American Great Depression 2

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by +PL+, Apr 5, 2020.

1. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It is obvious we are heading to another recession if it has not started yet. What is important is the scale of this financial crisis. It seems we were on the verge of global financial collapse in 2008 and somehow we survived. I have been listening to different economists ever since and many predicted we may face a more dangerous crisis in future, but nobody could pinpoint the exact year.

Coronavirus brought this self isolation and massive economic slow down right before the expected recession. Can this cause another depression? And if it is possible, how can we get prepared for that.

In my opinion we have all the ingredients for a financial collapse but it depends on government policies, public and market responses, and many other factors as well.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

2. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It depends on lessons learned through Covid19. I think the government has signaled they are going to print money. Recent purchases of the dollar show that the world banks don't have a problem with that yet...

Does MMT work? I have a feeling we are going to find out.

superdave repped this.
  3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Trump is on it! Will this help? :rolleyes;

The Trump administration was condemned for considering “rewarding vulture capitalists profiting off a crisis.”

As desperate workers, the unemployed, and small businesses struggle to obtain benefits authorized under the multi-trillion-dollar coronavirus stimulus package President Donald Trump signed into law late last month, the White House is reportedly considering an additional slate of aid measures that critics say would disproportionately favor the wealthy while providing little relief for those most in need.

“A capital gains tax cut would be smash-and-grab economics with no value to the economic and medical calamity facing us.”
    —Zach Carter, HuffPost

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of asshole starts this thread without "Electric Boogaloo" in the title

American Brummie, xtomx and song219 repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Not these guys

7d17d8e0d3845b1e9547f7356ae3b8ca.gif

spejic repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I even watched the sequel.

Anyway, I don't see a Great Depression 2, because the government will prop up the financial system unlike in the Thirties, and because it will drop money from helicopters unlike in the Thirties. Other reasons, but those are the main ones.

Those being Democratic innovations, naturally. Republicans are bad economists.

7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How are we defining what a depression looks like?

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Latte lines. No more cruises. Corporations going back to a 30-something % tax rate.

usscouse repped this.
  9. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #9 +PL+, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Large scale bankruptcy, unemployment rate, wall street crashes and economic down turn in scale of great depression of early 30s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Recession_in_the_United_States

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Recession

2008 economic down turn was a tough time to live and yet it is referred to as great recession (not depression). Depression happens when the situation is even worse than 2008. I don't know the exact technical indicators for a depression but guestimating the situation compared to 2008 great recession and 1929 great depression gives me chills.

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ain't a depression until authoritarian facial hair is in vogue.