America deserves Pro Evolution Soccer.

Discussion in 'Games' started by thepremierleague, Aug 1, 2002.

1. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do most people here understand that Konami MLS 2002 is very different indeed to Pro Evolution Soccer apart from just the teams?

Pro Evolution Soccer is Identical to Winning Eleven, but MLS 2002 is very different even though it uses the same engine.

Gameplay, graphics and sound are completely different and inferior.

I really hope Winning Eleven or Pro Evo are released in America with MLS teams, but Konami is too scared right now and creates this dumbed down rehash.

2. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Winning 11 is sweet , although i am one of the rare few who think the Fifa series are better....2003 is supposed to be the shiat.

3. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that's part of the problem. Fifa has too much of a strangle hold in America.

Konami should just take a chance and release Winning Eleven with MLS and World teams instead of farming it off to another division to make MLS 2002.

4. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not so much the FIFA Franchise as it is EA Sports. A long time ago, they seperated themselves from the pack in pretty much every sport. If you want a good, somewhat realistic sports game in America, most people will tell you to get an EA game.

Now, the interesting thing to me is the decision by SEGA to be software only. I hold their NBA 2k2 and NFL 2k1 games in very high esteem (as far as competing against other games). Rumor has it, they are working on a Soccer 2k3, and I will definitely want to give that a look.

Speaking of FIFA 2003, any preliminary screen shots or anything available anywhere?? If they can expand on the new stuff they included in WC 2002, I think it would probably be a kick ass game!!

5. Nakeem 2006

Nakeem 2006 New Member

Sep 29, 2000
    TPL is stupid.

Pro Evolution Soccer = MLS Extratime game engine. I've been in talks with Konami and they have said the same.

Now, PES 2 is coming out in Europe and it is the same as Winning Eleven 6 which is better game engine than MLS Extratime 2002.

TPL has never played the game and he is in no position to talk about it. Pro Evolution was released in the U.S. in 2001.

6. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net

check out where's holland thread....

7. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Somebody enable this man to read reviews.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/356/356831p1.html

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,560625,00.html

It has the SAME GAME ENGINE but looks, sounds and plays COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to winning eleven 5.

Can anyone else explain why he's so thick?

8. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want a Pro-Evolution or Winning Eleven or whatever you want to call it released here in these United States.

But I want it to have:

MLS license (players, logos, kits, stadia, rules, etc.)

Franchise mode (5 or so consecutive seasons)

Create/Edit Players (and be able to use them in MLS and franchise modes)

Create/Edit Teams (and be able to use them in MLS and franchise modes).

Create your own Tournaments and Leagues

National Teams (hopefully with accurate players, but not a necessity)

In short, it should have all the bells and whistles that FIFA (or Madden, NHL, or any other EA Sports title) has.

But I want Konami's gameplay. I don't know if there is a massive difference in gameplay between Extratime and PE or WE, but I'm willing to plunk down my cash and find out. Extratime gameplay makes me happy (much moreso than EA's FIFA series), and if PE/WE is better then I will be happier. Just include the above features.

It's not like I'm asking for a complete A-League (Yet! :D)

9. Nakeem 2006

Nakeem 2006 New Member

Sep 29, 2000
    fact: Winning Eleven 5 is the same exact game as MLS extratime 2002 but with different teams.

fact: MLS Gamenight is the same game as Pro Evolution Soccer for the PSX, and they released the same version in North America, what North America did not get is a PS2 version.

fact: MLS Extratime has gotten rave reviews on several websites.

fact: MLS Extratime was not DUMBED DOWN, merely the Honolulu team was just lazy and did not port the WE6 new engine.

The PremierLeague has never played MLS Extratime yet he thinks he is an expert.

10. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    CAN ANY GOOD AMERICAN PEOPLE HERE PLEASE INFORM NAKEEM THAT HE IS TALKING OUT HIS ARSE?

Read This REVIEW:
    http://ps2.ign.com/articles/165/165724p1.html

QUOTE:

Konami's latest attempt is to tap and penetrate the American market more than ever before.

