America is doomed

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In one sense you are right, as the scientists are generally the only ones the do anything with the knowledge. However, I think it is still important that the general population be educated as much as possible. They do, after all, run this nation as we in America live in a democracy. With numbers like this, it isn't much of a stretch to think a demagogue will use people's ill-founded ideas to gain power and to suppress real scientific thought.

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Which is why science does not make such declarations. Do you know who Karl Popper is?

3. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your dumb-it-downness in everything positions you such that you can "guarantee" nothing. Either things are reflective of something, or they are not. The U.S., as a representative republic, needs a certain amount of fundamental reality among its citizens, such that they produce representatives who can share in that reality with the rest of the world. If we produce representatives to are committed to teaching Creation and living Revelations, that's ********ing IMPORTANT, and your guarantee will not extend past this generation. It's dangerous for the nation with the nukes and the bombs to be so committed to such unprovables, and for its citizens to be so committed to those unprovables being acted out to their completion.

YOU are not worried about it. YOU are not lobbying Congress everyday. You're engagement seems limited to BS. I wouldn't extrapolate you to the nation. In fact, Christians are demanding "payback" for what they see as having put Bush in the WH with an enactment and fulfillment of theri decidedly anti-Christ vision. The 'faithful' are taking over textbook writing and editing in certain states. You think that these questions are irrelevant in their lives? Are you joking?

This is fundamental BELIEF, guy. This is how it works, how it's always worked. It consumes. It condemns. It cannot be ignored, and must be challenged, or it does absurd levels of damage. It currently threatens to take the US through a mini-Dark Ages, to which the rest of the world will be proportionately subject, because the place where the Enlightenment goes out will also be the place capable of killing everyone on the planet.

This is no joke.

Wake up.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    "Doomed" was a bit over the top, but this is a very serious matter. This has NOTHING to do with whether people believe in God, and everything to do with whether people believe in mankind. Progess is not inevitable.

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    If kids are learning "creationism" in the classroom, the talent pool will shrink.

6. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Evolution vs Creationism is so 19th century... ;)

7. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!! I'm agreeing with Mel!! What is the world coming to!!! :D

Seriously this is important and MelB is right. If every unfounded cockamamy theory that any religious nut wants to foist can be taught in schools, science education suffers. Ultimately the development of science and economic competitiveness suffer.

Who is to say that the next Einstein or Bohr or Pasteur isn't sitting in a classroom in America right now being taught some religion-based idolatry rather than the best that science can offer. What a loss that is for mankind.

Face it, evolution is fact, not theory. It happens. It is what makes virii so difficult to combat. It is why most mosquitoes are resistant to DDT. There are a million examples supporting this fact of biology.

8. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish you were right.

9. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    First they came for the gays.

Then they came for the evolutionists.

Then they came for the Indiana Pacers.

They will take away our globes and replace them with Applebee's placemats.

Where have you gone, Dr. Stephen Jay Gould? A lonely nation turns its eyes (which evolved through scientifically valid theoretical principles) to you. Woo woo woo.

10. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because we are descendents of a more chimp like creature.

11. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I'll start worrying when a group of concerned scientists are PREVENTED from producing a report like this.

But then again, you and your ilk think freedom is on the way out in this country.

Meanwhile, I know you only like to read what you like to read if it happens to suit your rather peculiar sensibilty, but read the other side of the story here.

http://www.ostp.gov/html/ucs/ResponsetoCongressonUCSDocumentApril2004.pdf

A point by point refutation that, as far as I can recall, has generated no formal counterargument from the UCS.

Also read this:

http://www.ostp.gov/nstc/21stcentury/Final_sm.pdf

Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

12. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I especially liked this part: "The Administration’s strong commitment to science is evidenced by impressive increases devoted to Federal research and development (R&D) budgets."

So researching tactical nukes, missile defense systems and "clean" coal is a strong commitment to science?

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    You know, it just warms my heart to hear this demogogic wisea$$ comments from folks like you who, rather than look at the facts, would rather name call, slur, loathe, sneer, and express a supercilious contempt for those who don't walk like you, talk like you, or just don't give a **** like you.

This is why you and your ilk are slowly, but inevitabley, going to be politically marginalized.

Read the real numbers, jerk.

http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/srs/infbrief/nsf04331/start.htm

DOD accounts for slightly more than 10% of the federal funding for research. And my understanding is that all of the arms related work is placed in another budgetary line item.

Do us a favor? Print this out, fold it in five, and stick it where the sun don't shine? Twist it a little while you're at it.

14. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    A few years ago, I heard Gould give a talk and it was pretty astonishing (everybody should read his Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History).

Bottom line?? We're just one big piece of accidental contingent luck. Or that we could have all wound up looking like Jabba the Hut.

Though I think everyone will agree that Loney is more accidental and contingent than most.

15. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    And how long have they been teaching evolution in public schools? 100 years or so?

Where do you think these poll respondents were educated, Mexico?

16. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Karl...

Have you ever considered who "created" all of the above...

I am amazed at how "smart" we all think we are! It is though we each possessed an equal aptititude with God himself.

Funny thing is...in 25 years, what WE THINK WE KNOW now will be proven incorrect.

I was absolutely positive that WMD existed in Iraq before we invaded. So was every "smart" intelligence agency worldwide. It was the "popular" consesus.

I give the theory of evolution about as much credence as I give to Colin Powell's UN speech last year.

It is not what you know...it is what you don't know. And what you don't know is not knowable!

17. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's to say the next Einstein or Bohr or Pasteur hasn't been aborted over the past 30 years, due to humanistic idolatry rather than the best that society can offer. What a loss that is for mankind.

18. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where did all the gas or material or elements that exploded that sent the universe into existence come from?

19. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Maybe the Antichrist was aborted, thus sparing humanity Armageddon.

20. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a liberal that can actually win a national office was aborted, thus giving Republicans control 2 branches of government.

21. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's so bad about "clean coal" research? Anyhting to replace oil I say!

22. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    More likely the next Einstein got filled with self-esteem in school, dropped out and is now inventing stuff like the scoop-n-strain and the grip-n-flip.

23. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which are also worthy endevors!

In any event, there was some guy claiming a year back that as liberals are more likely to have abortions than conservatives, the number of liberals would decrease over time. Not sure I believe it. Then again, I am very ambivilant towards the whole issue.

24. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have this question with or without supernatural creatures. If you claim some supernatural "god" created it, then who created your "god"?

Also, please note that e=mc^2 works in both directions.

25. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Neither did I.