Altidore: Villarreal vs. Sevilla, Dec. 14, 13:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Bite o' the Cherry, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That was actually my assumption, I just didn't spell it out word-for-word. (Yes, a team playing a 4231 that is on even terms and matching up well in the midfield would naturally be able to be able to offer a lot more support in terms of both supporting runners and service than it sounds like Villarreal was able to offer Jozy today.) It sounds like an awful lot was being asked of him in any case. Big and strong he is, but I don't see him as being ready to beat a crowd just yet, and that definitely sounds like that was the case tonight, as one would expect in a 10 man situation down a goal.

Then again, I didn't see this match, I'm reading what you guys wrote. It just sounds as if it squares pretty well with my previously-held opinions.

Anyhow, how does everybody feel that, from the way he looked, his composure in dealing with the pressure, etc, Jozy repaid the faith reluctantly shown him today. Clearly, going with a 19 year-old as a lone striker was probably not Pelligrini's preferred pre-match tactical choice, much less while down both a man and a goal. Obviously he'll know that he asked a lot of him given the situation, and not responding with an equalizer probably doesn't lower his stock much on its own, but do you think given his performance that Pelligrini will still rate him as making good progress, or not? I know it's tough to take too much from situations like this, but I'm asking for honest impressions.

2. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  3. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    I think the guy who does the ratings for Goal.com is bias. (Pires has sucked for the last 3 games)

I think Jozy played much better last week then today......but he gave him lower rating last week than today...go figure..

The good news was the defense somwhat held up today and Lopez had fine saves, but the midfield went MIA.

4. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    True, but don't forget Ching....;)

5. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    It's all about the right kind of effort AND at the right moments. Exertion for the sake of "effort" doesn't win sporting contests.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    hey, I like the Chinger!

7. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really don't understand some people's need to tear down one player because they would like to see more of another. A lot of people on these boards seriously underrate Ching's performance for club and country for no better reason than his not being Altidore or Cooper.

8. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Jozy was OK. He was better and more of a presence than Llorente. But he was hounded by Sevilla's defense and the midfield was slow to move the ball forward when they did have it. So Jozy never got much of a chance to make an impression.

The one thing that did stand out is that Jozy had a little difficulty shielding defenders and maintaining possession. I'd like to see him use his size and strength to abuse defenders more. Other than that, today was a wash.

9. poobah_1

poobah_1 Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Sometime when I read these boards after a game. I really worry about the state of futbol in the US. Not for the players. The fans have more to learn than the players do.

1) A lone forward playing 10 down is meant to draw as many people to him. Not to chase. Not to 'make an effort' and chase balls into the defensive 1/3 (only in the last 5-10 minutes when possession is critical). To stand up high and be an outlet is proper technique. Without that the defense has to try to play through a midfield that they are down a man.

2) When a coach puts in a secondary striker with 10 minutes to go and a man down it is to draw a defensive midfielder back, if the target is doing a good job occuping the two central defenders, and equalize things in the midfield. Normally, this is the point when the target striker tries to draw fouls to get a set piece goal. I think in the last WC a certian Beenhaker used this tactic to great effect vs. sweden. Point being, if Jozy was stinking it up, the coach puts in a winger or midfielder and tells him to draw a penal.

3) Technique for receiving pass from the midfield if you are a striker is different according to many different people. Some coaches want you to chase and meet the ball. Some ask you to shield and wait for the balll to come to you. I won't argue that, but if you want to play a quick pass to an overlapping runner from the midfielder, you hope to recieve the ball at pace and play it into space. That play cannot be performed if you are running at the ball, as you have to either backheel or stop and control the ball before passing. The quick flick and go is a staple of the CF, that technique is played with your back to goal, holding off and engaging the a defender, hopefully two defenders, but the CF must remain stationary and wait for the ball to be delivered at pace. If the CF moves, engagement is lost with the defender(s) and allows the defense to reset.

Josmer is doing fine. His teamates need to learn to adjust to him more than he needs to learn to adjust to his teamates. He is the striker. Is is their job to get the ball to him. Not vice versa.

My opinions only. I am wrong at least 83% percent of the time.

According to my wife.

Hi SFS. Happy Holidays.

PooBah

3)

10. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it looked like Jozy was going to be beaten to the ball, plus Jozy went down a little easily, so the no-call was reasonable.

11. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Isn't this thread suppose to have [R] ?

12. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be assumed since we are in YA:Game day. YA :Game day is for PBP and game threads only.

13. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Thanks....learn stuff everyday here...

14. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hey, Poobah.

The same to you and yours.

I think today we had learned that Julien Escudé and Sébastien Squillaci are really, really good.

As are Adriano, Navas, Kanoute, Renato, Romaric, Drago and Capel.

Chalk it off to a lesson learned.

But I do I think if Jozy's going to box off his defenders, he has to initiate the contact a la Carsten Jancker/Alan Shearer type and live with the offensive fouls.

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore didn't get a look on goal. Of course, he didn't get much service but he either lost the race for every slightly promising ball every time or went down. He started off unable to control the ball but got better at knock-ons as the match progressed.

P.S. Guille Franco was much more of a nightmare and Llorente was horrible even before being sent off (the South African announcers were calling for Llorente to come off at halftime).

17. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    and don't forget the midfield was MIA

18. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe he's just italian?

19. bobbydigital

bobbydigital Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didnt watch the game but you would you say after this week performance that jozy should have been loaned out? or was this like a one game thing because they were down to 10. from what i read about last week he didnt do so well either.

20. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did not perform poorly this week. He did not receive service. They long balled to him a lot, after the ball was held up at the midfield for a bit allowing the defense to be set. Defense are at advantage when this happens because they can comeback to the ball. He did look like an Italian aa few times out there taking dives. I really would not be surprised if he started the next match.

21. strawman

strawman New Member

Aug 16, 2008
    oxford
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, we will certainly see what Pellegrini thinks of him next week. Villarreal as previously mentioned is playing Barcelona (league leaders) at home. Beyond that, I can't imagine Jozy playing at Real Madrid (three points behind villarreal) or Valencia (currently 2nd in the table), provided Nihat and Rossi recover from their injuries during the short winter break. Nevertheless, I think any playing time in these three games indicates that Pellegrini believes Jozy can play at this level and is testing him to see how long it will take for him to be a viable spot starting option when all five forwards are ready. Anything contrary is just all conjecture----we've had plenty of young players "play" for teams in the first division who were more flavor of the month than anything else. Arguez and Hill seem to strike a chord. Jozy has really only arrived when he's an option that Pellegrini prefers when he has all of his options open. This is not to take away from Jozy still being good enough to be relied upon for cover and his play is still incredible considering the context.

22. ragin bear

ragin bear New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't he be on the bench again this week for Barcelona with the red carded player out?

23. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and possible injuries to other forwards.

24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    No, Jozy will not be on the bench against Barca. He will START against them.

Llorente OUT
    Nihat/Rossi injured
    Franco (is probably behind Jozy in the depth chart at this point)