Alternate Stadium Plan offered....@ RFK?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Shark, Nov 5, 2004.

1. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude the majority of the housing now in downtown DC starts in the $500,000 range and goes up (and this is for 1 bedroom condos). And I don't know where you're from but there are people who live in DC who actually give a damn about the poor and their decreasing housing options. (Shuffling people out of the city, oy vey. I should get Marion Barry on here, he'd straighten you out!)

K

2. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know DC doesn't compare to snazzy areas like the Bronx or ritzy bedroom communities like (gasp!) Teaneck, but still, there are actually sections within the city limits that aren't slums.

3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now's the time to unveil the SSS plan, with heavy private financing from the Anschutz empire and relatively little required of the District government. It will stand in such contrast to MLB's mugging of the DC government that I would expect smooth sailing (except that this is DC).

4. JMStafford

JMStafford New Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Arlington
    How base ball does stadium deals

I guarantee that no jurisdiction wants the leeches known as Major League Baseball sucking their treasury: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7597-2004Jun26.html

Seriously, if baseball finds an owner who wants to pour $600 million of his own money into building a stadium in D.C. then city would be foolish to not through in $75-100 million in infrastructure improvements as the stadium will easily generate the tax revenues to cover that.

But if baseball wants the city to foot the whole bill for the stadium then the city should just tell Major LEague Baseball where they can put their bat.

If Anschutz wants to be like Pollin and Cooke and build a soccer specific stadium GREAT! He can keep all the revenues and make a profit off of the place and make United a profitable property.

But any sports team owner who can't make money on team that owns its own facility is too poor a businessman to own a sports team (I think this pretty much describes most owners of baseball teams).

5. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: How base ball does stadium deals

i dont really have a stake in the whole baseball stadium issue as i'm not much of a fan of baseball, and furthermore, i live in VA so my voice on that subject is really moo. However, i don't begrudge baseball fans a team or new stadium. i hope they get what they want.

But in regards to DC United, this speaks HUGE volumes about the problems of dealing with DC govt. Here are MLB and Mayor Williams who have spent tons of time, effort and who knows what kinda $$ over the course of several years to figure out a way to bring the Expos here. This wasn't just a stadium concern, it was a Anacostia Waterfront concern as well. They have everything worked out, and all they need is approval, and at the last minute *all of a sudden* there are issues. People dont want the stadium, the finances are an issue, the location is an issue, new proposals are coming up. Its like starting all over again from scratch. Its actaully laughable. I'm sure the mayor is probably saying to himself "Why didn't you people bring this up before?". it is really like the Peanuts comics where Lucy holds the ball for Charlie and promises to not take it away, but then does anyway.

I really have no faith that even if one proposal or the other gets approved that it will actually get all the way to a completed stadium. MLB would be rightfully upset at this 11th hours proposal and, IMHO, well within their rights to just say "Naw, forget it, we're going to Vegas instead". The only leverage DC has, which is probably what Cropp is banking on, is that its too late for MLB to change their mind and go elsewhere.

Even tho DC's stadium plans are a lot less complicated than baseball's, I still see no reason for optimism when dealing with DC govt. I would actaully rather have the stadium in VA or MD just to not have to deal with them.

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My optimism for the Anacostia River site for the SSS is based in part on the assumption that the DC government/City Council would play a more limited role in the planning and execution than they will for the baseball stadium, because of the largely private financing and the dovetailing with the Anacostia River development plan. Now is the time to move, while the baseball issue is in utter confusion and resentment over public financing is growing. The contrast between AEG putting up its own money vs. the MLB team owners putting up nothing is huge.

I like the site, too. With luck, we can clean up the river so it doesn't smell too bad, although when the Mutts come to town we can ask for a sewage discharge just to make them feel at home!

7. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington

I agree with your post up to this point. But I don't view MLB's position with any less skepticism than anyone else's position. It's all about getting the best deal ($) possible.

I'd be willing to support Anthony Williams if I knew approval of his idea would pave the way to a SSS across the Anacostia from the new ballpark. But that's a pretty big assumption. An SSS at Poplar Point is a nice goal but it's hard to know whether baseball would help or hinder us in achieving the goal.

Here's the article from today's Post. Looks like neither side is confident of victory:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32796-2004Nov7.html

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

I think a baseball stadium on Anacostia does a whole lot more to push through a SSS for Poplar than a baseball stadium at RFK would.

But really, the hope should be that things are decided for final soon, before then I don't think AEG or DC will move to finalize negotiations.

9. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that it would be wise for AEG to hold off until the baseball stadium situation is resolved one way or the other. Even though the AEG concept for a SSS and related development is basically owner-financed along the lines of MCI Arena, there's a danger that it could be lumped together in the public mind with the over-reaching and rather greedy MLB plan.