American football lines, destroying MLS credibility?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MightyMouse, Sep 5, 2007.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The word "sharing" overstates the case a little bit.

The main stadium at PHP is FC Dallas' stadium. The team offices are part of the stadium, the team's pro shop is part of the stadium, banners and signs around the stadium include the team's name and logo, integrated into the metal ends of every row of seats around the stadium is the team's logo, and most importantly, the team's owners get every single dollar of all events at the entire complex, including the stadium.

However, in return for $15 million in funding from the school district and in return for HSG's getting all the revenues from ALL events, including school district events, the school district gets rent-free use of the main stadium on Thursday and Friday nights during the fall for high school varsity football for its three high schools. At those games, fans of the high schools playing are never in any doubt whose stadium they're at -- FC Dallas'.

Now maybe you have a problem with the community's use of a venue that the community paid for, but I don't, nor do people with half a brain. In doing so, HSG and FC Dallas contribute to the community, make themselves a greater part of the community, and are good neighbors. Now, maybe you think that your team should be above that, but I would find that a strange stance, considering why your team didn't have a 2006 or a 2007 season and considering that they'll need all the goodwill from the community that they can get.

But if you want to get hung up on a very faint gridiron on the field, suit yourself.

2. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aye. Cingeworthy sores on our eyse those lines. Destroying the credibility of the MLS in the eyes of the world. So says me and 113 other poll takers so far.

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's not a huge deal to me any more because I've been used to them for years. And they will go away as teams get their own places.

However, I also think it's a good thing that fans care about this and are making their feelings heard. The signing of Beckham and other DPs means that the level of play and the media attention are rising, so if MLS wants to be truly major league then stuff like this is an issue.

4. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but I think it will be years before FC Dallas gets their own stadium. Until that time they'll be sharing with the Fightin' Coons of Frisco High!

5. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind so much fading gridiron lines on grass fields, because I've seen them in Bundesliga matches too, because of NFL Europe having played there. As long as they're "fading", the key word there.

What is worse is MLS teams playing on carpet with the gridiron lines so well-painted on that you can't see the lines of the soccer pitch, at least on television, and it's hard to follow when the ball is inbounds or not.

Also what bothers me is when other events take place that ruin the playing surface. Enough with the tractor pulls, okay.

6. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    The mods might want to look into Troy Aikmen having 11 sockpuppets, I think that is frowned upon.