An all Brazilian Final... I know I prob. wont watch, U?

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by FARFAN 17, Jul 4, 2005.

1. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    After my beloved River was knocked-out, It is going to be an all Brazilian final for libertadores. San Pablo-Atl. Paranaense. I really am not the biggest fan of the Brasilian league, so I really won't wanna watch.

Is anyone else dissapointed, who will watch?

2. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm not dissapointed, just because you're favorite club didn't make it you have to be dissapointed? (a little bit I guess, but then that means they didn't deserve to be there). I'm a fan of fútbol first of all, and these two teams beat every other team that stood in their path, I'm going to watch.

3. G D L

G D L New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Boston University
    but this is a FUTEBOL final, not futbol

i'll watch it, to see some great ball play hopefully, i wont necessarily be excited though

4. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I didn't say anything about being excited, or pulling for one team or the other, but I'm still going to watch.....

5. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    I hope they BOTH lose!!!!!

6. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Quit being so sour and enjoy two teams from the best league in the continent play the final.

7. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    I'll watch.

It won't be as exciting since it's not country vs. country but it's the final. You have to watch a final.

BTW, Sao Paulo will take it. Easily.

8. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I know Brasil is the best at the sport, that is obvious. But, I find the Brasilerao or whatever it is called kind of boring, especially compared to Argentine League.

9. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Well, that is your opinion. I think exactly the opposite.

10. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I agree with the Farfan17 in the fact that Brasileirao games are a bit boring. But that's my opinion, brazilians have their own opinion of course. Nothing like an argie league game, where the game is intense throughout.
    But that doesnt mean I wont be watching these two games. The only reason i'll be watching is because Fodacao has gotten better, ALOT better. It will be interesting to see the outcome since they came up from being $hit to all the way to the final. Of course, I see this as Sao Paulo win, no question about it.

11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i can only imagine, the peruvian tabloids reaction if sao paulo wins the libertadores

12. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    3 reasons to watch:

1)My Brazil drinking/football buddy is a Sao Paolo fan
    2) There's a Colombian that plays for Atl. Para (Vladimir Marin--although I know he's being sold to Atl. Nacional)
    3) Atl Para. is a HUGE underdog versus the powerhouse of Sao Paolo, (kind of like last year's final Once vs Boca)

13. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    What's with the dissing of the Brazilian leauge. True, the fast pace of Argie matches & fans w/flags/jumping up and down/sparklers is amazing. but Brazilian is easily up there.

Besides, we have another scoring goalie scoring his way through the Copa Libertadores. If you can't get excited about a scoring GK, you got hit with a bag of bricks as a baby.

I kid, I kid. A bag of nails.
    and u have underdog scenario again. great stuff.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It would be nice if somebody from another country was playing a Brazilian team, so I could root for them to beat the Brazilians, but still, this is an interesting final. Sao Paulo has some great players which are worth watching, and in Paranaense we have an underdog worth rooting for.

Especially with all the crap they're having to put up with, like the confederation making them play in Porto Alegre instead of Couritiba, I think it makes me want even more to see the little David of Brazil beat the big Brazilian Goliath.

15. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    2) There's a Colombian that plays for Atl. Para (Vladimir Marin--although I know he's being sold to Atl. Nacional) (he actually looks a bit like Roberto carlos)

16. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    IMO, It's just too elaborate of a tournament. Too many cups, too many teams, etc. Now, when you have the big clubs playnig against each other, it's fun to watch, butoverall as a league/tournament, it's too complex. Plus, it's probably the only thing we can say negatively about Brazilian football...heck and even then, look what happens...2 Brazilian teams in the final!

17. danmarce

danmarce Member

May 8, 2004
    Quito, Ecuador
    I will support the team of Sao Paulo.

WAIT!

BOTH teams are from Sao Paulo!, aren't they?

I Like Sao Paulo a lot, but Atl. Paranaense is nice too.
    I'm not fan of the Brasilian league, but the teams are good, so i'll watch!

18. The_Sandman

The_Sandman New Member

Feb 7, 2005
    There's nothing wrong with an All-Brazil final. I can't wait. Argentine teams and fans have disgraced the sport with their behavior in the tournament. They don't deserve a spot in the final.

19. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Did anyone mention a scoring GK? :eek:
    *good times* reminds me of the old days of Nacional (COL) w/Higuita. Earliest memories of why i became a soccer fan as a wee youngin' all those years ago.

20. 256_Galaxy_fan

256_Galaxy_fan New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    Atletico is not from Sao Paulo. It is from the city of Curitiba. Curitiba is a major city in the southern part of Brasil. IT is a pretty nice place, with one of the most modern bus systems in the world. Ateltico is an up and coming team and I think their names will be big at some point... so watch history being made :D

21. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    replay of the game! I will do

after copa oro....

22. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Like I said... The game was relatively boring. I did'nt watch it, so I do not want to comment too much, but from what I saw the stadium was only about 70% full.

23. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I'm constantly amazed when I hear this. What is too elaborate or complex about it?

You have the Brasileiro (akin to a Premiership), the Copa do Brasil (akin to an FA Cup), and the Estaduals (regional championships).

The Brasileiro is THE tournament, the first division league campaign. It has 22 teams that play a round robin (home and away). Game winners get 3 points, ties are worth 1, and the team with the most points at the end wins. The four at bottom drop to the second division. Its the European system.

http://lancenet.ig.com.br/resultados/

What I suspect really is happening when people say its too confusing is that, unlike most other prominent leagues in S.America, the modern Brasileiro rarely has two or three teams that are main contenders year in and year out. Most people haven't taken the time to understand the history of all these clubs, and don't have an "anchor" (so to speak).

Labelling it as boring often comes with not having any teams to readily identify with. If you did, I doubt it would be boring. But to each their own.

24. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I agree that having two teams from the same country takes away much of the "edge" of the Libertadores; but not because they are Brasilian clubs....its just anathema to the whole reason for the competition IMO.

In the same vein, I found no particular edge in the Valencia x Real Madrid, or Juve x AC Milan CL finals either as a neutral (I'm sure their fans did). They have their country competitions to decide supremacy, why should we see it on a continental stage as well? [However, I was still interested in the outcome.]

Isn't that why those [Libs, European Cup] tournaments were created in the first place - to test the best of each country against the best of the other countries in their confederations? They were meant to have country versus country duels.

With multiple participants from each country, this was bound to occur sooner or later.

In the ever expanding greed of CONMEBOL (always following EUFA's lead) they have managed to dilute a great tournament IMO. I still don't agree with non-champions in either tournament....I accept, I know its never to return, but I don't agree.