An open letter to the Nordecke (massive report)

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by Kryptonite, May 21, 2011.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris LaMacchia checks in with a new article over at www.massivereport.com

A few key points:
    1) He sees it slowly becoming more about individuals and less about the team.

2) The different groups all have their favorite chants that seem to be going on at the same time. From across the field, this sounds like crap.

--And really, we SHOULD all be chanting the same thing, at the same time. One thing i've noticed is that people in 101 will be chanting something, and the people in 139/140 will either be chanting something else, or it'll be the same chant, but at a different part.

Going back to 08, I remember a lot of arms moving in tune with the songs. IMO, this worked great, as people several sections away could visually coordinate with each other. If you couldn't hear what they were saying, because of whatever going on near you, at least you had something to see.

3) Dump "YSA". Even the Timbers Army says that if Seattle likes it, it's no longer cool.

4) Get a two-stick or a scarf to hold up.
    --If you're not creative enough to make a two-stick, you can buy a scarf for $20, if not less than that.

5) Get new chants, and teach the others around you the current ones.

1 person likes this.
  2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me me me me me me

3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, yes. And it's not just myself who sees it. I talked to a lot of different people before writing this, asking them what they think is different about the Nordecke this year, and all of them - without fail - said that it has become too much of a free-for-all party with emphasis on getting on TV or in the paper - and less about supporting the club, or even watching the game.

4. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    1) Fire Crew Union
    2) Trade the Hooligans and Mendoza for a handful of ECS.
    3) Move La Turbina back into the attacking mid position.

Problem solved.

5. machque

machque Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Delaware OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are not in HR5; Kasich knew better than to f*&^ with us. Fire us and I'll file a NLRB complaint:p

Oh and we can get more for the Hooligans if we don't saddle them with the dead wood of Mendoza.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    La Turbina moving is what is killing the coordination on chants.

7. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I got an idea for a chant for when Toronto comes to town.

One Way or Another you'll screw up
    You can't Beat us beat us beat us beat us
    One way or anoher we wont lose it
    You can't Beat us beat us beat us beat us

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDLcyXzLMfg"]YouTube - ‪One way or another Lyrics- Blondie‬‏[/ame]

still needs some work but hey its something new for us.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yawn. I would return this rubbish letter unopened.

9. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe it's time for a capo or whatever they call them here.

10. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    double post

11. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

12. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I wouldn't expect a mature response to that question. Some people can't take criticism / are easily offended / oversensitive, especially when someone dares to criticize their beloved Nordecke. They take it too personally.

I thought it was a great article and that the majority of the criticisms were completely valid. Of course there needs to be unity in a SG. If the chants aren't in sync or multiple chants are happening simultaneously, I doubt this helps the team or gets the rest of CCS pumped up.

There are certain fans (maybe not the majority, but enough) who sit in the Nordecke in order to let out their inner idiot and don't give a damn about coordination, and this needs to change. But this isn't even close to the main problem: the lack of unity.

And yes YSA needs to go. I know it's done out of tradition, but it's stupid, useless, and has absolutely no effect on the goalkeeper (the only thing about the article I didn't like was using the opinion of the Timbers Army as a point of argument. Who gives a damn about the Timbers Army?)

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Wow. Somebody's jumping to conclusions in the first and third paragraphs. I hear there's a mat for that.

14. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Why else would someone completely dismiss the article as "rubbish"? If someone intelligently disagrees with the content of the article, that's one thing. But to simply say "yawn, this article sucks" screams immaturity.

I'm waiting for someone to disagree with the content of the article in an intelligent fashion. If they can't, that speaks volumes.

15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured it was pretty self-explanatory to intelligent people why the article is rubbish. I suppose you are not one of those people.

edit: This article reads like any BS thread regarding a roof, quality management, atmosphere, etc. I think many of us have been saying all ten of these things for years. This kid may have some glorified notion of what the section was in "Oh Eight," but I think he has some type of glasses on a la when you break up with someone and then think "why aren't we together anymore, we were so ******** happy."

No. You were not happy. And no, the North End was never perfect.

And what qualifications does some guy who sits on the other end of the stadium have to say to give the North End pointers? Do something about it. Seriously.

This letter was a waste of my time. Both the time I spent glancing through Krypto's synopsis and the time I then spent after you called me (in a bit of an indirect, demeaning manner) "unintelligent", and therefore, actually glanced through the article on that site.

How about the fact that this article really does not add much to the conversation?

Tip number whatever: "Get off your cell phone" Fantastic!

