Pre-match: Amistosos: Turquia, em Istambul (12 de nov) e Austria em Vienna (18 de nov) [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just cause he plays for Chelsea doesn't make him a god. His comments during the wc were enough for me to banish him and i'm not even sensitive like that. he really isn't creative at all, the only selecao player he has had chemistry with is Leandro damiao and he's currently a bench player in the fukin brasileirao.

2. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I don't think one is better than the other. They are roughly at the same level with different skill set.
    He has fairly good chemistry with Neymar and his Chelsea counterparts.

3. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    So far Coutinho is a 1 year wonder at liverpool. This year he has looked like a very average player. Frimino on the other hand has improved year on year

4. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    At Chelsea Oscar plays more in the role of attacking midfielder rather than a true forward. Dunga needs to change Oscars role to get the most out of him

Banishing a player for comments would be great if soccer was a debating competition

5. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What did he say?

Neymar once said that Coutinho was even more talented than him or something to that effect back when they were playing in the youth levels. They have chemistry as well. Its just up to Dunga to experiment. Liverpool sucks this year but Coutinho shouldn't be called a one season wonder just yet. He has shown his quality even when his teammates were playing mediocre in games.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No Suarez and no Sturridge kind of screwed up the team don't you think ?

7. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Yes it screwed the team but also meant opportunity for cutinho to shine instead he is actually playing so bad that in a number of games he was coming off the bench. He just seems to be lost. I don't think he has done much in friendlies , but to be fair he has had limited min

nicephoras and arun10 repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think he is the type of player that can put an offense on his back if that's what you mean. Neither is Oscar. But I think Coutinho can be a more threat offensively. Having said that I don't like how Oscar is being used. He is playing on the wings most of the time. I think he'd perform better more centrally.

9. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well if not Coutinho then who? Ganso? Even though I hate him he is a pure playmaker, plus he's being scoring a bit more often. His lack of workrate would be a real problem in a 3 man midfield though... But since we have 2 holding midfielders and 2 defensive SBs maybe it wouldn't be so bad if we have a player we insane workrate in the wings like Willian or preferably Lucas.

Honestly, Oscar could be the guy. He has the passing and scoring ability to do so. But he is not playing like a playmaker, but in the "Elano role" as someone said before. His passing is too conservative and he VERY rarely enters the box. His long range shooting was quite off as well, on target but no placement or power, and that used to be one of his specialties. Something is up.

BTW this is not because of "two friendlies". His last convincing performance as an AMF for the NT was in the first WC match vs Croatia. But well, we could try diferent combinations. Lucas+Oscar? Coutinho+Oscar? Everton Ribeiro+Oscar? The catch is that we only have one or two games at most before CA. There is very little time to test.

10. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    Coutinho is actually playing awfully since the start of the season.He was just not good enough in any of the match he played for Liverpool this year.
    Lucas Moura deserves a chance more than Coutinho.

11. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    Oscar can atleast provide a defensive cover unlike any other offensive midfielders.
    All these guys Cotinho,Oscar,Lucas moura etc. are still very young and who knows how they are going to develop?As things stand Oscar is better and more matured and intelligent.
    If Oscar is not good enough, who else is there for that role?Fact is that there is no body else.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lucas plays a different position ... RW.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's time for experimentation. If it doesn't work out, go back to Oscar if there are no better options.

I don't see what's the big deal. We are not saying dump Oscar all together. At least I am not.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    LOL, when did I claim he was a god? Given the type of side Brazil have, he's incredibly useful. You guys keep thinking your problem is having a #10 when the real issue is the lack of good CMs that can play deeper.

Coutinho had half a good season surrounded by Suarez and Sturridge during a season where Liverpool basically only played one competition. I might look good in those circumstances. He has been significantly worse this season. For example, have a look at the Liverpool - Chelsea game from a few weeks ago - Liverpool mounted almost nothing going forward (their goal was from a long shot that took a huge deflection) and Coutinho was the one beaten for the cross which led to the goal. Oscar, meanwhile, had an excellent game.

Given that Neymar likes to roam, Oscar's ability to be positionally disciplined is especially helpful.

I mean, look - if you want him to be the next Zico, he's definitely not going to be that. But he's better than Coutinho. And if you had Zico now, I'd be telling you to drop Oscar :D

Given that Liverpool are desperate for someone to create and pull the strings, you'd think this would be Coutinho's time to shine. Not so much.......

