Americans using English terms.

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by southpaw817, Oct 23, 2007.

1. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh
    It just drives me nuts that some people use their terms when we refer to the game here in America. Its almost as if we are trying to prove the validity of our game to the Euros.Here are a few vocabulary samples.

Football- We call it soccer here.While I'll be the first to admit that football makes more sense,it is what we call it(Italians-calcio,Germans-fussball,Americans-soccer)

Pitch-We call it a field

Kits-We call it jerseys or uniforms.

Nill-Zero,nuff said lol

Im sure there are others but thats all I can think of. I know it might seem like a small thing but it just bothers me that American announcers use these terms instead of our own.Just airing out my thoughts,what do you think?

2. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    I take it you're also one of these 'YER IN AMERICA NOW SPEAK ENGLISH!' folk?

Unak78 and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  3. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't jump to that conclusion, because he makes a very good point.

The problem is that too many people think that words like "pitch," "kit" and "nil" are soccer terms, analogous to "diamond" being the term for a baseball field or "love" being the tennis word for "zero." Those people are more misinformed, for the most part, than intentionally posing, IMO.

"Pitch" is just a British synonym for "field." To them, American gridiron football is played on a pitch. Similarly, I have heard baseball scores reported on Sky Sports News as "2-nil" and stories about "basketball matches."

The word "football," on the other hand, is something that most Americans need to understand differently. As in, THERE IS MORE THAN ONE KIND OF FOOTBALL, AND SOCCER AND GRIDIRON ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES. Americans understand that at some level, mostly because ESPN used to show Aussie Rules, but the ones who think that the statement "we call it soccer, they call it football" is something other than a complete misunderstanding of it are the ones who are wrong, not those who dare to refer to soccer as football here.

The jagoffs on both sides of this little linguistic pissing match, the ones who refer to either one as "the REAL football, dammit!" need to have freshly-dented skulls, regardless of their affiliation. Football isn't a sport, it's a category of sports, and just saying otherwise does not make it so, no matter how loudly or often you say it.

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Americans using English terms are berks.

5. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh
    I absolutely agree with you, like I said the term football def makes more sense than soccer. Our sport should be called gridiron or something else but unfortunately its too late for that. I just think that some people are misinformed about the terms.

6. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut yer gob, you git!

7. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh
    You shouldnt jump to judgement,and im not going to engage you in this argument.

8. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    fookin muppets :D

southpaw, people in europe learn british english version, I still catch myself saying lorry and flat sometime :D

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get stuffed, ya bloody prat!

10. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh

Haha dont get me wrong im not saying people should be stoned for using the terms,its just that I feel that some Americans use them to try to "fit in" with our English counterparts.

11. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    another thing is many people here maybe grew up watching English broadcasts, no? they would hear terms a lot. I say both game and match hehe Sometimes in same sentence. :D

Unak78 repped this.
  12. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh
    Although I am guilty of dropping the C-bomb here and there which is a term that the Brits are fond of lololol.

13. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part I hear people using those terms in order to demonstrate the "superior" knowledge of the game. The same crowd of American soccer fans who continually try to prove that they too know much about the game of soccer and are as sophisticated as the Euro football supporters.

In the end it creates an elitist culture about the sport in this country, essentially making it more foreign and less acceptable. It's unfortunate that in an attempt to fit in with soccer's eurosnobs, we end up alienating those whom many are attempting to attract to the sport.

If you want soccer to be big in the US, than make it comfortable and acceptable to average Americans. It all plays into the need to create a soccer culture in the US, similar to what we have with football, basketball or baseball.

14. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh
    Congrats! You explained it better than I lol.

15. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We speak English, the most diverse and richest language on earth today. To try and limit vocabulary to some local lowest common denominator will give us tons of gerbils chattering in monotone and, at the same time, do absolutely nothing to banish Eurosnobspeak and other banes of existence.
    Let folks use, accurately, whatever words the language embraces--- and leave linguistic haughtiness to such as the French Academy..
    Now to the pitch, for a spot of Soccerball until I chunder :D

Unak78 repped this.
  16. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers, mate.;)
    Why limit ourselves to one set of terms? I think we Americans are smart enough to recognize and embrace the international nature of the sport. Why not use both British AND American terms interchangeably?

Unak78 repped this.
  17. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there is that. The insufferable ones, who correct someone who says "goalie," because the "soccer term" is "keeper." I can see not using the hockey term "goaltender," since the goal in soccer is just too big to be referred to as being "tended," but they can take that smug condescension and stuff it.

The other side of that coin are the just plain ignorant, who assume that the whole world calls the game "futbol," to the point of spelling it. Most of those are the ones who simply can't bear to think of the word that they use for their beloved helmet-gladiatorball could be associated with that sissy, foreign sport, and so come up with that crap.

Exactly right, and that's where the two sides of the coin converge. The soccer bashers are more than happy to create as much separation between soccer and the "American sports" as they can, and the quasi-sophisticates' zeal to appear "worldly" by trying to maintain their superiority will be both derided and used by the bashers for their own ends.

I agree. The idea of soccer being "that weird, foreign sport" has to be destroyed, and Europosers telling people about how their team on the "pitch" looked in their "kits" in the "1-nil" win should be made to look just as stupid as they would if they insisted that we used "windscreen" and "bonnet" and "motorway."

18. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Taking that as a "yes".

19. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    "Football- We call it soccer here.While I'll be the first to admit that football makes more sense,it is what we call it(Italians-calcio,Germans-fussball,Americans-soccer)"

Soccer was an English expression. I call it football or soccer depending who I am talking to.

-------------------
    "Pitch-We call it a field"

I call it the field

----------------------------
    "Kits-We call it jerseys or uniforms."

I call it shirts.
    ----------------------

"Nill-Zero,nuff said lol"

Must of the time I refer to zero as a shutout or smetimes like this score was 4-zip.
    -----------------
    I refer to the sideline as the touch line because youcan touch the ball for a throw in or a restart if you will from that touch line or behind it.

20. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    in that particular case just ask them why people in England regularly say "goalie" as well. And then knee them in the balls for good measure.

21. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incorrectly, and for no good reason.

Again, soccer IS football. So is American football, so is Aussie Rules, so is Gaelic football, so is rugby. All it takes for the terms to be more interchangeable here is for people to finally admit that there is more than one kind of football, and the more people who use them that way, the faster that we can get rid of the whole "THEY call it football...." mentality.

And, it should be no different for soccer. Sometimes when I hear people say a soccer score as "1-nil," I ask them if they ever use "nil" in other sports. That gives me the opportunity to either A) Set them straight from thinking something in error, or B) expose them as an ignorant Europoser. I'm not sure which one is more fun.

Yes I do....
    Perfectly okay, IMO. There is a legitimate, practical reason to use the term "touchline," and of course, "sideline" is just as acceptable.

Now, using the British term, "byline" for the goal line or end line for me falls into the same category as "pitch" and "kit."

That reminds me, when the Detroit Express played (and yes, I AM that old), their first TV announcer insisted on calling the penalty area the "Hot Box." That's the other extreme, the ones who try to "Americanize" everything, and discard all of the existing terms, as if being "American" is enough to not require making sense.

22. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just good advice, there.

23. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh

Take that as "im not going to let you bait me into a political discussion on a soccer message board." We are all having fun here and I am only stating MY opinion but I greatly respect any opposing opinions. I just wanted to start a little discussion with my soccer loving friends on this board,but you automatically jump to personal attacks.Quite hypersensitive.

Unak78 repped this.
  24. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is pants.

Unak78 repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It went all pear-shaped early on. Was it Jeremy E. or was it SYoshonis? Six of one, half dozen of the other. Anyway, the less said about this thread, the better.