*But it's all messed up. Because while the Japanese received Winning Eleven 5, arguably the greatest next-generation soccer game on the planet, and Europe appears to be receiving ISS Pro Evolution, the soccer-poor US gets the strange hybrid from Konami's Honolulu Studios.

*ESPN MLS Extra Time isn't just retrofitted with the ESPN license, commentary, presentation and music, it's an altered -- more like neutered -- version of Winning Eleven Five that's just not as good as the original.

*The graphics, animation, the commentary, stadia, and the gameplay aren't as good as that pure Japanese product.

Hardly the same game Nakeem you fool, just a castrated version.

11. Nakeem 2006

Nakeem 2006 New Member

Sep 29, 2000
    you are aware MLS Extratime 2002 was never released on ps2 and you are reffering to an older game, right?

Bottom line is that I have actually played all the games we are talking about and you have not.

12. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You obviously have not. The review above was the PS2 2001 version, which you said was the same as ISS Pro Evolution, wrong. The 2002 reviews I posted before say the same thing about the 2002 version.

From day one MLS games have been inferior and are not the same. Do you know what a game engine is? It does not make graphics and gameplay the same even if it's based on the same game engine.

Anyway, you won't listen to me. Can anyone else here explain it to him?

13. Mark A

Mark A New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Athens, Ohio
    all banter is moot

Konami lost their espn license and their sport division is dead in the US.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Does this mean the US will get the so-called superior versions of these games, so that the issue can be resolved once and for all?

Of course, if Winning Eleven and Pro Evolution don't have MLS, they aren't worth owning, regardless of how "good" they are.

15. Nakeem 2006

Nakeem 2006 New Member

Sep 29, 2000
    i love how he keeps saying that the MLS versions are inferior yet he has never played them, he is just basing it on a review from ign.com

and he even said that pro evolution is not the same as the european version yet I own the ps1 euro version that I got in germany and it's exactly the same 100%

16. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PES

I played this game while in Australia a couple months ago and it is freakin' great. I would have played it more but the shop had all its games stolen.
    I still play ISS for PS1 rather than any of the new PS2 games

17. revfan11

revfan11 Member

Jul 10, 2001
    TPL is right

Here's an import review on Winning Eleven 6 from IGN

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/361/361202p1.html

MLS Extratime 2002 is improved over the first version on PS2, but it doesn't nearly stack up to the Winning Eleven series. For one thing, players play just about exactly how they are in real life on PES/WE. Plus, scores tend to be a lot higher in Extratime, as it is harder to score in PES/WE and it feels more rewarding as I've heard. It's likely that WE will be released in the U.S, as it says on this review, and I sure hope so.

18. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Thanks Revfan. Some people still don't understand.

They always make the MLS games easy and less realistic.

19. BlueMovie FC

BlueMovie FC Red Card

Dec 16, 1999
    Ohio
    I got Winning Eleven 6 last weekend. It has Japanese writing so some of it was weird. As for graphics it is better than MLS Extratime but not by that much. As for gameplay, it's about the same but Winning Eleven has more skill moves. It has more teams too but MLS extratime has more south american teams.

all thing being equal I think MLS Extratime is better because it has MLS teams. The gameplay is better but not that much better.

20. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    LOL. You have the game for one week and you say it is the same as MLS Extra Time. First, get the English patch so you can understand all the menus. All the teams and players will be translated with their real names because Konami didn't buy the license for them. This is the best footie game at the moment. If you like to play with MLS teams, then MLS Extra Time is your game. But if you like to play with the best teams in the world, then WE6 and PES2 will be your game.

WE6 English Patch
    http://www.winningeleven.mainpage.net/

MLS Extra Time Reviews
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/espnmlsextratime

MLS Extra Time 2002
    XBOX reviews
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox/espnmlsextratime2002
    Gamecube reviews
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/gamecube/espnmlsextratime2002

WE6 Reviews
    http://ps2.ign.com/articles/361/361202p1.html
    http://www.operationsports.com/ReviewVault/reviews.asp?game=winningeleven6
    http://www.ntsc-uk.com/MainContent/PS2/WinningEleven6/WinningEleven6.htm

For game tips and talk to others about WE6.
    Gamefaqs FAQ
    http://gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/16930.html

21. BlueMovie FC

BlueMovie FC Red Card

Dec 16, 1999
    Ohio
    videogamereviews.com is agod guage, and MLS Extratime 2002 ranks a 4.5 out of 5 and it is one of the highest ranking games on there.

