AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wright is on the bench. Coventry (9th) visiting West Brom (5th).

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    There seems to be some quantum entanglement with Sargent: when Haji does well, Sarge disappears, and vice versa.

With Sarge having a great run of form, Haji risks getting benched for good. He's had four poor games in a row.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT, TimB4Last, Suyuntuy and 3 others repped this.
  4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    They lose 2-1. Can't say Haji did a ton outside of the penalty.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A goal every 3 games ain't bad for a newbie to the Championship and mostly used on the wing.

6. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m in the mood to hype up Haji. He went from 11 goals in Danish Superliga, to 14 in Turkey followed by 15 the next season. Now he’s up to 11 in the Championship and in all likelihood, will eclipse his previous high.

I’m not saying he’s the USMNT #1,2, or even 3 Striker (he’s been playing wing at Coventry to be fair), but numbers like these, a trajectory like this through various clubs and countries, to me, shows a guy hungry for goals in order to prove himself and climb the ranks of top leagues. He may be down the pecking order for the USMNT, but I’m wondering how we can get this guy on the upcoming rosters?

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Get a good coach? ? ?

Jumbalaya, HScoach13 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Few, if any, teams in the top 20 of the world are gonna go with a striker working in D2 of England or any country. That just isnt the level needed, even for us. I'd way rather give those experiences to Esmir, who seems headed for big things.

superdave repped this.
  9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    or one with an inferiority complex. I strongly dislike Gregg but this isn't on him.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He was an actual striker in Turkey. Here he's mainly wing/wide forward. So 11 is very good.

11. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well..I thiink Wright and Sargent might be taking the Ream and Cameron path in England which is to say...they will be making a lot of money..but will have bouts in the Championship. Ream and Cameron have a lot of caps.

A big risk for them long term financially would be them transferring out of England too a unfavorable situation.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    That was before our "golden generation". I def would not have said this a few years ago. I guess I/we are getting spoiled!

13. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Cameron's probably not the best example. He was pretty much exclusively a Premier League player when he was getting USMNT caps. He transferred to England relatively late in his career (or at least relative to Sargent and Wright), and spent his first 6 seasons there in the Premier League. Then in his mid-30's he spent his last 3 years there in the Championship, but he wasn't getting called up to the national team at that point.

Ream's probably a better example, in that he spent his prime years in both the Premier League and Championship and got UMSNT caps while in both leagues. (Though I think ideally Wright and Sargent would want to avoid going 6 straight years without any top flight experience, like Ream did at one point.)

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Along with the team, Haji has gone slightly off the boil in the last 3-4 games. However, the bright spot is that his penalty yesterday was very well taken and that he seems to have been made the team's designated penalty taker - at least when O'Hare isn't on the pitch ;).

A sign of the manager's confidence in him

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Coventry have dropped out of the playoff slots and are now 5 points off 6th place, a consequence of losing 2 games in a row. However, their next 2 games are against already-doomed Rotherham and nothing-to-play-for Watford, which should see them back in the hunt for 6th place..

It's after that that things become interesting, with the next 8 games including 1 playoff chaser (Hull), 3 desperately battling relegation (Huddersfield, Birmingham & Blackburn) and 3 out of the 4 sides chasing an automatic promotion spot (Leeds, Southampton & Ipswich).

None of those 7 teams can afford to settle for a draw, so there will be scoring opportunities for Coventry. If they can convert them - a big if admittedly - they'll still make the last playoff spot. They did the same last season, with a run of wins and 5 draws in the final 10 games seeing them finish 5th.

Hopefully they can do the same again

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hopefully a brace tomorrow!

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The good kind! I think the best we can hope for given the current standings is:

Leeds (Aaronson) - automatic promotion

Norwich City (Sargent) - promotion playoff [1 point from 6th = Hull City] - on the doorstep

Coventry City (Wright) - promotion playoff [5 points out] - still in range

... or less likely, not just by points but teams to catch/pass ...

Cardiff City (Horvath) - promotion playoff [9 points out]

{To get two teams into the playoff, we'll need Dike-less West Brom to drop out, as well as Hull City.}

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    [​IMG]

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wright is still ahead of Sarge, with 11/5 to his 11/1, and ranked 10th in the league (Sargent is 13th). Of course Josh was out injured, but Wright plays wing/wide.

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wright starts! Coventry City (9th) hosting Rotherham Utd (24th/last). Must have these three points.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Casper repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #4996 TimB4Last, Mar 5, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Coventry ahead 2-0 midway through the first half ...

Edit 3-0 at 27' - Simms with a brace

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Haji assist on the Simms hat-trick.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Working on goal difference, which might be important.

24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure? I am not after watching the video a dozen times.

1765116092714750326 is not a valid tweet id

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nope, was just regurgitating the stat sites.

That looks like it's off the defender to me. Great assist to the wrong team.

bshredder repped this.