American Sportstalk radio take on the 2010 World Cup!

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by DCUdiplomat96, Jun 10, 2010.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here it is one day or less until the 2010 World Cup and only one Network is really giving it attention, that is ESPN family of newtworks. On the sports Radio end of thing ofcourse you Have ESPN Radio will provide the Radio PBP but on the Talk circut you dont hear much outside ESPN. You have FOX sports Radio who barely gives mention and if my projection are right they wont be any different from the 06 World Cup where they will just give a occasional score maybe a suprising headline like the zizou headbutt, but not much different. Back to ESPN they have the World Cup today show(6p est,) thats good, all of the regular Talk show host maybe except SVP had aleast gave a couple minutes talk about the world Cup and ofcourse the interviews and showcase, but mostly ESPN has done that, Ofcourse ESPN is showing the Cup so thats a No brainer. I dont expect the other Media Outside the ESPN Radio to give a decent amount of coverage or awareness of the world cup. But will let you know that some of the Fox Guys will be watching and they also have a good analyasis of what they know about England and the uS team. JT the Brick his show is on late nights in the east 1am-6am eastern on FSR. JT often brings up Liverpool and Wayne Rooney, he also doesnt beleive that the US will win on Saturday, and wants to come to a english soccer game, his show is very interactive allowing callers open floor. ... ESPN's Cowherd often Talks about the world Cup, but often tries to balance it with the major stories in US Sports. Maybe as the world Cup get started and rolling along the media outide ESPN might talk alil more about it, also if there is time to fit in the busy time frame of the sports day.

2. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    none of the 2 local sunday sports shows in south florida had a peep about the world cup (other than one mentioning that it starts friday right before the end).

espn is carpetbombing this with PR

3. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah actaully I say this week the Top stories in US Sports are this.

1. NBA Finals

2. NCAA Football Conference Realignment push(Pac-10, Big 10)

3. Strasbourg(Washington Nationals)

4. NHL Stanley Cup.

5. World Cup 2010

4. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the 2 Live stews arent Talking about it, and 106.7 the fan In Washington, DC arent really Talking about it either.

5. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    little to no talk in stl.

trust me saturday there will be.

if we win.

next will all talk all week after the Finals are over

6. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our local ESPN radio had 30 min of world cup talk this past hour

7. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you Talking about World Cup today?? or a Local Show???

8. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Local show

Grant Wahl and Henry Winter were on

9. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not bothered if people who know nothing of substance (normal sports talk radio hosts) don't talk about it. I'm just glad that all matches will be available on espnradio.com and through their iPhone app. That's really nice when you're at work with no video or on the move.

10. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok Cool you have nothing like that in Atlanta or DC

11. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    there's a podcast here for mike francesa on the fan of grant wahl talking about the world cup http://www.wfan.com/pages/744503.php

he's never talked about soccer in his life and gave wahl a good 20 minutes or so on his program.

12. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The host of the show is on from 11-2 with the FM power signal and they are the highest rated local sports radio station by miles.

the host is the lead writer for the stl post dispatch.

he likes soccer and he can do whatever he wants..he gets big ratings.

he spent 30 min on soccer and 30 min on hockey today out of 3 hour show..

he is fair and good

13. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the weekend I listened to a lot of mainstream sports radio and I was very impressed with the reception of a lot of the various host of the shows. Just before the US England game I barely managed to get the broadcast of the game through mobile phone ( Cheery radio app)baltimore espn radio station had took coverage of the game. I was flippin between that and the 106.7 wash dc local show which tried everything possible to avoid talking about the world cup. I had also noticed through out the dial and stream that the US england wasn't as entertaining , and actually hosts was very critical on some of the strategies used by both teams. And the valu e of ties. I have to agree with some of them about the tied games, its nothhing to cheer about and almost had no value in a american since. A lot of talk also was about the vuvuzelas, either u liked them or didn't like them. And ofcourse mr Robert Green became a house hold name to almost. Every station heard that he was givin much credit for the goal as much as Dempsey for putting the effort for scoring..... FSR. Did more interviews on the FSC guys and BoBby Mcmahon was the most radio friendly, and Christopher Sullivan did a awful analogy on how to like soccer, but hey he tried...... Overall afte the first week the scene was dent but not great sports talk radio wise, u had ur stereotypicals, and ur open mineded individuals but. Let's see how this week come along along.

14. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow - which radio stations were Sullivan and McMahon on?

15. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox sports radio, both did cameo sigments on different shows over the weekend. Sullivan was on Lincoln Kennedy's show sunday afternoon and Bobby macmahon was briefly On the JT the Brick Show. last Night.

16. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    JT's always been respectful to soccer and and non "big 4" sports. He even has USA Today's Christine Brennan(can't stand the woman) to talk Figure skating during the Vancouver games. Unfortunately his show moved from 10pm ET to 1am ET a few months back

17. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - I used to listen to JT on and off a long time back but his style got a bit too tiresome. I used to love listening to Sedano and Czaban before they left. I was a big Bruno fan too but haven't heard his new show except the night of the NFL draft. The only one I listen to that hates soccer is Rome - and for him I think it's part schtick. But I did remember hearing a Champions League spot on Fox Sports Radio - and this was before the season!

Would have loved to hear Bobby and JT interact - the battle of the accents!

18. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw it seems that the one takeaway from the tournament for the MSM (other than Robert Green's gaffe) is the term "vuvuzela" as I'm seeing it used more and more.

19. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well there's a shock......I saw these 2 clowns on 'First Take' the other day(in the 1st and Ten segment) doing their ugly american routine - demanding that the rules be changed to make matches more entertaining

20. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do they think this is? the NFL? the world's game doesn't change rules because Brett Favre didn't make it to the Super Bowl. Hell, they wouldn't review Henry's handball.

21. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    They did something similar in the last 10 minutes of yesterday episode. I thought it was funny some of there ignorance actually did bring out a couple of good points. ESPN is trying I think :D

22. FCB02062

FCB02062 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    South of Boston, MA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On Monday afternoon the hosts of the drive time (2-6 PM) show on 98.5 FM in Boston talked about the World Cup at some length, but much of it devolved into a "pro" or "con" argument on the merits of football itself.
    Much to my surprise, one of the hosts, Michael Felger, offered the most spirited and genuine "defenses" of football I've ever heard in the Boston media. The Boston sports media is very stodgy and resistant to anything new or different, and I was shocked that this guy was telling people to tune into the World Cup - it's probably because he's not from Boston. This guy is not a football fan - he only watches the World Cup, but he was certainly trying to make converts out of his listeners. He admitted he doesn't know much about the game, but he finds the World Cup captivating.
    He admitted he never watches "Premier League" or "UEFA League" (his words), but said he is enthralled with the World Cup. He commented that the players are the best athletes in the world, and it is competition at the highest level. I give the guy a boatload of credit because talking football is not a popular thing in the US, and especially not on Boston sports radio, especially with the Celtics in the NBA Finals (last night's complete drubbing aside :mad:).
    The US next plays Friday at 10 AM EST, and I expect Felger to try to inject some US World Cup into the show that day, but with Game 7 of the NBA Finals on the night before, much of the sports talk that day will deal with the Finals.
    Cheers to Felger, who is, and I cannot believe I'm saying this, carrying the torch for World Football in Boston...

23. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD

What are you talking about, other than the Lavar and Dukes, B Mitchell's show, almost every show on The Fan has talked about Soccer this past. Bill Rowland and Chris Russel did almost 2 hours on Soccer on their respective shows.

They did'nt specifically talk about the WC, but just Soccer in general.

24. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not extensively, looselyl like most radio staions around the country. IN DC DCU barely gets mentioned on english speaking radio.