Allie Long

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by ppierce34, Jul 8, 2019.

1. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Kinda bothered me during this World Cup. She really only made the team b/c she's best friends with Alex Morgan lets be honest. She played a total of 5 minutes and received a yellow card for her efforts yet spent the entire World Cup mugging for the camera, making sure she was in every Instagram post and being utterly ridiculous. Not to mention that she dropped the American Flag in order to make sure she was in a photo-op with Rapinoe and Morgan after the game.

Tracer repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe she was a potential Julie Ertz replacement. Although, I personally think there were better options than her. I would have preferred M. Zerboni to have been on the WWC roster.

4. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Is the team divided into two groups or something? just the impression I got from "stalking" US players instagrams after the WC win :whistling:

5. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really didn't like her on the roster either. I don't think she can cover for Ertz. I'd use Horan, Brian before her. I'd rather A. Sullivan have been on the roster. I think that she will eventually be the Ertz replacement down the road. Or should be.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I guess i'm just different. She shouldnt have been on the team and played no part in them winning the World Cup. If that were me i'd be a little more humble and reserved in my celebration. Not trying to dominate social media with photos, videos, posts etc...

MiLLeNNiuM and Glove Stinks repped this.
  7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long's rubbed me the wrong way for years. Whining about not receiving call-ups after a poor NWSL season, being an insufferable jerk towards those who dare criticize her play, publicly throwing Naeher under the bus after the disaster against France in Shiba 2 years ago, taking roster spots in both the Olympics and the WC from players who are just better than she is, and sucking up to certain players just because of who they are. Her attitude is repugnant and I hope she's one of the first players cut after the victory tour.

The few minutes she got against Chile were the final straw. All she did was pass backwards and she nearly got herself sent off. No, thank you.

8. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yep 5 minutes and one yellow card. Those were her stats for the WC.

Other than the fact that she is best friends with Alex Morgan, why does she keep making these teams? I honestly have to think its just to keep Alex happy and in the right frame of mind on the road. There is literally no other reason.

Answered my own question. Even she admits she made it due to her relationships with other players.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/st...orld-cup-roster-after-challenging-year-051119

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  9. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    She looks like my sister’s barbie doll

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no room for tag-alongs on an 18 player roster, fortunately. I am hopeful that she's going to be a casualty of the decreased roster limit for Tokyo (if we qualify). I don't even want her as an alternate. Those spots should go to younger players who would benefit from the experience.

And for the record, I don't think Long's a terrible player. She's perfectly okay for the Reign. But just okay at the club level isn't good enough for the #1 team in the world.

11. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Who would you cut from this squad going into the OG?

12. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Long, Krieger, Brian, Lloyd (cut or retire), McDonald. Rapinoe gives up starting duties to Press.

Namdynamo and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooof. That's a tough question.

There are only 2 keeper spots available, so cut Harris and bring in Casey Murphy as either the backup or an alternate. Murphy's been playing well for the Reign this season, and she deserves another look.

Next would be Krieger. She was serviceable as a backup, but I don't want a defender in their mid-30's around if they aren't able to prove they're starter material.

This one hurts me, because I'm a fan of McDonald, but I'd cut her as well. Just too many forwards and not enough spots.

Long is an easy choice. Offers nothing positive on the field.

The last one is HARD. Probably Sonnett.

Namdynamo and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the 5 has to be a keeper. There are only two keeper spots available.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States