All Time overrated Player´s

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by LaPulga22, Jul 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaPulga22

LaPulga22 Member

Messi FC
    Argentina
    Mar 10, 2023
    which Player´s do u think are overrated by the Football Community.?

2 Player´s that are overrated for me based on how high many People rank them in all time lists.

Maradona: imo the most overrated Player... despite being one of the very best Player´s on the Ball he does not deserve to be in the same conversation as Pele, Messi, Cristiano, Beckenbauer, Cruyff.....Reasons are....limited big game catalogue, Club Career not that good compared to the Player´s i mentioned (even with the Napoli Context), and his International Career outside of 1986 WC is overrated. People put him top 3 i think he is at the lower end of top 10.

Ronaldo Nazario: Again COMPARED to other great Player´s his Club Career is laughable...His Career is severly held back by injuries which impacted his Ability, Perfomances and Longevity. Also his International campaigns were not good enough to make up for his underwhelming Club Career.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Your word, not mine.

For me, the way Maradona could make a football talk and dance and the influence he had on his teammates, especially during the mid-80s, can never be overstated.
    I often feel sorry for those who were not around at the time to appreciate his genius. Watching videos in hindsight simply does not do the player justice.
    That is all.

Excape Goat, SayWhatIWant and Leozinho repped this.
  3. LaPulga22

LaPulga22 Member

Messi FC
    Argentina
    Mar 10, 2023
    This is why I said on the Ball one of the very best.But he is lacking in his Club Career , International Career.....

and his Big Game Catalogue---> where Player's like Messi , Pele, CR7, Gerd Müller completely murder him.

4. Leozinho

Leozinho Member

Olympique Marseille
    France
    Jun 14, 2023
    Brazil
    You think too much about football in statistics.

5. NeuerGOAT

NeuerGOAT Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 18, 2023
    Today after the world cup Messi has been the most overrated player. People are saying he surpassed Pele just because he won a world cup. Pele won it by 18 years old destroying in the knock outs. After he won 2 more. At Santos he were equally dominant if not more than Messi at Barcelona.

Excape Goat, unclesox and SayWhatIWant repped this.
  6. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    De Bruyne, Messi, Xavi, Lewandowski, VanDijk

7. NeuerGOAT

NeuerGOAT Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 18, 2023
    Why exactly do you think Lewandowski is overrated?

8. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Least overrated of the ones I mentioned. Objectively, probably not overrated. But just not a striker to my taste. I prefer more versatility / creativity. But perhaps, listing him here was overharsh now that I think of it.

9. NeuerGOAT

NeuerGOAT Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 18, 2023
    I think Lewandowski actually is underrated. Most people think he's just a poacher. All the non scoring aspects of his game are underrated

carlito86 repped this.
  10. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Only one player on that list is truly overrated

11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think lewandowski with the big game goals of gerd Muller would be perceived as a better player as gerd Muller

Outside of goals I think lewa edges gerd Muller(even though Muller has a healthy number of assists )
    I've seen enough of lewa to know his link up play and creativity was of a higher calibre as the German

Including goals there isn't much in it IMO

Gerd Muller did score on the greatest stages of football so I think his superiority comes from this angle alone

Even so I still don't think there is so much in it

I mention gerd Muller because he is considered by many here to be the number 1 C.F. in history

When you strip it down all that separates bayern Muller from bayern lewandowski is few important goals

Im not sure how lewandowski would be able to replicate Muller Germany achievements with Poland
    This can't be held against him

If lewandowski with Poland replicated gerd Mullers achievements with Germany he would even be a better player than Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi

Isaías Silva Serafim repped this.
  12. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    #12 ffff15, Jul 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    Garrincha,R9,Zidane,Ronaldinho,Ramos, Lewa,CR7,Neymar,T Muller،Puskas
    Some of my explanations:
    1-CR7: I believe he is one of the top 6 7 best players in history, but he is overrated for sure.
    2- Puskas: he wasn't overrated in his time, but now he is overrated due to his statistics and "Puskas" award, top 10 for sure but not GOAT level.
    3-R9: overrated big game and world cup performer
    4-Lewa: not good in big games
    5-Zidane and Ronaldinho: aesthetic and unique technique
    6-Garrincha: World Cup 1962, his playing style was only good for his time

13. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    G Muller had Phenomenal ball control and his link-up play was great.
    His IQ, finishing and off the ball movements clears lewa

14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What is gerd Mullers best performance demonstrating these above qualities?

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Besides Cristiano where do these other players rank in your estimation

garrincha Is commonly ranked top 15 of all time
    Is he worthy of that?

Zidane is commonly ranked top 10 all time
    Is he worthy of that?

Would be interesting to know which side of the fence you sit

Cristiano being top 6 according to you and then being 'overrated' as top 3 is not that huge of a deal IMO
    Surely there are bigger injustices then this?

16. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    For me Lewandowski and Halaand are a similar profile of striker. They are the modern breed of striker par excellence

17. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    De Bruyne - English media and some circles will have you think he is the greatest midfielder we have ever seen. I do not rank him about the Gerrard's, Scholes and he is definitely worse than Bergkamp, Nedved or more recently Modric. Never impressed with Belgium and his recent attitude / comments at the WC are not worthy of a sportsman / champion.

Xavi - the all-time system player. His career is relevant for the few years all the stars aligned. I think most elite CMs could have replicated the same success under the same conditions. Lack of versatility. Less capable than Iniesta.

Messi - self explanatory. The one player I have ever seen that can do no wrong and everything he does is right. For his fanboys he has bee the greatest at everything since at least 2010, Wc ot no WC it never changed the discourse.

Van Dijk - does this need a paragraph? Another byproduct of english media

18. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think Van dijk is the only name here that sticks out like a sore thumb

The rest at the very least are amongst the best ever in their respective positions (even De Bruyne)

19. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    Garrincha top 20, Zidane top 10 11

20. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    I named great players, but the title is overrated...
    You have guys saying diego, cristiano, r9, zidane...
    These are the LEAST egregious choices

21. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #21 carlito86, Jul 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    From the 1000s of players to have ever played it is stupid to say a lock top 20 all timer is overrated
    At least that much I agree with

You can maybe say he is relatively overrated

I personally don’t agree zidane is a top 10 all timer and I have my reasons for putting him significantly lower than that
    So whether you agree with me or not the fact I would consider him overrated is not a strange thing

It’s not like I’m saying zidane definitely is a top 10 all timer and he is simultaneously overrated
    That wouldn’t make sense

@ffff15 says he acknowledges cristiano is a top 7 all timer but he still puts him as his number 1 overrated player ever

It would be better if he said Cristiano is considered a top 7 all timer but in ‘reality’ he is much lower for this and this reason
    That would make more sense

A player someone acknowledges as a top 10 all timer can’t be overrated

Sexy Beast and LaPulga22 repped this.
  22. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    I think you don't know the definition of overrated

23. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    I didn't put Cristiano as my number 1 overrated player ever
    that numbers mean nothing

24. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I definitely do

He is much closer to being correctly rated then overrated

There are not many who put cristiano as the number 1 player of all time
    Generally he is 3rd to 5th

You say 6th(or 7th on one of your bad days)

So how on earth can he be the most overrated player ever?

It is better to say cristiano is NOT even a top 20 all timer for this and this reason BUT people say he is top 3

That is still dumb but I respect that even more

25. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Subconsciously you naming him first is really telling