An Army of (No) One...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An Inside Look at the Military's Internet Recruiting War

Some will consider this lots of reading. Excerpt (conclusion):

I'd think that potential recruits that surf the 'net may be more likely to come across ogrish.com-type, reality-of-war content that would seemingly reduce susceptibility to the marketing...

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kids turn up in droves when the war is just, and if Rummy'd had an ounce of foresight he could have doubled the size of the army as well as gotten probably 50% of the military to voluntarily extend their service in the weeks after 9/11. But we wanted a smaller, leaner army - how's that going so far?

*cue Karl K doing the Kevin Bacon thing from Animal House...

3. SandiG

SandiG New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Didn't you guys hear that the insurgency is in its' "last throes"? Who needs an army?

4. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I called my recruiter in North Jersey, from Dallas, on 9/12...but you're right in hinging teen/youth reaction on the just nature of the thing; a combination of access to the unedited content that comprises a fuller picture of this thing, combined with its unjustness, its illegality, I'll submit revisedly, may in fact drive 'net youth away, and not toward, this Excutive's designs...

5. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Recruiters lie and use underhanded tactics ?

NO WAY !

This has been going on since the Army went all volunteer

This is nothing new

6. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    No problem then.

What?

7. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Go to a recruiter and then to MEPS and see for yourself what it's like

8. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the Navy stopped clubbing drunks outside of bars to fill their ranks.

Or maybe not, I could be an admiral by now.

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I'm not disputing that that's how it is. I'm disputing that that reality makes it OK.

10. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Ask folks you know in the military about the recruitment process

You'll see this crap has been there since the start

Recruiters are like used car salesmen and spammers

11. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Again, I'm not denying the reality (I met with a recruiter when I was in high school so I'm more than familiar with the tactics). I'm just not willing to say that because that's the way it's always been* that I'm willing to accept it.

* There have also been numerous reports that recruiters have kicked it up a notch in recent months given their remarkably lackluster recruiting numbers. So if it was bad to begin with, I can only imagine how it is now.

12. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    I really don't think it's the 'net that's keeping recruits away -- it's more human-based than that. Your parents don't want you to join the Army because they didn't raise you to be cannon fodder, and you go to the barbeque for your cousin who just got back from Iraq and you hear him say he wishes he'd joined the Navy instead ... and it's a lot more complex and a lot more subtle than that.

As far as recruiting goes, here's an interesting look at a day in the life of a recruiter.

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both my brothers enlisted in the Navy out of HS. Some of their stories about kids being railroaded into sh!t jobs (Yeoman, Engineman, Boiler Tech, etc.) are truly scary.

14. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our alleged "open" colleges and universities shutting the door to active duty military recruitment and Reserve Officer Training School (ROTC) function on campus, it is no small surprise that the Armed Services suffer shortfalls. Harvard leads the discriminatory pack in allowing perversion on campus via homosexual organizations yet denies active military recruitment. Strange it is that Harvard's alumni in uniform suffered so tragically for the freedom that the college now wrongly wields.

I like the idea being bandied about to restrict federal funding from any school denying military recruiters or ROTC instruction; it keeps the schools honest, for which Harvard, among others, is not.

15. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    This guy's a hoot.

16. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great article. I'm amazed that only 2 out of 13 people passed the ASVAB that day. I took it and it is pretty basic stuff.

17. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really.

18. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd like to restrict federal funding to schools that don't support the arts.. oh wait... that's why there aren't any arts in the schools any more.. the government....

you know, maybe (itn) you'd be a more compassionate person if you had taken theatre or art in school. you know, with all those homos. :)

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That artist did a really good job hiding Jon Saraceno's receding hairline. His USA Today photo makes him look much older than your avatar.