Allez Les Verts! St. Etienne Action Thread 05-06 [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by quentinc, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

So, SportBoy333, care to comment again on Les Verts quality???

St-Etienne 2
    Marseille 1

What a rocket from Hellebuyck!!! With Feindouno back in the starting eleven, Les Verts are quite a different team.

2. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Dude, what an incredible strike from Hellebuyck. Really, what a great game. Great play from Marseille as well, you can't fault them at all.

My assesment:

Janot is incredible. That goal wasn't really his fault, and he made some amazing saves. That guy is going to be one of the best GK's in Europe before he's done.

The back line did well, but looked a little shaky at times. Diawara did great on the right, but Ilyunga seemed fallible at times, although his job wasn't exactly easy.

Great play from the midfield, as usual. They all do an excellent job on both ends of the pitch, and Hellebuyck (obviously), is a great scoring threat. Perrin also did well when he came on, and it was his back heel that set up the decisive goal.

I thought Mazure was our worst player on the pitch, personally. Feinduono is an amazingly dynamic player, and I'm amazed at his heading ability, given his size. I wish Piquionne was in the center more often, however, as it seemed that he was the initiator of many crosses from the right side. His presence is so imposing in the middle, which is where he should be.

Still, incredible win. Definitely the momentum boost we needed.

3. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    congrats on the win, two beautiful strikes and tremendous saves from janot, what a performance!

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Let me ask you guys a question. How devistating of a loss would it be if you lost Zakora next year ? We already know ManUtd. is very interested and if they make an offer you know the player is gonna want to go.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    sainté is very good at digging up players in foreign climes. and c'mon, zokora's not irreplaceable. my guess is they'll sell him to MU, replace him for almost free and giggle themselves to sleep that night.

6. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

A few months ago, I would have been devastated.

Now, after some lukewarm performances and with Perrin's emergence, I say sell him before his value plummets.

He's playing sometimes like he's already gone, which I guess is normal when the big boys sirens come signing...

7. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    1-0 victory over lowly Strasbourg (Gomis goal), puts us in the final CL spot, temporarily ahead of PSG, who play tommorow :)

8. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    Strasbourg isn't "lowly". What we do, in fact, in conceptual soccer.

Let's face it : in the field of postmodern sports experience, such things as "running", "passing", "attacking" or "scoring goals" are utterly antiquated concepts. Our world-wide, globalized civilisation requires brand new ways for expressing its relationship with nothingness and oblivion. That's where true artists (like the Strasbourg's players) show themselves and choose to bravely face the frightfull absurdity of our contemporary lives.

This is not mere "soccer", this is avant-garde.

By the way, this Gomis kid is good.

9. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, but Rennes invented alternate soccer before you guys...Now it just seems that the passion of performance also corrupts their artistic endeavour...

10. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Well, we are now in third legititmately, after the PSG loss, and we're only a point behind Bordeaux. But we have a big match this weekend against Auxerre. If we win this, we're serious contenders for the CL.

11. Kevin Alexander

May 27, 2004
    America's Dairyland
    ASSE-1 :: 1-Auxerre

What does a tie do for the team, CL-wise?

12. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    It all depends on how PSG do versus Monaco tommorow.

If PSG win, they go ahead of us by two points.

If PSG draw, we'll be in third place solely on goal differential.

If PSG lose, we're still in third, three points behind Bordeaux (who won today), 12 points behind Lyon, and one point ahead of Auxerre and PSG.

Not a bad result today. As long as we keep pace with teams like Auxerre and PSG, we'll be fine. And I don't anticapate Bordeaux slipping out of our reach with our current form.

13. Kevin Alexander

May 27, 2004
    America's Dairyland
    Thanks for the info!

14. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Lost 1-0 to Monaco. I was hoping for at least a draw, but this isn't a major setback, and it sounds like we gave them a fight. We now sit in fourth, two points behind Auxerre.

15. SUPERAJAX

SUPERAJAX New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Westland
    Allez les Verts qui pisse en l'air.

[​IMG]

16. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Massive, massive match v Bordeaux this week. A win would put us level on points with them, and we'd actually be ahead on GD.

I'm pissed that it's not on FSC, since this is the premier matchup of the week. Instead, they've got that Marseille-Monaco ******** on. Anyone know a way I can see this in the US (Internet is fine)?

17. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, but Marseille Monaco will be pretty good too.

18. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I know, and there's probably a larger US fan base for both of those clubs, but I'm just biased;)

19. AFC AJAX 425

AFC AJAX 425 New Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Westland
    Allez les Verts, qui pisse en láir! :D

[​IMG]

20. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
  21. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Ilunga!!!!! 2nd minute

22. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Bordeaux are apparently pushing forward, but the defense holds strong.

23. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Piquionne got in a mix-up with Rame and had to be subbed off for Gomis.

And then Faubert puts one through right after that in the 75th:(

24. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Apparently the goal was due to a lapse in the defense. Bordeaux got a corner right after that, but luckily we turned it away.

25. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Faubert is off with ten minutes to go.