An unexpected Yank Abroad?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Danks81, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Ok, I know he's not truly a Yank, but I just found out that Santiago Solari went to Richard Stockton College in New Jersey.

Here's an article from about a year ago ...

http://www.stockton.edu/ospreys/solari.htm

Does anybody know any details regarding Solari's time there?

2. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I remember reading a El Grafico (Argentina's Sports Illustrated) article on him and saying that when he returned from college his skill level had gone down because of the lower level of competition there. Of course, he recovered.

4. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    Before the crash, there was more info on the college boards DIII thread. Somebody over there may know more, but apparently he had some down-time that fall before joining up with Real, and had some family at Richard-Stockton. That is all I can remember.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Solari's dad and uncle coached the 94 Saudi World Cup team.

Team trained at Richard Stockton.

Solari was 18 at the time and supposed to start his career with River Plate that winter.

Coach at Richard Stockton was used by the Saudis/Solaris as an envoy and got to know the family.

With Solari having some down time till his pro career started, dad suggested he get some schoolin' in and spend the fall 94 semester at Stockton. They had a team and he played for them.

That was his only season of college ball.

Went to River, showed well, after a couple years went to Athletico Madrid and eventually transfered to Real Madrid. He's since played, and scored, for Argnetina and won La Liga and Champion's League trophies.

Suffice to say, that's the most impressive post-college career of anyone who ever played college ball in the states.

6. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    Not to go into a tangent of completely irrelevant information but I think John Oshea at ManU went to college here and he also could end up having an impressive resume.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Uh, I'm pretty sure O'Shea came up through ManU's system. He's only 22 and he's been with them for a while.

From ManU's site: John signed professional terms with United in August 1998 and made his first team debut just over a year later, away to Aston Villa in a Worthington Cup defeat.

In August of 98, O'Shea was 17. So, unless he was playing college ball at age 16 - not impossible, but doubtful - you're mistaken.

8. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    So, the only part I had right was that he went to Richard-Stockton . . . oh wait, that information was already given.

Its official foks, drugs are bad!

9. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    Got it. I thought I had heard that he had played here at one point.

10. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    You know what, I think I remembered hearing the same thing about O'Shea.

11. StEtienne

StEtienne Member

Mar 10, 2000
    USA
    Sure you're not thinking of Scottish international and Everton defender, David Weir?
    Played college ball for University of Evansville, in Indiana.