An Open Letter to the 2004 Kansas City Wizards

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Unorthodox Yank, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already posted this in the "add to your post count" thread, but since i get the feeling it sums up the feelings of more than a few people on this board, i figured it was time for it's own thread.

If there is any way someone could forward this on to Curt and/or the team, that would be magnificent.

======================

Dear 2004 Kansas City Wizards,

I write this on the plane back home. Up until about 2 months ago, "home" for me was Kansas City. Now, It's London, England.
    Some would say that not more than 4 hours ago, the final whistle blew on a disappointing MLS Cup that would make me regret ever making the effort to come all the way to LA. Especially since I would be leaving again just 24 hours after I arrived.

But I don't see it that way.

That's because not more than 4 hours ago, the final whistle blew on what all Wizards fans would agree has been one of the most incredible seasons in this team's history.

And I was proud to be there.

You guys suffered setbacks that would have crippled most teams. But as the fans have seen over the past several months, The Wizards are clearly not "most teams."

You won the US Open Cup.
    You finished with more wins than anyone else in the league.
    You won 1st place in the Western Conference.
    You overcame a 2-0 deficit to progress to the semifinals of the playoffs.
    You made it to the MLS Cup after a dominating display in the semi-final.

And you did it without the reigning league MVP. You did much of it without your leading goal scorer from last season. You did half of it without the person who had stepped in to fill some of the offensive void created by the loss of the first two. You did it without your starting goalkeeper and everyday team captain for the stretch run, And, most importantly to me, you did it when it seemed everybody was either writing you off, putting you down, or just plain not paying any attention.

Well, Wizards, though there may be some among us fans that wrote you off initially, I can assure you that we never stopped paying attention. In fact, as the people I woke up at 3 A.M. screaming at the top of my lungs "KC 3 SAN JOSE 0!!!!!!" can attest to, your play only strengthened our commitment. It was confident, it was organized, and the effort that was put into it was astounding.

That's the kind of play I saw on the field not more than 4 hours ago. That's the kind of play I've seen all season. And that's the reason that as I type this, despite my natural post-defeat disappointment, I have never been prouder to be a Wizards fan.

Thank you for that.

Here's to a great 2004, and an even better 2005.
    -Alex

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen, brother. Outstanding post.

3. amcwiz5

amcwiz5 New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Tucson/Overland Park
    Amazing!!! You put into words what I know ALL of us have been feeling! Thank you so much!!!

4. Davy's#1Gal

Davy's#1Gal New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    That was beautiful. Brought tears to the eyes. Reading things like this and reading some of the posts and getting an insight to understanding who my fellow Wizard fans are is just another reason why I'm proud to be a Wizards fan.

5. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Great letter. Wish I could have been at the final with you.

6. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent post. Its fans like YOU who will ensure not only the survival, but the GROWTH of MLS and its member clubs.

You know what its like to win it all, and you know what its like to come oh so close, and you know what its like to SUCK. THAT we both have in common. The saying "that which does not kill us makes is stronger" absolutely applies here.

Props to you, and your fellow Wizards fans who bring it ever game, and will keep on doing so through the best times, and the worst. YOu are JUST LIKE US only you bleed KC BLUE, and I bleed BLACK & RED, and that is the only real difference between us, that we support different clubs. Cheers to you! :D

REP is coming your way.

7. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Very well written Alex.

8. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll pass it along to the team. Thanks, Alex.

9. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Well written Alex. Somes up my thoughts exactly.

10. Sometimes, someone writes something that comes from the heart of passion. This "open letter" typifies the great feeling shared by all fans of the Wiz.

I am not a member of the Cauldron. I am merely a fan of the game. I will forever remember the stirring image of the KC players, beaten and dejected, coming over to the Cauldron after the game to thank you for your GREAT showing. I truly believe each of them regretted they could not have given you the Cup.

Remember that image next time you feel like bashing one of them.

Well written letter. thank you.

11. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Unorthodox Yank again.

12. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    Me too.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me three. Someone needs to give him rep for it. LOL

14. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Rep given for who can't

15. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very well said my friend. It was a pleasure to meet you this weekend. I'm sure I'll see you somewhere in Germany in '06!

16. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the things that I also think can't be stressed enough is their "team first" mentality. They play well together. Amazing talent just meshes together. I think you can actually experience the love and respect the team has for each other from the stands -- it almost pulls you in and makes you part of it.

That, to me, was the X-factor this year. They had more heart and more regard for one another that they played every minute together. I never went to watch my favorite players -- I always went to watch the Wizards. No matter who was on the pitch or who was down, they didn't miss a beat.

I hope inevitable changes don't screw that up.

17. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post, Alex. It sums up the way I'm sure most of us feel.

18. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice. Thanks for posting that.

19. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When preparing to fly out to LA last weekend a lot of people I know gave me a puzzled look as to why I was going. Even more so when they found it was live on TV.

I said well I am going with a ton of other people, including this guy that's flying in from London just for the game.

The look on their faces said it all. They just don't get it.

It's been a pleasure to stand in the Cauldron this season and get to know a lot of you a lot more. I have been in the Cauldron almost 3 full seasons now and with the road trip to Columbus and the trip to LA I would like to think I have made some pretty good friends.

We all have something in common and can talk about the game and the team without puzzled looks and having to explain the offside rule. Hard to measure that but it seems important somehow. :D

It was a great season on the field and in the Cauldron. I look forward to seeing some of you in the off season at our newly formed "footy kickarounds" or at a bar on a Friday night lamenting that friggin' handball :)

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  21. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet

I know that's over, but 2 f... goals. Offside, not given, or else. I was so angry about that.

I remember the betray Schalke vs.Unterhaching - Munich in Hamburg.
    Goals given what never been.

Ok, DC is champion, but only that. And not more.

22. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    No hot Tub, no sharona, no fun.
    Next year we will change.

But what, Schalke is in the race.

23. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    "We are the Wizards!!
    The mighty, mighty Wizards!!!!"

You guys made me proud.

I look back at this season, and nothing but tears come to my eyes. The players did a great job, and nothing can be taken away from them. But these fans, most you'll see in this picture, started what I believe will be the beginning of something great for this organization.

Next year, we're going to Dallas. We might just show up in Chicago and Columbus. We'll be at any WCQs that we can get to. We're KC and you better start listening to us!!!

24. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    >Not a lot, but an Army, excuse that one fault, but we came.

We are here a lot, almost 70,000 or so but we will suppport you stronger.
    12,000 att is a shame.
    Here we go, nothing work.
    I'`m a loser. Noting left to closer
    I'm a loser, and now the warfare had just began, our canons of destruction have just began.

Kansas for ever.

The ********ing last game.

25. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    ******** yeah.