Altidore not in squad for Mexico friendly?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GoHawks4, Jan 25, 2008.

1. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    we still have better forwards than jozy, probably not for long but twellman is still better, ej is better, ching is better, cooper is better and maybe even rolfe and a few others. i do belivee in another year or two he will be one of the better forwards if not the best. although charlie davis will be up there two.

we need the best team possible against are arch rival no matter the importance of the game(friendly).

2. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude you have got to be kidding me....TT and Rolfe better than Jozy!!!!

I can understand Ching and EJ...Cooper maybe (a big maybe), but those 2???

BTW I don't think Rolfe is totally useless but he should never be tried at FW again.

3. blue_wizard10

blue_wizard10 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Neverland
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    ching is a target and if usa wants a target forward, he's option #1....

kenny cooper, i don't even put him into the equation, as all mentioned are better than he is, and until he shows it, too bad...the broken leg hurt last year, so let's see what his form will be early mls...

rolfe, to me, is a better evrsion of josh wolff, rolfe offers much the same game, with better finishing....when everything unfolds, i see rolfe seeing wcq playing time...

ej...well fulham will define his future, will his game mature to the epl level...if so, then short term, he's better than altidore...

but altidore will knock the freaking door down real soon, maybe by septemeber of this year...

but you don't make an 18 year old option #1...you wait a bit...mainly the u-23, then let him be a sub for wcq, but i do believe his time in 2009 will come, and he;ll seize the job, or else some one else....ej...will prevent him...

twellman....i don't see him having a role in a match which means something

5. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    at this point in time? yes. in a year or so? probably not. cooper i dunno he's a guy with size but doesnt use it, if he played more like ching(target) id say definatly so. twellman ist very big or fast but can just flat out shoot and works hard. He should be played behind a target because he's just not strong or tall enough too be a target at the international level consistently.

id say are forward depth chart looks like this

target
    ej
    ching
    jozy
    not sure

behind target
    ej
    twellman
    cooper
    jozy

of course iam only counting pure forwards so donovan, dempsey etc arent included

never mind about rolfe he is better as a midfielder, although i really do like.

dont be quick to jump on me on this, i do believe jozy is the future, i just dont think the future is now. i believe we should give him every opurtunity to succed, we should give him caps against weaker international competion first( wheather younger comption with the u-23, 2nd and lower tier countrys and c and d teamed soccer powers like the sweden team we just faced. then let him work his way up, we dont want him getting frustrated and have him lose his confindence.

6. Acekiller

Acekiller Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
  7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously?
    Thank goodness you don't run the national team program!

8. polak metro

polak metro New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    this squa training isnt the team that will play mexico. he can still call up altidore

9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone that has EJ above Jozy on a depth chart need a swift kick in the ass.

Bigsoccer is such a microcasim of the country, many inteligent people that set the discourse and a never ending line of dumb f*cks that dont know their ass from a hole in the ground.

When did the USA forums become a haven for offspring of jrl?

10. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    Absolutely. Get him out there now, as well. See the up side and go with it.

11. StevieGistheTruth

StevieGistheTruth New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Houston
    I'm going to the game and if I have to watch Twellman make a fool of himself against Mexico, I'm going to be very dissapointed. Altidore should probably stay with the u-23s, but I'm selfish and I want to see him play in person.

12. TheBaRoN

TheBaRoN Member

Jan 23, 2006
    London, England
    I think Altidore should play in this, he needs to feel what a real nasty match is like not Sweden reserves.

I think he'd rip them a new arsehole and Mexico always make the US up their game.

Adu is a must as well.

13. Acekiller

Acekiller Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I agree, Jozy and Adu must play in this for the fervor of it, especially Jozy. At least Adu (sort of) gets that feeling from playing in Europe. But Jozy does not; his inclusion is almost fully necessary.

14. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    adu and altidore will get their full of mexico in nashville in march....

i suspect the feb 6 match will be very close to usa top 11....

i'll be stunned if twellman starts

15. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Adu will be released for this match.

16. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    true, that's a good reason usa doesn't want to meet mexico in the semis...

2004 redux could be possible in that scenario...

i do wonder what sorts of discussions bradley/nowak have had with benfica over the oly qual chances...

say dos santos and vela come...usa is in big trouble without our big card..

17. Lobooho

Lobooho Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Cali
    I don't think he'll (Adu) be invited for the Feb. 6 match. I don't think Coach Bradley will bring someone in from europe and not start them. Adu hasn't exactly been a starter with his professional team. I'd love to see Freddy come in, start and play well but I think his next games will be with the U-23s. Altidore could start since he's been in stateside camps and got a 45 minute run out last week. If EJ and Ching were available, Jozy probably wouldn't see the bench for Mexico. However, I'm preparing myself not to freak out if Jozy doesn't start and you know who does.

18. cory

cory New Member

Aug 7, 2004
    ching and donovan are by far our best combination by far and being a houston supporter and its a home game and im flying home to see it im very disappointed ching isnt going to be there it would be nice to figure out how to get dempsey in on the mix with those two

19. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    dude jozy is 18 year old and has only one full pro season under his belt, did he even out score ej last season??? nope

people just dont understand that jozy is still potential not product yet but he is getting there.

20. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    sanchez brought vela and dos santos from spain...

no altidore, no adu, that's gonna disappoint big time!

21. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    agread! at r-mid or a-mid of course

22. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    yeah but no castillo, for me mexico's best player! another 2-0 win?? could possibly happen! or not...

23. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    i wanna see the guardado/cherundolo battle....

if the fulham americans are absent, i'm not holding my breathe...

do we expect usa to win forever 2-0??

24. Lobooho

Lobooho Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Cali
    So if we lose 2-0 or whatever, will we lose with class?

25. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    nope but the reason it was 2-1 at the gold cup was because of castillo.