An illegal field used in Antigua & Barbuda?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Scotty, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tropical storm approaching. Short pitch. Silver lining? Cricket Oval kept fans 100 yards away from the team benches. So, bags of urine unable to land anywhere near team USA.
    Antigua & Barbuda were able to find Byers in a way in which we were incapable of finding Gomez. Gomez' two mis-touched balls to his feet entering box were unforgivable. Players had to adjust.
    Still, sh*tty field makes for sh*tty soccer.
    Short field with acres of space available is total gamesmanship and totally par for CONCACAF course.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    no bags of urine in the Caribbean. Don't confuse the island people with Central America. Caribbean people are some of the nicest, most generous in the world!
    As far as I know the USA team has never had ANY trouble in the islands and the players usually comment on how well they were treated by the other team AND their fans.

3. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're absolutely correct. My apologies to anyone offended.
    :(

4. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    First barely legal fields now bags of urine.

This thread has really gone down the toilet.

Hachiko repped this.
  5. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In March 2008, FIFA set fixed dimensions for all international games to 105 x 68m, ie 75yrds wide. This was known as the Gleneagles agreement. Not sure what happened to that. I know FIFA grants lots of waivers, but it looked like there was room in Antigua for a 75 yard wide field.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/ifab/media/news/newsid=707751/index.html

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  6. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Fixed size for football pitch
    "Another decision at Gleneagles was to fix the size of a soccer field for men's international matches at 105 x 68 metres. [...] The Welsh Football Association proposed the change, arguing that size variation was an advantage for home teams, who could alter the size of the field against what the visiting team was used to."
    http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Interna...ccer_field_size,_halts_technology_experiments

7. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Flushed down with a rain shower.

Hachiko repped this.
  8. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should correct myself. It's not ALL international games. Just "A" games. "A" games are defined:

Friday was an "A" game.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw, crap. I made the same mistake. I feel stoopid.

10. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first part of this post is unarguably rediculous. The Antiguans are more hospitable, more respectful, and better sportsman than the most US fans, the majority of this board, and especially the above poster. The very concept that the Antiguans would throw anything at all at the US players is so deeply rooted in ignorance it is unfathomable that a sentient human being expressed it.

You folks sound so freakin whiney. You have no problem with Columbus in February or ANY OTHER decision USSF can make to give the US an advantage but cry like babies when a nation of 80,000 poor folk make decisions, within the rules, to help their ambitions. The SVR Cricket ground was the best they have. It handled the rain very well. I am just dumbfounded at the sniveling whining going on here.

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I think the comment within the rules we have an issue with with the width of the field. I have no issue with the Cricket ground because they can choose any stadium and it is all they had. They could and chose not to make the width within the rules.

12. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    It looks like they did.
    Anyway, I don't care. I just find it an interesting case.

13. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa there DJ!

[NQR] No WC venue in Nor Cal

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still think the pitch was not regulation size? I don't.

USSF officials and FIFA officials were there. The assumption that they all let the game go on a non-regulation field is one I cannot accept.

Neuwerld repped this.
  15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure if anyone corrected you, but it would be 70 yards. The 10 yd strip is actually 11 yards from the corner. The corner arc is one yard.

17. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
  18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I think that's what his program is saying that it was 10 when it should have been 11. Without starting with a known that can't be changed (taking half of 8 yards for the goal) this is interesting guesswork.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Good enough. I was just too lazy to read through the thread to see if someone corrected the original post.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Me too,

21. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am glad you guys won, thus handing it to the man (in this case CONCACAF). It's obvious this is part of some bigger conspiracy to leave the US out of the hex. :x3:

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the point is: that was the worst field for a USA WCQ game in memory

flickon repped this.
  23. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
  24. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field we played on was as such because that is what they can afford. I am sure if they had a better stadium we would have played in it:geek:

25. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. In 1984, we played a qualifier on a dirt field in the Netherlands Antilles. In 2004, the field in Grenada may not have been too bad before the deluge, but by halftime it was a swamp (one of the U.S. goals came when Donovan put a sitter into the net after the ball rolled to a stop in a puddle).

That said, it was awful, although it may have been just as bad for Jamaica and Guatemala when they played in Antigua.