Am I too negative or do I expect too much?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by KAESO, Sep 21, 2003.

1. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    These are, according to the Galaxy Report, Sigi's statements after the game (in bold):

Tonight, I thought that we played more like the real Galaxy.

I agree, the 2003 Galaxy. The same team that has been playing boring, uninspired soccer all season.

It was a deserved victory

I disagree, neither team deserved the win.

I thought we carried the game, we didn't just sit back and the result of that I thought we deserved it. We were a bit unlucky with the chances that missed

Passing the ball around without purpose it's not exactly what I call an exciting game. By the same token, DC was "a bit unlucky" with the chances they missed.

I'm sorry, last night to me was one of the most boring games I've seen in a while.

No insults are necessary to express your opinions.

2. GalaxyIntl

GalaxyIntl New Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I found this to be an entertaining match (for 2003's standards) where we dominated much of the game and pinged some balls off the woodwork before putting one home in OT.

I dont think you are a bad guy for wanting more, but this game (to me) was in fact much more watchable from a quality standpoint than others this year.

3. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a great game to watch. Perhaps you are expecting much. The goal was ugly, but I'll take it--it gives us 3 points. Even my non-soccer brother enjoyed it.

4. Amigos F.C.

Amigos F.C. New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Chicago
    I thought the game was one of the better played G's games of the year. If they played with that much heart ever game they would be in a lot better place right now. Not only that it was some of the more better soccer I've seen out of MLS and the Galaxy this year. The pace was rapid for both sides, there was crisp passing and the fluidity of the game was nice to see.

5. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    3 points and I'll take it. But, guys, how far have we fallen when we think 6 shots on goal was a good effort??????????

6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get carried away with stats. 6 shots on goal included two off the woodwork. That means LAG generated several quality scoring chances, which is all you ever get in a good soccer match.

BTW: Why don't they ever use the SOG meter on the scoreboard? Is there a league rule against it? Is it decorative rather than functional? What gives?

7. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two shots off the woodwork, one off the line. If you found the match boring, blame Ray Hudson and his Bunker D. DC had 10 men behind the ball for the whole match only catching LA on the counter when Danny or Hong (yes Hong) got too far forward. The midfield moved the ball around well IMO.

I think you've come to expect too much. After all, this is a league that makes up rules just to insure that there is as much parity as possible.

8. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I never said it was a boring game. I am just pointing out how bad this year has been when a 99th minute goal in a 1-0 game with (okay 8-9) shots on goal is considered fabulous. We HAVE fallen far, Pease, whether you wanna acknowledge it or not.

I said it to my buddy at the game all second half, Ray Hudson allowed us to steal three points. His midfielders were clearly superior and yet he reigned them in to counterattack. What tapes have the United coaching staff been watching this year of LA? We have no mid. Go at us hard and you'll be fine. But, hey, thanks to the genius Hudson and his staff!

Still, I must say that a 1-0 "boring" game at HDC is far superior to any game at the Rose Bowl. The place is truly special.

9. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you're expecting much too. Hey, sometimes this is what soccer is: a grudge match that ends in an explosive and dramatic fashion (although our goal was ugly, but it gave us 3 points).

10. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    Anyway, thanks. To me it was boring.
    Try going to the DC Forum for their perspective on the game. Some of their stuff is pretty similar, and it should be, considering that the 2 teams that "have been" the elite of MLS are in the dumpsters right now (IMO). They (DC) have been there a lot longer than we have.

11. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    • Currently 3 road losses away from no wins on the road

• For at least half the season we were the lowest scoring team in MLS

• Only the collapse of Dallas has kept us out of the cellar in the West for the better portion of the season

• We are the reigning MLS champion

There is a high probability that our expectations are spot on, except we weren't prepared for a Galaxy organization (coaching staff and players) who never really decided to attack the season in defense of their crown. Loyalty keeps you rooting for the team even when they're crap, but it doesn't mean that you abandon the standards that you hold them to.