American expansion possibilities

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Do you think it is too close to KC Current though? Would they split the fan base? I do not know that area well enough so these are just honest questions.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Absolutely not

CoachJon repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's a good 4hr drive between STL and KC - SEA/POR, LA/SD, and WAS/NJY are all closer. STL does not view KC as a sports market. The Cardinals, Blues, and Rams-while-they-were-there always looked to CHI as STL's main sports rival. I would be shocked if there are a significant number of KC fans in the STL area. I can absolutely guarantee you that there were few if any Sporting KC fans in STL even before STL City was a possibility - not that SKC didn't try getting STL fans with the occasional game there. But when AC St. Louis started, everyone in STL was hyped for the potential "AC/KC" rivalry, and there was no question about anyone supporting KC in that situation. STL fans instead generally like MLS as a league and simply picked which MLS team they liked best, instead of cheering for KC or CHI. STL has too much of its own soccer history (including the Athletica in WPS) to waiver on that stuff.

lil_one repped this.
  4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    We've been saying the same thing about Atlanta, and they've been very quiet during NWSL's expansion news last year.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discussion of a plan to drastically improve White Stadium in Boston for the NWSL expansion club:

(behind paywall): https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/04/25/sports/boston-nwsl-team-stadium/

A long-overdue renovation of White Stadium in Franklin Park is in the works that would reestablish the 10,000-seat stadium as a state-of-the-art centerpiece for Boston Public Schools student-athletes and a more inviting public facility in the city’s largest open space.

The proposed public/private project could bring an additional benefit as well: A home stadium for a new Boston franchise in the National Women’s Soccer League.

Ensuring it has a viable stadium to play in is a crucial hurdle the “Boston Unity” group has to clear in order to get a nod from the NWSL.

“White Stadium is one of Boston’s most important community resources, and we’re excited by the prospect of having it serve as the home for Boston’s future NWSL club,” said Jennifer Epstein, controlling owner of the investment group behind Boston Unity.

RFPs have gone out from the City of Boston.

Reign Man, toad455 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that White Stadium is used primarily for high school football and track. Unless they can install a true soccer field (without interfering football lines and track separating fans from the field), this seems not up to the rising NWSL standard for fields. Perhaps they can install an appropriate field, which would be great.

7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Is 10,000 capacity suitable these days for an NWSL expansion team?

8. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They're potentially handicapping themselves if they're sticking to 10k... Though, to be fair, both USLC-partnered teams (LOU, NC) have seated capacities in the 10-12k range as well. But honestly I'd hope they try expanding the stadium to, like, 15k. I know the Breakers never drew well in their WPS+NWSL days, but a new brand with great owners could blow the Breakers' baggage out of the water.

toad455 and Reign Man repped this.
  10. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  11. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005

Klingo3034 repped this.
  12. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    If they want to have a team in New York and far from Gotham it would have to be in Albany or Buffalo or even Rochester.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "No priority to previous bids"
    I just want to know *who* the previously declined bids were, plz Jess I'm begging here

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USL Super League has decided to push for Division 1 sanctioning:

https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2023...per-league-that-will-kick-off-in-august-2024/

Set to kick off in August 2024, the USL Super League officials said that it “intends to launch as a first division league, reflecting its commitment to the highest standards in American soccer and a collective vision to be a global leader in women’s soccer on and off the field.”

Target cities for their initial 8 franchises:
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Lexington, Ken.
    Phoenix, Ariz.
    Spokane, Wash.
    Tampa, Fla.
    Tucson, Ariz.
    Washington, D.C.

Potential future expansion cities:
    Chattanooga, Tenn.
    Indianapolis, Ind.
    Jacksonville, Fla.
    Madison, Wis.
    Oakland, Calif.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ^that post belongs in the General News thread, where previous discussion of the USL Super League challenge has been

But they're probably shooting themselves in the foot by gunning for D1. Higher operating costs with a much smaller-market footprint and over a decade of trailing in terms of getting sponsorships and TV deals.

toad455 and Klingo3034 repped this.
  17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Definitely should just do division 2. Unless they can go to NWSL in future when they have bigger audiences. Like USL teams going to MSL.

18. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nashville has no MLB or NBA team, so better than Atlanta.

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spokane, Washington ... do they realize the size of the population in and around Spokane?

20. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Member

Leeds
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    I wonder if the Tampa USL Super League ownership group is a completely different entity than the group that was a potential NWSL expansion franchise?

I wonder if they are the same if that would help or hinder them potentially entering the NWSL is 2026?

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's a different group
    Tampa NWSL bid came with the backing of Stuart Sternberg, owner of the Tampa Bay Rays
    Tampa USLSL is led by three guys from local animal hospitals and steak restaurants

ytrs and Siddhartha repped this.
  22. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I'd also expect if they get Division 1 status that the pay will be much less than the NWSL. But this new league should 100% be Division 2.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    toad455 and BostonRed repped this.
  24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ex-Breaker Jordan Angeli is involved in a potential expansion effort in Denver:
    https://theathletic.com/4683045/2023/07/11/denver-nwsl-usl-super-league/
    (Athletic, so might be paywalled)
    The gist of the article is that their group has the potential choice between NWSL and USL-SL, though that does make me wonder how Denver FC's calculus would change if USL-SL *doesn't* get their D1 sanctioning. Their goal is to launch in 2026, which interesting matches NWSL's next expansion date instead of USL-SL's launch date. The article does also mention that Denver would be a natural rival to Salt Lake, which isn't really an option with any of the current USL-SL clubs

Klingo3034 repped this.
  25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    the New York Times announced yesterday that it is abolishing its Sports department and moving the Athletic content to the paper, either online or in Print. ( they own the Athletic)

I don’t know how that affects most folks, but you can get x number of NYT articles a month free.
    I notice that soccer articles in the NYT have been near zilch lately.