an Eredivisie question

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DavidK, Dec 28, 2004.

1. DavidK

DavidK New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    How come so many good dutch players choose to play in Scotland rather than in Holland?

The climate is worse in Scotland
    Eredivisie has got a much higher avarage attendance.
    Dutch teams do better in Europe than scottish teams
    Eredivisie is more exiting, three teams usualy fighting for the title
    In Scottland only two
    3 times more people living in Holland than in Scottland, so the comersial money should be higher.

Anyway through the years many good dutch players choose to play in Scotland rather than in Hollland

WHY?????

2. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    The players that chose to play for Rangers or Celtic came mainly from lower teams in the Dutch league. So for them the move was an improvement.

3. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    At least it is when it comes to cash.

And Frank de Boer for example didn't want to play for Ajax last year because they only wanted to offer him a one year contract.

4. DavidK

DavidK New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    What about that Arthur Numan guy. Didnt he move from PSV to Rangers?

5. 1900AFCA1900

1900AFCA1900 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Utrecht, Holland
    I think that Rangers and Celtic have a lot more money than the Dutch teams (including the top 3). So it's all about the money. And Numan, I think it was because of Advocaat and the money he went.

6. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They're not good enough for other leagues, plus the Eredivisie teams wanna cash in/dump them.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

muh huh, whatever guy

8. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, as they say "the grass is always greener on the other side"

for players who want a change of scenery but can't get a contract in a "big" league (Spain, England Germany, etc.) the SPL is a great option. It's a small version of the EPL when it comes to support/atmosphere, I guess the salaries are roughly the same, Rangers and Celtic probably pay more than Ajax PSV or Feyenoord, but the other clubs pay less than say: Heerenveen, AZ and the likes...

Mark de Vries played in the quite desolate dutch first Division and there was no real interest from a Eredivisie club, so playing for Hearts was an opportunity he couldn't let go. Same with Ricksen, he had the opportunity to go to Rangers instead of waiting for our top 3 to make the call...

9. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam
    We shouldn't forget that Dick Advocaat was coach of Rangers for a long time, and probably had huge influence over what players were bought.

10. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    from fifa.com:

Money was always the issue why players preferred the SPL over the Dutch League, I wonder how long they can keep this up.

11. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Convincing argument, I must say.