If WE6 had the MLS teams I would obviously play that game. I bet most Americans would prefer MLS extratime 2002 though, the master league thing they do I think is kind of lame anyway since those teams are not in the same league in real life.

The basic passing system is the same. If I was objective I'd rate WE6 a 9 out of 10 and MLS extratime a 8.5 out of 10. Both are classy games, both are challenging. I just like MLS as a league so I prefer that game.

And please stop posting reviews from online sources, most reviewers are complete crap. Like I said videogamereviews is a better source since it is actual game players and not reviewers.

although I do agree on this about Winning Eleven:

"The first is that after you log in some serious hours with the game goals all tend to be scored the same way. It’s not like there’s only one way to score in the game but goals do tend to be look and feel the same. Another criticism that I have is that the opponents tend to mark every player in every situation. What this does like really limit the variety of chances you can create. Watching the World Cup this year you’ll see that not every time down the pitch, do players try to steal the ball away. WE6 needs to improve this system so that you get a chance to react and try to set-up a scoring chance.

Most of the issues that I’ve found with the game are more of nagging concerns then huge flaws. A few pesky issues like passing is a little too accurate or headers always seem to go where you want them. Like I mentioned before marking could be handled better as well. The controls could be tighter in future editions. There are times where the controls won’t respond. For instance when two players are chasing down a ball the AI takes over and imposes where you are going to run. At certain points where you want to cross the ball or shoot, the game doesn’t register that you’ve stopped pressing the button and you hit a moon ball. You will get used to these quirks because that’s all they really are and don’t take too much away from the game. But for future editions it does need to be addressed. "

22. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    I guess all those reviewers who said Extra Time is not good as you seems to think it is are all wrong. Look at the Pro Evolution Soccer Review at your videogamereview.com http://videogamereview.com/reviews/Sony_PlayStation_2/Sports/Sports-2866.asp
    and look at the score. Which is better??? WE6 is even better than PES.
    Go to the gamefaqs.com WE6 board and ask people people there which game is better.
    http://s2.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/gentopic.asp?board=16930

23. BlueMovie FC

BlueMovie FC Red Card

Dec 16, 1999
    Ohio
    first of all, MLS extratime is crap, MLS Extratime 2002 is much better and got high reviews on videogamreviews.com as you'll see.

I think pretty much everyone on these boards likes MLS Extratime, don't they? Why do you care? If you like We6 better then good for you. I like it too, I said it's probably the better game, but I would rather have a very good game with MLS teams than a great game with no MLS teams.

Now once and again, please stop posting reviews as evidence that WE6 is a good game, because I agree with you. And the fact that MLS Extratime 2002 only got decent reviews means very little.

24. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    Chill out man. Look at the subject of this thread. I am only posting reviews to support what thepremierleague was saying. You don't have to read those reviews just as much as I don't have to read your review about WE6 since you obviously have played countless hours ever since you got it last week to make a good summary of the game.
    Like I said before, if you like to play with MLS teams, then Extra Time is your game. If you like to play with the best club teams in the world, then WE6 and PES is your game.
    BTW, Extra Time actually has a higher ratings than Extra Time 2002 at videogamereview.com

25. BlueMovie FC

BlueMovie FC Red Card

Dec 16, 1999
    Ohio

well this sums it up. MLS gamenight sold nearly triple what Pro Evolution soccer did when they were both released in 2000. If Pro Evolution Soccer 2 ever came out in the U.S. I bet MLS Extratime 2002 would stiull heavily outsell it.

And I've played enough hours of Winning Eleven 6 to make an informed opinion on it. You think because I've only had it a week that i am in no position to comment on it? what a joke.