And the best winger in Europe is....

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by johan neeskens, Nov 10, 2004.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Arjen Robben. In Holland we've known this for quite some time now, but unfortunately it takes a couple of games in the premiership to convince the rest of the world. He's quick, his technique is fab, but what I like most about him is that he doesn't show off or ponce about Ronaldo style - it's always directly to the goal, no detours. And he's only 20 - what a future the man's got.

Anyway feel free to state who your favourite winger is.

2. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't argue with you. Before Chelsea beat ManU for his signature I was holding out hope that Milan would buy him.

3. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's not our fault we dont ever see him in action now is it????You can't blame the rest of the world for not rating him when they obviously don't even see him play. The Dutch league is rarely screened around the world apart from Europe i'd think.

4. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    The same happened with Cristiano Ronaldo, with 17 he was already an emerging star, but Sporting had play against Manchester United and Ronaldo to constantly embarace half of Manchester United team to be known outside Portugal...
    About the best winger, Robben is without doubt a great player, Cristiano Ronaldo is different and IMO at this moment better than Robben, also players like Joaquin, Vicente should be ranked higher, but no doubt that Robben will become one of the best.

5. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Yes agree that Robben is the best. Hes unbelievably amazing. Hes 20 but looks 28.

Others: Downing, Reyes, Ronaldo, Joaquin, Duff.

6. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    ...Vicente

7. toonarmy44

toonarmy44 Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Tyne and Wear
    Everton FC's Zinadine Kilbane

8. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto
    Ronaldo by far. Gained a lot of experience in Manchester, and tactical notion.

Robben, altough amazing skill, still doesnt know how to position himself in the field.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Compared to Ronaldo? That's absolutely idiotic.

At any rate, the answer is Vicente.

10. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Out of all the ones mentioned...gotta go with Vicente...he was the offensive spurt Valencia needed to win 2 La Liga titles...the others haven't won anything...yet...although he is injured right now.

I would also mention Rosales, now of Ajax...he is one to watch.

11. Bilbao Lion

Bilbao Lion New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Bilbao
    Definitely Vicente. Robben looks pretty good too, but Vicente has been great for some years now.

12. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Giggs, LOL.

13. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
  14. SambaJ

SambaJ Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    DaMarcus Beasley, the replacement for Robben for Eindhoven. Amazing speed. But I honestly believe he will be well known within the next 2-4 years.

15. invincibles49

invincibles49 New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    ...and youre a fan of the chicago fire and the us. i know im a holland fan but beasley is completely and utterly inferior to mr arjen robben.

16. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Do not forget Rothen,Guily and Solari.

17. illuminatus

illuminatus New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    Vicente without a shadow of a doubt. Guarantees you lots of goals and lots of assists as well. Doesn't matter if he doesnt have the stepovers of Ronaldo or the speed of Robben. He's the one who gets results.

Look at what's happening to Valencia without him.

18. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  19. Offside2

Offside2 New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    The revelation Arjen Roben ofcourse. True, he hasn't played a lot of games, but is influence is massive and his effectiveness equals that. If people have any doubts I suggest that they also watch the last 5 Chelsea games. His overlapping value is also recognized by the objective skysports team.

20. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto
    Mourinho said the team improved a lot with his comeback. He has scored 4 goals in 4 games, including two 1-0 winners.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Vicente is best. I would keep Ronaldo above Robben just now. Ronaldo is more consistant at all levels, but Robben can blow a bit hot or cold, particularly for the NT. However, they are still young. Ronaldo is more skilful and I think he will eventually be a lot better, but Robben is more direct.

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I should add, there seems to be a great lack of quality wingers just now. All of the established greats, like Giggs, are approaching the end of their career and are less effective. Apart from Joaquin, Ronaldo, Vicente and Robben, I can't think of many more.

Any ideas?

23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    here's some new talent

[​IMG]

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Ronaldo is more consistent? Seriously? Did you watch the games this weekend? Unbelievable.

25. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my favorite is robben, but vicente is probably the best, with robben closing in. cronaldo has potential and should be great one day. joaquin and exterrbia (sp?) are up towards the top of the class. giuly is pretty classy. and ya i cant think of many more.
    oh ya, ze roberto :D