An illegal field used in Antigua & Barbuda?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Scotty, Oct 13, 2012.

1. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Exactly!

2. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    lol @ trying to calculate the width of the field based on pixels from screenshots that are at weird angles and claiming that is more accurate than what the people who were actually there and measured the field themselves came up with.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You don't need pixels as long as you assume that the field markings are correct. The only calculation needed is from the 11 yd mark to the penalty area. Everything else is already considered a known amount.

4. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    - Please quote+source the people who were there and measured the field themselves.
    - Please point out where I calculated the width of the field based on pixels from a screenshot.
    - Please point out where I claimed that my work was more accurate than what the people who were actually there and measured the field themselves came up with.

You can't? I didn't think so either. "Lol."

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the side line to the hash would be 11 yards. The hash is 10 yards from the edge of the corner arc which is 1 yard.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    That was noted and corrected on Saturday.

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I've gotta get with the times!

8. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every post that implies that the field was smaller than regulation.

9. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Nonsense.
    Btw, you're moving the goal posts.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy to do when the goal posts are too close together...

:D

11. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Would there be a way to take an overhead picture of the field as it is today from the Internet using google earth or some other way?

12. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Yes, if you have the money to rent a satellite, or send a plane. The Internet doesn't take any pictures.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  13. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Didn't know if there was an app that showed live conditions. I guess not. Good idea though.

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you even get how childishly rediculous is your request for a "quote+source" for the officials that were there?

USSF and USMNT officials were there. We can safely assume they do their job without having to have proof. If you asked any of them about it they would not humour you with a response. Might just laugh in your face.

The whole notion that the field was smaller than regulation is just patently absurd. In line with the apollo space missions being filmed in a studio on earth.

Complete nut-job stuff this whole allegation is.

15. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately the google maps image doesn't have the field lined for soccer, it's a cricket stadium afterall. However you can easily measure and see that the stadium would accommodate a 75 yard wide field.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    T&T used the max sized field (80x120) on their cricket ground vs. the US in 2004.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The referees also pace off all the measurements during their pregame.

18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That'll be about as accurate as a ref doing it for 10 yards on freekicks but for 70-75 yards by 110-120. No where near close enough. I don't know what legal width is and know something was measured before kickoff but don't know what. I have been watching soccer for so long and have never seen a field so narrow. It was just very odd to my eyes, and it changes dramatically how the game is played to the advantage of the lesser, defensive team. This is coming from someone who also watched alot of games on the notoriously narrow field of Frontier Field where the Rhinos played all their games and beat alot of MLS teams in those days in the US Open Cup because of it.

19. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    If you could take a picture of it live (if it is still lined)- or, a couple of days ago - while it was lined for soccer. That would work, right.

I am surprised there isn't a way to do it.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    As a referee, you are confirming all the measurements. 6 yd penalty box; 12 yd penalty dot; 18 yd box; checking the 10 yards from corner arc to 11 yd hash mark. And while at it, you check the distance between the hash and the 18 yd box to give yourself an idea of the width of the field so you are aware how to manage/position yourself during the match.

21. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you seeing a field that was narrow, or were you merely seeing a field that had much more grass than usual outside the lines?

I'm used to being able to use the edge of the grass as a visual cue to where the touch line is, and on at least one occasion I was fooled by the huge margin on the side, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the pitch was narrower than allowed.

22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't think that was the case because the visual cue is normally the ad boards on the opposite side and we can't see this side with the camera. It was more the placement of the players and their inability to make the normal overlapping run or the space between players. It was soccer in a phone booth. Just not appealing to watch because you can't pass to anyone. There were a few times that the ball was called out and it just didn't seem to be enough room for 22 players.

23. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the island, the locals were stating news reports that FIFA officials actually deemed the field to be unplayable due to the standing water, but only determined that after the game had started. Since the game had already started, the officials on site ruled that the game would be completed. The field was small, but we were in the stands early enough to see people measuring the field. There was nothing wrong with the dimensions.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  24. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Reminds me of the Guatemala/Antigua game. That game should have been cancelled.

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Then they have no say. It is entirely the referee's decision at that point.