As for what Neymar thinks of Coutinho's talent, I'm not sure I'd put ANY value in that; I always remember Jack Wilshere publicly wondering why Chelsea bought Juan Mata when they already had Josh McEachran. Yeah, good one Jack........

:confused: But Coutinho offers almost nothing except for offense - he's notoriously lax defensively. If he's not great at that..........

You're not really the person I addressed with those comments ;) If you want to not start Oscar a few times - by all means*. I think you'll find the alternatives aren't better. But there are some posters who would like him dropped. Besides, I think you have four major holes on your roster (striker, two way CM, RB and keeper), and Oscar isn't any of them. Oscar's definitely good enough to be part of an excellent side. If he's ultimately not the right fit for one - fair enough. (It's not like I'm demanding you start Ramires, for example.) But at the moment, there are considerably bigger issues.

*The less our players play in friendlies, the better as far as I'm concerned. Mourinho is doing less rotating right now than I prefer, to be honest.

15. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Currently, there is no real substitute for Oscar with similar characteristics with exception of Kaka, and that aint gonna happen.
    We need to keep Oscar, and see what comes to surface as time goes by. I mean Firmino came out of nowhere; same might happen in Oscar's position, but no way should Oscar be dropped.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just a question, is Oscar playing that wide for Chelsea ? Plus, not that fair to take Coutinho's performance vs the best and most organized team in the league ...

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Oscar, Willian and Hazard are doing a lot of roaming, but notionally, no, Oscar is playing centrally for Chelsea. He has been in excellent form, too - has scored off a couple nice free kicks, which is a bonus, since we lost that with Lampard (himself no Juninho), while Hazard is secretly awful at set pieces.

As for my example of Chelsea - we played reasonably open in that game - we didn't "park the bus", like we did last season. Besides, the real issue I pointed to in that game was his failure to park Azpilicueta for the cross that produced the winning goal - not much about defensive solidity there. (Granted, the fullback had gone walkabout, but Azpilicueta on the left is not exactly Roberto Carlos in his prime either!)

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Then do you agree Oscar is not as effective in the wing ? Because that's how he is being used literally since the WC (actually WC included).

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yes, absolutely. He moves to the wing to cover for Neymar at times, but I've always said he's better centrally.

20. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    But does he need to cover Neymar with a defensive LB like Filipe plus two pretty defensive minded midfielders in Luis Gustavo and Fernandinho? Filipe does charge forward sometimes but he is not like Marcelo.

Personally I don't think we have the players to use a 4-3-3 formation, those demand more versatile DMF/CMFs... Luis Gustavo is your bread and butter DMF and Fernandinho lacks consistency... The only really versatile player is indeed Oscar, since he CAN attack, shoot, pass, make some plays and defend. I actually See Oscar's future as being a greater CMF than AMF tbh, if we had the time to train him there for some time I wonder how would he fare.

But I repeat: this midfield isn't working, changes need to be made. It could be Coutinho over OScar, it could be Oscar as a CMF + Coutinho, or we will need to find us a Pogba/Verrati.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Pogba and Verratti are pretty different types of players, but I'd agree you have no business playing a 4-3-3 unless you have a very strong target striker, which you obviously don't. (A 4-3-3 would actually be great for Ramires, but bad for basically every other player you have.)

22. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I like Oscar. I didn´t like him just in the match against Austria, but I didn´t like akso Fernandinho, Danilo and Willian in that match. I think that the only one creative player in the midfield is not very modern and attractive, but it´s just my opinion. Dunga is doing good job menwhile.

23. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    Mourinho about Oscar

"I think his evolution in one year was important. Of course he's not physically the typical strong man ready to cope with everything, but he's very intelligent, very technical. The technical point of view is very important, the way he plays in the technical structure of the team: that makes him feel really happy."

"His coach in Brazil, Dunga, shares the same vision as me. He recognises Oscar has reached a different level in his game and personality. His intention is always to improve."

"Is he the kind of kid who can play 12 times in a month? I don't think so. But we have other options, other players who can play in his position, and his rest will arrive to make sure we don't overload him with minutes of football."

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation....nd-fitness-as-brazil-boss-dunga-visits-cobhamhttp://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation....nd-fitness-as-brazil-boss-dunga-visits-cobhamhttp://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation....nd-fitness-as-brazil-boss-dunga-visits-cobham