Alston get NT call up (NRC) or (SRC- sort of rev content??? )

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by peabrainedidiot, Feb 4, 2010.

1. USRevolution2010

USRevolution2010 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Lowell
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    before we know it he'll be leaving for a second division european team...

1 person likes this.
  2. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have faith, he'll be playing top-flight Scandinavian football soon enough!

3. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Alston, along with the possible return of Twellman are the only exciting things happening with this team this year. Alston is the real deal and won't be here long. I wonder if the peabrains in the front office have considered the fact that he might make the WC team? Do they know, that if that happen, he won't be able to play for the Revs for over a month? I'm not giving them any credit for putting that together. Maybe they should release an experienced backup defender to get cap room they'll never use and then be forced to play a college kid if everything falls in place

I'm about to start one of those yearly XXX days with no action posts to discuss everything the Revs are no doing while many teams are getting stronger. SN on yearly talent hunt in the Africa counts for nothing

4. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Alston, along with the possible return of Twellman are the only exciting things happening with this team this year. I wonder if the peabrains in the front office have considered the fact that he might make the WC team? Do they know, that if that happen, he won't be able to play for the Revs for over a month? I'm not giving them any credit for putting that together. Maybe they should release an experienced backup defender to get cap room they'll never use and then be forced to play a college kid if everything falls in place

I'm about to start one of those yearly XXX days with no action posts to discuss everything the Revs are no doing while many teams are getting stronger. SN on yearly talent hunt in the Africa counts for nothing

5. USRevolution2010

USRevolution2010 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Lowell
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bringing in a reinaldo navia = doing nothing. got it.

6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Alston, along with the possible return of Twellman are the only exciting things happening with this team this year. I wonder if the peabrains in the front office have considered the fact that he might make the WC team? Do they know, that if that happen, he won't be able to play for the Revs for over a month? I'm not giving them any credit for putting that together. Maybe they should release an experienced backup defender to get cap room they'll never use and then be forced to play a college kid if everything falls in place

7. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    until Naiva does something for us I dont know why he would be viewed as anything other than Abundis v 2.0

8. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    until navia plays like abundis why would we assume he's abundis v2.0?

(not be be a dick, but we should give this guy a chance before we judge. he was a top-class player in his heyday)

9. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget Abundis v2.0. Until he's signed, he's Jeremiah White v2.0.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because his track record is very similar to Abundis, and many players of Abundis' ilk that have come to MLS. If the guy ends up being a good player, awesome, but right now I'm expecting him to do just about what Abundis did.

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Hey, let's not pick on Abundis. He played pretty well when he was in there (in his brief time, he was by far the best holding forward the Revs have *ever* had).

There's not much he can do if the coach doesn't play him - which was what prevented him from making more of an impact - and why he left after the season.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you being serious?

Again, we're talking about Abundis. Are you serious?

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Absolutely. From the first minute he got in, he showed that he could hold the ball much better than Twellman, much better than Noonan ... and I can't think of anyone who's been better at "holding" the ball so the midfield can get up to support the attack. Just talking about that one specific attribute.

And, FWIW, I think Dario Fabbro was the best "passing" forward we've ever had.
    Yeah. He got in a couple of games when everyone was injured and then Noonan, I think, came back and Abundis was basically stuck on the bench for the duration. I remember that he was pretty baffled, wondering why they bothered signing him if they had no intentions of playing him. And he had an option for a 2nd year, but declined because he didn't want to spend another season sitting on the bench.

I'm not saying the guy was a superstar or anything, but you could see he had a lot of "class" in his game. This is a guy who scored over 100 goals in the Mexican League, had 40 caps for Mexico - and we played him in just 4 games.

14. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to go with RevsLiverpool here. Whatever his qualities were in the past, he was not good with the Revs. He looked terribly out of shape and old, and didn't show anything in the games that justified him being out there. I can't speak for how he practiced, but if it was anything like how he played, I understand why SN didn't play him.

And after he left the Revs, he went to a 2nd division Mexican club, only played 12 games, never scored, and then retired. Add to that the fact that he averaged just over 3 goals/year in the 6 years prior to joining the Revs and I think it's safe to say he was past his sell by date by the time the Revs got him.

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

Rkupp, that's an awful big conclusion to make in four games.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I could just see that he had the ability. He knew how to absorb the inevitable impact from the defender without letting the ball get knocked loose. Then he was able to shield it to protect it from the defender.

I don't think there's much competition for "best holder" among Rev forwards. Twellman isn't good at it (though clearly better than Dube, etc.). Jankauskus is probably the 2nd best. Going back further, I don't recall many who were even decent at holding up.

17. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Not over Twellman, Joe-Max Moore, or Alberto Naveda just to name a few.

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Twellman's name and the words "great passer" ever been mentioned in the same sentence?

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Naveda was a midfielder.

20. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Naveda was a forward when he came to us who we had to play in midfield because we stunk so bad. That's why he scored so many goals. So technically I was cheating a little with that example :)

21. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alston has been scratched - it's his hamstring again. At this point he should probably just shut it down for a month or so.