American expansion possibilities

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Dec 28, 2012.

1. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    It's a shame the NWSL likely won't allow both Sacramento and San Jose. There's about 88 miles in between the two cities. If the ownership groups are there for both, why not award to separate franchises.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You misunderstand. The COVID restrictions weren't the issue with Sac, MLS or NWSL - it was that the MLS majority owner balked based on secondary economic consequences, making MLS too expensive for their taste. The entry cost to NWSL is an order of magnitude (or two) less than that for MLS, which is why several journos have mentioned that people are still optimistic for SacNWSL. (Also, they're slated to start next year, not 2yrs from now.)

Actually the issue is Sac vs Oakland, not Sac vs San Jose. Territory rights are 75 miles IIRC - or at least I think that's the limit for MLS, which is why Sac was going to join MLS with San Jose there already. Some discussion has already been had here and on other WoSo circles when the independent San Jose group surfaced basically saying as much (that Sac prevents Oakland but not San Jose).

Klingo3034 and toad455 repped this.
  3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I hope things work out for Sacramento and we get both them and San Jose.

4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    That’s a lot of teams in one state if possible. It be like FC Dallas women, Houston Dash, San Antonio, Austin FC in NWSL.

5. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Three in California wouldn't be so bad. I don't see Texas getting a third team. Austin will likely be the 2nd, don't see a third team in Texas in the foresable future. If Sacramento stays and San Jose is #13, that's not so bad. Wonder if and when we'll hear of any further expansion talks?

6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Could this lead to a possible return to Boston in the future?

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Doubtful. Certainly not on any reasonable time scale.

There's no "major league" facility for a team to play at that wouldn't require large rent payments to Robert Kraft.

Fenway Sports Group is all about high profile, world class brands. They have no track record in starting anything from scratch, especially if it involves navigating the political nightmare that is getting anything built in Boston. And, no, playing at Harvard or BU would almost certainly no longer be viable or acceptable. The standards and expectations in the NWSL have risen significantly since the Breakers folded, and the other new league stakeholders coming in won't want the product we were getting from the last couple of years of the Breakers - Lens flare? No video angle of the near corners? Outhouses and cars in the parking lot? No offense, but the NWSL is trying to build and market itself as a "major" league, the "Divison 1" women's soccer league. The college soccer field or youth soccer complex feel of the production of games that was tolerable five years ago isn't. Since the shit hit the fan with Sky Blue that's changed.

And Fenway Sports Group isn't going to host an NWSL team at Fenway Park. This is not NYCFC. If anything, the fact that NYCFC still doesn't have shovels in the ground and they're still playing at Yankee Stadium would give FSG pause about committing to hosting an NWSL team before they had a stadium.

For those looking for an NWSL return to the Boston area, you basically have two choices:

Kraft Soccer decides to add an NWSL team and have them play with the Patriots and Revolution at Gillette Stadium.

Someone (maybe even FSG) partners with Kraft Soccer to build the evergreen in-Boston soccer stadium that the Rev's mention they're looking into every fall when season ticket renewals go out - with the proviso that it would be built to host both the MLS Revolution and a new NWSL team upon completion.

I just don't see anyone paying rent to Kraft to use Gillette, and having lived through the era of 8-12k MLS crowds in NFL and college football stadiums, I'm pretty sure nobody wants to see a 5-10k NWSL crowd swallowed up in Gillette. Other than that, I don't see a suitable stadium for an NWSL team to play at. I'm pretty sure BC's Alumni Stadium is too narrow, and while I guess Nickerson Field might support a wide enough soccer setup, it's terrible atmosphere-wise, and probably not much of an improvement of the stadium at Harvard the Breakers were using at the end. I shot a couple WUSA Breakers games at Nickerson, and it is not what the league is currently looking for.

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really suspect Cleveland will have NWSL, MLS and NHL teams shortly.

9. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    NHL will be at 32 teams with the addition of Seattle. I don't see them expanding past 32. NWSL yes(instead of Cincinnati?), MLS is doubtful currently unless they're aiming past 30 teams. There's also mention of a WNBA franchise. If Lebron James has his say, it'll likely be in Cleveland instead of Boston.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything has a price and MLS just lost Sacramento...we'll wait and see.

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf
    @JeffKassouf
    1h
    NEW: Multiple sources tell
    @EqualizerSoccer
    that Ron Burkle pitched the NWSL the idea of moving his expansion-territory rights from Sacramento to San Diego. There are still many ways this could play out, most of which would require NWSL board approval.

Nacional Tijuana and toad455 repped this.
  12. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005

The club is owned and operated by parent company Two Oak Ventures, which includes Anthony Precourt as majority partner and local investors Eddie Margain, Hollywood actor Matthew McConaughey, Marius Haas and Bryan Sheffield.

The tentative plan to form a sister team in the NWSL is designed to grow the Two Oak Ventures portfolio, further monetize the 20,500-capacity Q2 Stadium, and develop the city of Austin as a leading soccer market in the United States.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmm... Actually this announcement makes me think we're further from an Austin team that we thought before. I had been under the impression that discussions (even if just preliminary) between Austin and NWSL had been going on for some time now, especially since I thought we had heard a hint of progress about it last year. I can't see the full article, but someone else on Twitter pointed out that team officials made essentially the exact same statements two years ago. If they've had 2+ years of having NWSL on their radar but are still only in the "considering" phase, that does not inspire confidence.

14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Since it says coming years I say 5 years at least before Austin produces one. Feel like Dallas FC could have one by then.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Dallas has shown no interest in NWSL at all thus far. I wouldn't count on it happening any sooner than Austin, even if Austin is years away.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Something I dug up from the MLS forums:

Last bullet point was what I wanted to highlight for this thread - the potential Royals revival is contingent on the new RSL owners even being interested. If RSL won't have new owners until the end of the year, (sure it's possible it's sooner than that but they don't sound too confident on that,) they it'll be a long while before we find out about the Royals. They're a question mark, at best, for returning.

17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    The stadium is a dump. Below NWSL standards. Major roadblock for the team.

19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Is it the Torero stadium?

toad455 repped this.
  20. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Maybe they.will be required to make some modifications to the stadium.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's not their stadium. And there's not a lot more that can be done.

As bad as the stadium facilities are, the real issue would be the fact that the team would be at best second (mid-summer) and worst sixth (spring and fall) in the scheduling priority behind the Torero football and soccer programs and San Diego Loyal SC and Major League Rugby's San Diego Legion.

And they'll be playing soccer on a field shared with an American Football team and a Rugby team. And it is a grass field, hope it never rains in San Diego!

22. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    #1447 WoSoFan, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    The problem is timing. The best they can do for right now is put up with Torero stadium for one season because the new 35,000 seat Aztec Stadium’s construction want be done until the beginning of Ssptember 2022.

Though the stadium will be used for football, it is also being designed for soccer use by college and professional teams.

I haven’t seen anything official on whether that will happen, but I can not imagine the league giving any kind of approval unless there is a better stadium situation for the 2023 season and that seems like a good alternative.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A 35k stadium isn't exactly ideal, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

That's assuming they can afford the rent, or the Aztecs are willing to entertain an NWSL tenant.

24. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Here is a rendering tour of rhe stadium.

Looks like they can close off the upper decks that should provide plenty room for soccer fans.

Klingo3034 and toad455 repped this.
  25. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Klingo3034 repped this.