How about the fact that people are actually in the stands? That's a ******* miracle when you compare the numbers in oh I don't know "Oh Six."... **** I am getting pissed. I am stopping editing now.

16. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must be one of them there dumb-heads too. From a non-Nordecke observer, I agreed with many of the points raised.

This team reminds me of 2004 and what's happening in the Nordecke (to an outsider mind you) reminds me of all the infighting that appeared to go on in the old North End in section 137.

But again, I'm just a moe-ron since I thought the article brought up some valid points.

I suppose it's too much for us to hope that you can bless us with your superior intellect and explain to us mouth breathers why the article is so off base.

1 person likes this.
  17. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    First of all, I said your response was unintelligent, not you. It's very much possible to be an intelligent person and reply in an unintelligent fashion. And no, it's clearly not obvious to intelligent people why "the article is rubbish," but I understand why you wrote that.

Secondly, calm down a bit. It's Sunday for crying out loud.

Anyway, I feel as though you and many others won't accept any criticism of the Nordecke. From anyone. I think we can all agree that the existence of the Nordecke is a good, positive thing. But that doesn't mean it can't be improved from time to time. And if this writer of the article can't criticize it, then who can?

P.S. Why do you call it the North End?

18. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because she wants to make herself appear superior by referring to the new thing by the old name.

Also, based on the amount of information she has available on her FB, she really isn't in a position to call me "kid." I'm just shy of 4 years her senior. But, again, what do I know?

19. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Ah. Admittedly, I only became a Crew fan when the "Nordecke" was just beginning.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for someone to point out the fallacies in your argument. So far the only counterarguments I've read are "the Nordecke is still better than it used to be!" and "who are you to criticize the Nordecke?" And the personal attacks. Neat.

Can someone please separate emotion from logic?

20. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I agree that Nordecke needs to get back to where we were in 2008 and that we need to come up with some new material. You would think with all the anger at the front office we could use our chanting and signs to Protest what has happened to our team.

21. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Nordecke does mean North Corner... so it's still pretty much the North End of the stadium... let's not argue over semantics. The fact is, yes there are problems, but there were even problems in the middle of the magic 08 season... and since I didn't sit with the group prior to that season, I was never really privy to the goings-on so I cannot speak to it. That said, I had season tickets since 06 and I know the crowds of which Chelsey speaks... I saw maybe 6-8 games in the 2005 season too, on both sides of the firing, and the crowds are far more tuned into the game these days it seems. But the problem is this: if you want to grow the Nordecke, you are gonna have to get new blood. And the fact of the matter is, there will always be attrition of the weakest and the ones who don't care as much. But in the meantime, you will make some new fans who will stick.

So there are good points, and also points that are bloody well obvious that they will happen eventually when something becomes heavily inflated and then the balloon gets popped by poor play on the field.

22. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ah, the "real fan" arguement where in Columbus you were here before the Nordecke was the Nordecke. If you were in the North End you weren't exactly missing much: maybe 20 people and one flag some games.

Yeah, those were some good times.

BTW, not directed towards you, eboe.

1 person likes this.
  23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. One of the top priorities should be figuring out how to get them back into the middle. If it involves roping a section off for them, so be it. Just as the heart is in the middle of the body, pumping the blood outwards, we need LTA in the middle of the Nordecke.

I remember one game either in 08 or 09, when I was very late arriving to a game. The Nordecke was in full voice, and so synchronized that I could make out individual words to the chants in the parking lot between the drainage ditch and the train tracks.

Try to get that happening when we have 2-3 different chants going on.

As for the YSA, while I haven't talked to opposing goalkeepers, I can certainly imagine that most of them have become immune to it. I want to say there's one stadium where they just yell "you suck" but in the vast majority of stadiums, they do the whole YSA. After years and years of the entire league doing a chant, it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that the effect just isn't working anymore. If it WAS working, we'd have goalkeepers botching goal kicks, or getting in foul moods to the point of being carded, or whatever.

24. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not to mention YSA is a Fire thing.

Makes me feel dirty just thinking about it...

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back to elementary school and learn to ********** read. I gave no counterarguments. WHAT I SAID was that everything that was in that article:

1 - has already been said

and/or

2 - obvious

and/or

3 - romanticizing the past

and/or

4 - not necessary to even waste time writing

Oh - and as to the "fallacies" in my supposed argument, which amounted to = "that article was a waste of time," which I feel I gave plenty of premises to and if you followed the inferential logic, then perhaps, you might reach that conclusion. The only fallacy might be the whole "who the hell are you to say yadda yadda" .... which is just my opinion.