an apology to sir alex over our defensive tactics

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by tuseef, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nah, those seem to have slipped my mind. The words "nine" and "nill" still have a certain resonance though. ;)

2. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Actually, the 0-5 is one of my favourite memories (which just goes to show how much Tuseef actually understands about football (and that's the case partly because of the legendary 0-9 and the 4-3). When we went 4-0 down, we were all singing "We're going to beat you 5-4" and all the Scousers turned around and started applauding us! Magic. A great moment at Anfield, that.

And now, Matt, we're going to have to stop talking because, as Tuseef says, Palace aren't in the Premiership so I have no right to express an opinion among the big boys. LOL.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, I was at that game, it was a good 'un. Clinton Morrison's ill-advised comments about Micheal Owen's chances in the first leg were a bit of spur for the crowd and the Palace fans also more than did their bit. Morrison's air-shot from three yards out midway through the second half, right in front of the Kop, was a beautoiful moment. I have since seen his expression close-up in the TV replays - and "rueful" doesn't even BEGIN to cover it. :D

The Palace fans did leave a great impression behind that night. I'll never forget the fact that they were all singing "Na-na-naa, na-na-naa PAL-LACE" for 20 minutes straight at the end, not even pausing for breath as Blobby put the fifth and final nail in their coffin.

Good match, that.

4. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    Re: Re: Re: Re: an apology to sir alex over our defensive tactics

not really....maybe something to do the fact they are numbers not words ;)

so your a season ticket holder for 33 years?!!!

well if you are, then i commend you on your support for palace...but even you should remember that liverpool have won 18 league titles...just becos we didnt win the "premiership" it doesnt mean im going to brush off those achievements does it?

we havent won the champions league either....does that mean the 4 european cups that guys like shankly, paisley and fagan worked so hard to achieve mean nothing to you as well?

and for your information...i still regard lfc as bigger than man utd....and just to prove it i will STILL take the piss out of them even when we dominate the next decade

how about that?

5. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    and the fact that you think Houllier is only worthy of "carrying fergusons jockstrap" shows how little you know about football

houllier has given his all for this club...even to the point where it almost cost him his life

have some respect...even the man yoo fans wouldnt go that far

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but Houllier has not won a Champions League trophy or a League Championship either.

7. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    I honestly believe (dont laugh) that within the next 2/3 seasons Houllier will bring us the title

as for champions league...i still think we are (minimum) 5 years away from achieving that....and if we are to do that we must topple the madrids and munichs of this world (tough proposition)

8. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's come a long friggin' way in his time at the club though. I dare say he'll win it at least once before he leaves management behind him.

And as to the Boring, boring, Liverpool crap. I bet Leciester, Derby, and Ippo supporters wished their teams were as boring as Liverpool.

9. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: an apology to sir alex over our defensive tactics

About Houllier first, I agree that the phrasing I used ("couldn't carry Fergie's jock strap") was probably over the top. However, as a successful manager I think the point, in its broadest sense, does stand. Whether I like Fergie or not -- and frankly, I don't -- he is streets ahead of any other manager (Wenger excepted, but not Houllier) in the game today by any measure you can think of (with the possible exception of human decency, in which Houllier is streets ahead of him).

I also think your comment about Houllier "almost giving his life" for Liverpool is equally over the top. Lots of us have stressful jobs. Some of us have medical conditions that impair heart function. When the two correspond, bad things happen. They happen to people who love their jobs (like Houllier) and they happen to people who hate them. It may well be that the stress of Houllier's job brought on the heart attack, but it does not follow from that that Houllier almost gave his life for Liverpool. You might surmise the reverse, that Liverpool almost killed Houllier in spite of all he's done for them, and if you did you'd be equally wrong there, too. Houllier is a hard working man with a weak heart who had a medical problem, period. Those facts tell us nothing about his love for his job (or not, as the case may be).

Just to be clear (about me), I had my first season ticket at Palace in season 1969 -- 1970 and held one every year until the late 1980's, when I lived in the States for a few years. I returned in 1994 and have had a season ticket since. During my time in the States, I came back twice a season and saw around three matches on each trip (not including reserve games). You should commend me for that (LOL)...can you imagine going all those years for the Zenith Cup as your highlight!

I'm obviously not going to belittle the Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and (you didn't mention) Dalglish years. I saw their teams and I know how good they were. Among the very greatest, (if not THE greatest) sides the British game has known. But Liverpool (or any other team) could win the championship ad infinitum and ad nauseam and they would probably never be bigger than Manchester United. Liverpool operate as a giant in the British game and a big name on the world stage. Manchester United, for reasons which have only partially to do with performance on the pitch (which is why other sides cannot compete for the title "biggest"), are simply in another league.

By all means regard Liverpool as bigger than ManUre if you want to. You'd be wrong to do so (and I suspect you know it as well), but if it makes you happy, so be it. And certainly, take the piss out of them. I do it myself and hell, I support Palace. It's probably far more annoying for someone who follows a great team like Liverpool to have to deal with United's "bigness" than it is for someone who follows Palace (because we don't even try to compete with them in real sense). But the simple fact, United are the biggest. The consolation, of course, is that we don't have to believe that the biggest has to be the best.

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Entirely true in and of itself, but if I can add a little perspective on the issue from a Q & A with Houllier that I attended at the OSC meeting at Anfield the other night, he did actually say that his return for the Roma game last season was against his doctor's advise and something he did because he knew it would give team and - crucially - crowd a massive lift in what, to him, was the most important game the club had played under him. He added that the decision, healthwise, had been a mistake and that, in the final weeks of the season he was utterly exhausted, but could not show it for fear of an adverse effect upon his side's continuing say in the title race.

11. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Good contribution, Matt. Houllier is a great guy and, in fact, the best reason I can think of for wanting Liverpool to win the title is that it'd be nice to see a class guy finish first. And Houllier is class. No doubt about that. However, until he's won the title (or the Champions League), he is (not quite) in that most elite pantheon...

BTW, Clinton's Morrison's magical miss (to which you alluded earlier) really was a classic. And we (at Palace) can appreciate such moments (especially when they involve our own players) better than most. However, as ridiculous (I can't think of a better word) as Morrison's comments were throughout the period of those two games, I think everything from that time does explain why I think he'll make it in the Premiership this year. Whether it's self confidence, arrogance, or that he's just plain good enough (and it's probably a combination of all three), the boy really does have that mix that you need to get by at the top level.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh yeah - he's a good player all right. Bit raw, but then that's what a step up is for, eh? Polish that gem, so to speak. I can see him getting between 10 and 15 goals this season, which would be an admirable return first time out in the top flight.

13. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: an apology to sir alex over our defensive tactics

that cool...we understand each other

by the way..when i say liverpool are bigger than man utd...i am referring to history. Of course, on form over last decade man u piss all over us...but the tides turning

also houllier doesnt have as many honours as fergie, but only the 2 (premiership and champions league) elude him....he has certainly done more for liverpool in his 3.5 years as solo manager than ferguson did in his first few years at man utd

also he has done it gracefully....you dont see him complaining about refs, the weather....or not giving opponents any credit for beating us fair and square

allez les rouges!