Am I the only person who watches Everybody Loves Raymond?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by 655321, Nov 17, 2004.

1. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'm clearly not, since it's been on so long and is so popular. However, everytime I bring it up to friends, noone will claim to like it. But I'll watch this ANYTIME I see it on, re-run or new episode.

I find it deceptively dumb and boring (I don't find dumb or boring, but that's everyone's complaints)...it's actually very clever and well written and the characters are fantastic.

Will anyone own up to it?

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, can't say I'm a fan of it. I lump it into the category of "sitcoms about blue collar schlubs who somehow manage to have really hot wives" genre. It's even less realistic than Monica's apartment in the West Village. ;)

3. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's OK but too "Three's Company-ish" in its predictability. Here is how each episode goes: Raymond will do/say something that shows he is too immature/irresponsible to be a good husband/father. Then he will spend the rest of the episode trying to correct his mistake while his mother makes things difficult for him by insulting his wife.

It's better than other sitcoms currently running but I don't like it enough to make a point of watching it. However, having said that, I do seem to see a lot of the episodes between re-runs and the Mon/9pm slot.

Peter Boyle is the best part of the show. He single-handedly brought "Holy Crap!" into common usage.

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good description. It's just that Raymond is so funny when he squirms. He really squirms well...

5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not big of a fan to watch every new episode. I don't even know what time the new ones are on. But I've watched a few on syndication and I like the show. It ain't fantastic but good enough that I'll watch it every once in awhile. One thing I never liked though (and I'm nitpicking here) is that Robert is an NYPD officer yet seems to work in Nassau County which the NYPD doesn't cover. I know, an insignificant detail. Other than that I enjoy the show when I watch it.

6. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I used to enjoy it but I got sick of watching robert getting screwed over and over again.

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I think you can tell by the quality of this season's episodes that the cast really didn't have their heart into one more year.

I actually like this show quite a bit, mostly because I enjoy Frank so much.

So, hold your head up high, 655321, 25 million "Raymond" fans can't be wrong! ;)

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'll agree that Peter Boyle makes the show, there's no doubt about it. I also like the way Raymond's and Robert's childhood are constantly referenced and used as a means to play off each other. The show is written very well.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never make a point to watch it, but I do think it's better than similar shows. The 'blue collar guy with hot wife' genre (I like that, bmurphyfl!) does set the bar pretty low, though. I certainly don't hate it--I think it's good for what it is.

10. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I think the main point is that there's a big difference between King Of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond that most people don't see.

That said...I won't change the channel if King of Queens comes on. I might get up to grab my bong, though... :rolleyes:

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Yeah, but Ray's not actually a "blue collar guy", he's a sportswriter, but I see where you're going with this. It's done in the same style as "The Honeymooners", which is definetley the blueprint for every other "Put Upon Husband/Smarter Wife" shows that the networks have run through the years.

Still pretty damn funny, especially the eps that are "Frank-centric".

12. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    He also gave us the classic "What kind of contest in Hell did I win?" after Marie referred to herself as a "trophy wife"

13. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Used to watch it. I think it started the slide toward mediocrity last year. Not sure when it's on anymore. For their first couple years, King of Queens and Raymond were both pretty solid.

14. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find the title "Everybody Loves Raymond" both tiresome and repetitive. I rage against conformity and I spit on your shoe. Ptoey! :p

I would consider watching King of Queens sometime, but only because of the hot wife.

15. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife loves it, but then again she also loves "Murder She Wrote" re-runs.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahem....that was me. ;)

17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Peter Boyle is the best part of the show. Also, am I bad for thinking that Patricia Heaton is a MILF???