American commentary/atmosphere compared to THIS.

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by EffeKt, Jun 4, 2007.

1. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my god! He has an accent! Amazing!

2. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, thats about it too, try listening to him do a whole game not a 3 minute youtube clip. To my ears the guy's unimaginiative, placid, boring. Repeats everything, after about an hour of it I thought he was actually pretty difficult to listen to, he just kept saying the same stuff over and over and stumbling alot. Now I'm not saying there aren't great british announcers out there, clearly there are and on the whole they're better than ours are; but this guy isn't one of them and people who are going nuts over it are really only going nuts over the accent.

********ing children.

3. F.C.T.O.

F.C.T.O. New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Waterloo-Hamilton
    Nothing better than reading typical yankee bitchin.

:rolleyes:

CBC has good coverage, and the annoucers are great.

4. ike_11

ike_11 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Near London Ontario
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree with FCTO, i love the CBC coverage but I have to say that the Sportsnet and Score coverage are subpar.

Gerry Dobson is NOT a good commentator and should not even host "soccer central."

As for the FSC coverage I like some of their commentators but others have less enthusiasm than a golf commentator

5. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I ask for is that the commentators don't talk that much...like they do during EPL & SPL games.

Our guys cover it like hockey.

6. iancam75

iancam75 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Orange County/LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that commentary is good for Toronto and games at BMO on MLS Direct Kick. But that is the beauty of how this league is developing. Where else can you watch a league that has this type of commentary, great US announcers like JP Delacamra, Glenn Davis, and O'brian, and of course the great Spanish coverage that I enjoy watching every week as well.

Then there are the games broadcast by Rob Stone at Giants stadium on ESPN2. Why? This league doesn't even need New York when we have a market like Toronto.

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It could be that said announcer was an EPL announcer for a while. That's Nigel Reed by the way. I happen to live in Detroit and getting CBC is nice. Was great during the U-20 World Cup.

8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    its called the "mexican wave" bcuz the english picked up on it during the 86 World Cup. i guess they didn't know what the fk it was, so that's what they called it.

anyways, sorry if you already knew that and just wanted to strangle someone regardless. carry on.

9. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    what are you talkin about?? whats wrong with american coverage?? i happen to like it on espn.

10. PompeyChimes

PompeyChimes New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Portsmouth
    I prefer the American commentary than the majority of British announcers. I guess it's just something different. I do hate the weird Irish/Scottish guy tho - no need to have 3 :)

Maybe we can trade Clive Tydsley for Wynalda ? :)

11. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Davie Provan...his Scotish lilt is quite acceptable

12. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    the only thing that is boring in us comentary is that never a dribble is a well commented, the player dribble and the comentarist do nothing.

13. krayziegunts

krayziegunts Member

Jan 26, 2008
    New York City, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I remember watching that game and I wish I could experience such great atmosphere here in America

14. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I think the Spanish commentary that the MLS gets is better than what the CBC is putting out, the whole British thing is a bit drab for my taste, unless it's coming out the mouth of Ray Hudson (He da' man!). Different strokes...I guess.

So to recap:

Snoozefest
    Passionate

15. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What is the "Mexican wave" orginally called then? Im Curious

16. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    "La ola" (the wave).

17. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    no no i like wynalda! :) hes my fav. maybe just borrow him! yeah the scottish guy its any good

18. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill have Andy Gray and Martin Tyler any day of the week :)