Allsvenskan Final Round

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by kwik1980, Oct 30, 2004.

1. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Halftime scores from the last round of the Allsvenskan, with a lot still up for grabs...

Örebro SK - Landskrona BoIS 1-0
    Djurgårdens IF - Helsingborgs IF 0-0
    Hammarby - Kalmar FF 0-1
    Malmö FF - IF Elfsborg 0-0
    Halmstads BK - IFK Göteborg 1-0
    Örgryte IS - GIF Sundsvall 0-1
    Trelleborgs FF - AIK 1-1

If these scores hold, Halmstad will be Champions, Kalmar will make the Royal League, and Örgryte will have to go into the playoff to stay in the Allsvenskan next year.

For the record, the Lennart Johansson trophy, which goes to the league Champion, is in Halmstad today, and some officials of the SFF are in place, should a presentation be needed after the match. A replica of the trophy, and other league officials are in Malmö, should they manage to leapfrog Halmstad and win the title.

2. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    The final round is complete. Full scores later on...

Djurgårdens IF-Helsingborgs IF 2 - 1
    Halmstads BK-IFK Göteborg 1 - 1
    Hammarby-Kalmar FF 0 - 3
    Malmö FF-IF Elfsborg 1 - 0
    Trelleborgs FF-AIK 1 - 3
    Örebro SK -Landskrona BoIS 2 - 0
    Örgryte IS-GIF Sundsvall 1 - 3

For the record, the goal that wins the Swedish League for Malmö is scored by Jon Inge Höiland in the 54th minute in front of 27,343 at Malmö Stadion. Malmö's title is their 15th, and first since 1988.

As far as the Royal League goes, Malmö, Halmstad, IFK Göteborg, and Djurgården will be Sweden's representatives. Malmö will also enter next season's Champions League, and Halmstad goes to the UEFA Cup. As of right now, IFK Göteborg is in the Intertoto Cup, but that is pending the result of the Swedish Cup final on November 6th between IFK Göteborg and Djurgården. Winner gets a slot in the UEFA Cup, and the loser will go into the Intertoto Cup, so Djurgården is also guaranteed European football of some sort next season.

AIK and Trelleborg are automatically relegated, with Örgryte having to play off against Assyriska for the final Allsvenskan spot. Matches will be held on November 3rd at Assyriska, and November 7th at Örgryte.

3. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kwik, you've done another wonderful job this season.

thanks!

4. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    seconded. fantastic work. much appriciated!

im happy to see DIF making the royal league slot, as well as continuing european football. kalmar definately put up a good fight, as well. they did all they could but ended up falling short.

5. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Thanks to people out there for actually reading this. Nice to know there are others out there interested in leagues other than the major ones.

As far as the Royal League goes...it's probably good for the league, prestige-wise to get the "popular" clubs involved right off the bat, but it would have been nice to see Kalmar crash the party, especially right after promotion. By all rights for Kalmar, this was a hugely successful season. Relegation was never really a concern, and for a while, they were legitimate championship contenders. As long as they don't take the ending of the season as a sign that the whole year was a dissapointment, then Kalmar could make some major noise next year.

6. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I second that. I started following the Allsvenskan because I have many swedish ancestors. However, not being able to pin down my ancestry to a certain region or town, I just went with Malmo basically just because I like their kits. Turns out it's a pretty interesting city, the more I read about it.

How did you get into this, Kwik (sorry if I've asked, before)?

Well, off to pluck out some New Zealand Football Chamionship scorelines.

7. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    I spent a year in Sweden as an exchange student, so that's what turned me to the Allsvenskan. Lived in a town near Kalmar, spent a lot of time in Kalmar, and went to the odd game at Fredriksskans.

8. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similar with me, I spent 5 years living in stockholm (1996-2001) and lived just up the road from Stockholms Stadion. Too bad i didn't live there a couple years later, so i could enjoy Djurgården's success from closer. I just got to watch promotion from Div.1 to Allsvenksan, relegation, and then promotion again... :)

Going down was possibly the best thing that could have happened though, even though we were pretty pissed off in Norrköping going down on the last day of the season.

If it wasn't for that year in Superettan, DIF would still be languishing near the bottom of Allsvenskan, i'm sure.

At least i got to be there for the promotion season, that was fun.

9. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    A lot of fellow exchangers!

FC Café Opera. Can I get some information on this side?

10. mellon

mellon New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Liverpool
    Of course, they are quite an acheivement, similar to Ljungskile and Assyriska. Cafe Opera is actually a posh restaurant/bar in Stockholm, and the football club was actually founded by employees and the owner of the restaurant. Back in 1991 they founded Cafe Opera and started playing in a Sunday league which they totally dominated.

Because the sunday leagues were of too less quality the founders decided to sign up the Club for the real league system, hence Cafe Opera entered the swedish league system in 1992. The first season (division 8) went well with Opera winning the league as newcomers and scoring an healthy sum of goals with 113 and conceded 16.

In 1993 they won promotion for the second season in a row winning division 7. In 1994 the club decided to merge together with Djursholms Fotboll and the club automatically got promoted to division 4. In 1995 the team won division 4 and was promoted to division 3, where they stayed for only one season once again two years successful promotions, which meant they would start the 1997 season in division 2.

In 1999 the team finally took the latest step and qualified to Superettan, and thats were they are currently positioned.

1991: Sunday League
    1992: Division 8
    1993: Division 7
    1994: Division 4
    1995: Division 4
    1996: Division 3
    1997: Division 2
    1998: Division 2
    1999: Division 2
    2000: Superettan
    2001: Superettan
    2002: Superettan
    2003: Superettan
    2004: Superettan

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it they jumped divisions? Was that due to the SFA's restructuring back when?