American soccer(esp. MLS) needs “Tough Guys” / “Bad Boys”……

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by DCUdiplomat96, Mar 20, 2009.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think soccer, well at least here in America anyways. I also don’t really see it anywhere else in the world. But mainly American soccer is tough guy/ bad boy type approach. I mean yeah soccer is the world’s game and all that. But we ned that American feel to it. I don’t really see it in the players. I don’t see the Ray Lewis type of guys who and can confidence in players and with fans at the same time. And still bring fear on Opponenets. We need more cockiness, maybe stop having this squeaky clean, pretty boy feel. We can be lover’s and fighters too? Right?

2. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back Big Mama.

3. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Our guy lives on hate, bring it.

[​IMG]

4. taboga

taboga Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Tell ESPN to stop playing national team music for MLS games. lol

We need a better MLS theme song if there is one out there. Not sure if it helps but it would make it appear better on TV when they introduce the teams. Keep in mind Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver hate each other a lot so all we need is time before these teams heat up. Portland Timbers fans are just as crazy as Seattle and Vancouver fans so don't be surprised to see some fights when these teams play each other.

Plus a lot of foreign players who are not made out to play for MANU, Arsenal, FC barcelona, are probably coming over to the Nortwest region to play soccer because the weather is more similar and the fans are just as crazy as European fans.

When one follows the league more one will see more "bad boy" players.
    ESPN has to hype up soccer more in order to compete with the FOX Soccer Channel which it views as a threat unless ESPN is thinking about creating a soccer channel in a few years.

5. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually its MLS job to hype up soccer... i really cant recall any tough guys maybe that explayer turned actor I cant rember his name(Vinnie jones). and Eric Cantona maybe. Wish there was a player with the energy like Ray Lewis, and maybe the no nonsense like Bill Parcells. Real gutsy guys

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want a guy that got off for murder?

Yeah, that's what soccer needs, a Ray Lewis, or maybe a Rae Carruth. :rolleyes:

7. Kodak Jackson

Kodak Jackson Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Pablo Mastroeni to me, but I agree we need more of them. I think it would be better if we had players with a better combination of flash and power.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Do you want to spank these bad boys?

9. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    DP: Joey Barton

10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to be a gangsta on MLS wages.

11. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    naw he aint tough sorry bruh

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS doesn't need a "bad boy". A controversial figure, sure. Those bring interest and make for decent press. But one who is characterized as a "bad boy" stains the league. There a fine line between controversial player and "bad boy", IMOP. The difference being a controversial player in not always a trouble maker. But I agree that I'd love to see the hardcore, take no shit for mercy types. A Gattusso, a Essien, a Frings, a Mascherano, a Fabregas (minus the so-called spitting incident) type mentality. These guys will put the hammer down on you, let you know it, but still at the end of the day respect the game and opponent. For the most part, anyway. The league has Mastroeni and Joseph and a few others that have a bite to their game but I'd love to see more of them. We have those athletes in this country unfortunately they go to other sports. We need to keep hold of them. I do think that is changing ever so slowly though which is positive.

13. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ah none of those guys you mentioned are bad boys or tough guys, im sorry not compared to American athletes.... I need to clarify better. one im not reffering to violence or a violent figure. im talking about the spirit and atitude a soccer player can bring to the game from a traditional american motivated perspective. .. from a techinical aspect the USSF doesnt have a slasher or a skill dribbling striker. some Body who can bring swagger with there play. somebody that is like "Im a American Soccer Player , so F- you!!! type."

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotcha. But the athlete you have in mind isn't necessarily traditional to American sports per se. Athletes haven't always been so brash. Just in the last 25 years when the $$$ started becoming a huge factor. But I do agree, I would like to see a player, in a respectful way, pound his chest and proclaim loud and clear he's proud to be an American soccer player and he should be treated like all other professional athletes in the country. It's gonna happen, I feel sure. Hopefully sooner than later.

15. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this is a good example

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeexDrlNx5E"]YouTube - Death on Wings[/ame]

16. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zMyEhKO8dg"]YouTube - Mike Singletary on coaching Ray Lewis[/ame]

Classic Mike singletary

17. Toronto Red

Toronto Red Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Roy Keane, Greame Souness, Vinne Jones, Patrick Viera to name but a few from the EPL. Souness would stamp on you as easily as he would buy you a beer.

Kevin Harmse, Adrian Serioux, Danny Dichio on TFC.

18. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about him?
    [​IMG]

19. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this scene ... this is another good example...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTbxw7TbL6U"]YouTube - Game Time - Friday Night Lights[/ame]

20. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Clint!!!!! we Miss him he doesnt get enough love!

21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Would you like to give Clint some love?

22. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Players dont make enough money in this league to be "bad boys". You do something dumb, you get fined, and a quarter of your year's salary is gone.

23. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ????:confused:

24. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lolololol

25. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i always wonder if the USMNT will have one. Actually Clint (Mathis) was a good example espcially in the 2002 World Cup. we need the spiritual motivator