American Outlaws - Orlando

Discussion in 'Supporters Group' started by Orlando FC, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Orlando FC

Orlando FC Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that I haven't been very active on the Big Soccer site, and that is a sin against soccer in the US, but I personally have taken steps to start an American Outlaw chapter in Orlando.

I've contacted someone else and we are working together to organize a watch party for the next USMNT on May 25th (location still not finalized). I have grandiose plans for this party and want to use it to establish a common ground for Orlandonians to unite on a soccer front.

There is no reason why the area doesn't have an established soccer supporters group yet given the popularity of the rec leagues and the huge immigrant population. No reason at all. With that in mind, I invite all of you to a) join AO, use Orlando as the city name and b) provide some suggestions as to a venue that would accommodate us.

Anyone interested in participating should message me or email me so we can set something up. I have some great ideas and really big plans, so don't wait.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's talking about an AO chapter, not a local supporters group.

4. Orlando FC

Orlando FC Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See Orlando Rays reply...

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tampa and Miami have tried this with zero results. I hope that any plans to create a "new" group based on the Nats/Outlaws at least works with the previous attempt at a general soccer supporters group.

6. Orlando FC

Orlando FC Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ain't Tampa/Miami. I have a plan sir.

But thanks for the good thoughts... I think.

7. Orlando FC

Orlando FC Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the biggest issue is that we don't ever have a place to show our support. We get like one USMNT game every two years. But it comes to what comes first? The chicken or the egg?

8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prime, you mentioned you were involved in a pretty deep supporters group before you moved away. What happened to them?

I personally think we should pool the OSSC and AO Orlando efforts. I'm already getting OFC in contact with Adam.

9. Orlando FC

Orlando FC Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get it! Things will go so much smoother once the franchise has a name and location.

I'm getting no love from local bars in terms of a watch party. And my group is super scattered at the moment (aside from my knucklehead friends). So hopefully you guys have more ideas for locations and I'll chip in with some additional supporters. Keep in mind I'm getting absolutely minimal help from AO HQ, this is all me right now.

But I'm committed. So, again, let's get it!

10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I gather of the local AO chapter process, it's an if-you-build-it-they-will-come proposition. They also require at least 25 paying AO members before they will even consider sanctioning you.

11. FLSoccerGran

FLSoccerGran BigSoccer Supporter

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The owners of the Best of British on I-Drive (Jamaican Court) are great soccer fans and the entire place is soccer-themed! Of course, I wouldn't recommend it as a place to watch the US-England match, but they would support the US in other matches! They are Charlton & Arsenal supporters! Their food is excellent, but very British - no fabulous nachos a'la Frankie Farrells! Really hope we can find a place!

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all moved away, that's what happened. :(

We had 4 key things going for us. 1) one of us had like 4 or 5 kids playing for CFLU youth soccer. So they told other kids/parents and word got out. 2) a couple of us played adult rec and also spread the word. 3) I was a nut job about getting people's emails and emailing out crap. I especially found it useful to email clubs and coaches. Even Parson (O-Sent) helped a bit. 4) Finally, we found some good locations, all in Winter Park or Oveido. Fiddlers Green was decent for a few WCQ, but our best was at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Oveido. But we never got that love we deserved which didn't help in the long run. I think Seminole or Winter Park is better than Tourist Hell, but thats me.

Good luck, I wish you guys all the best.

13. Orlando FC

Orlando FC Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prime, I agree. I live in WP and know there is a big soccer presence here. A Tilted Kilt just opened up on University right down the street from UCF, but I'm having a hard time convincing them to help out. They're new and scared of risk, which they might consider AO to be (though we're not).

I'm definitely not going to land a place in tourist central, if only for personal reasons (some US games are on during the day, at which time I will take an extended lunch... and hopefully make it back to work).

14. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are customers "a risk"?

I wouldn't go for tourist central either. Including, and especially, Cricketer's Arms; they're an English pub. Only perhaps The Clubhouse at Sand Lake and Dr. Phillips (Publix plaza). Their apps are a shade pricier than other places, but they're enough off the tourist traps that it's not tourist-y.

I myself would suggest something clandestine. One weekend, all get together at the Twisted Kilt for a match. Show them we're "worth it". How about next Saturday night, May 1, 8:30pm for Wizards @ Dynamo?

15. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On second thought, let's target May 8. May 1 is Mayweather-Mosley.

16. Orlando FC

Orlando FC Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A preliminary watch party sounds like a great idea. Not sure if we're strong enough to have a good showing just yet though.

And there are many ways in which a yet-to-be established venue views us as a risk, the first being that we drive away more customers. I'm not saying that is the case, but I am saying that we need to have empathy for these people. They don't have the luxury of hosting an event that isn't great and have their "regulars" continue to show up.

I just want a chance to sit with the owner/manager and make my case. Because, you're right, we are paying customers and we're trying to formulate a plan giving them guaranteed business in the near future. There are very little downsides to this kind of agreement.

I'm trying to consider all the reasons they have for shooting us down so I can plan my rebuttal. I believe just as you do, btw, that this is a great idea for any establishment, if only from a direct business standpoint. We're going to buy drinks, lots of them.

May 8th sounds cool. Oh, it's "Tilted" Kilt, btw. Must discuss further.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Yeah Jamaica would be a killer commute. ;)

18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to make regular contact with the people on the mailing list.

19. Orlando FC

Orlando FC Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had my router go out on me this weekend, otherwise I would have sent out something today, as I planned.

I will be sending out something this week though.

If you would like to take a more proactive role, by all means, tell me what you have in mind.

Honestly, there haven't been much in the way of developments to date. I want to make sure there is something to tell people when I send out a newsletter, or whatever.

20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have an idea, I'm all ears. :)

21. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you guys doing anything for the the May games? I'm gonna be in the area working probably through till June and would love to watch both games w/ other US supporters.

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask Orlando FC. What would be a good place for the Sendoff matches?

23. dstefano36

dstefano36 New Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Best of British is a great pub (naturally, Arsenal supporters!), even if geared a bit towards the tourists. The Celt in downtown Orlando is very soccer friendly and they are rumored to be building a VIP viewing area as an extension. Better to support the places that show and support soccer year round rather than the bars that just want to capitalize short term on the World Cup. American Outlaws, great idea!

24. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, a VIP room for the Celt... that sounds like a good idea. I may check that out this weekend with both the Championship playoff final and UEFA Champions League final in play.

If it works out nice, it may be a good idea for one of the Sendoff parties.

I do know I want to do the first World Cup game at Buffalo Wings & Rings in South Orlando. I know for a fact there will be some England fans there. :p I won't be in town for the second U.S. game. I'll think of something for the third.

25. cheguevara04

cheguevara04 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Are you guys still up for setting up this chapter. Three of my friends and I would be very active members. We have been following the national team very closely for a while now, and love the idea of setting up a local AO chapter in Orlando.