All Time Leading Scorers

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by iChristoph, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Great job, keep it up. Although in general, avoid using Wikipedia as the source since you'll have to double check everything (take it from an avid Wikipedia editor).

Found this list from the FIGC for Italian internationals: http://www.figc.it/nazionali/Marcatori?squadra=13&mode=
    click on each player name to get detail of each goal. There is also other interesting info on the site.

According to them Vignotto scored 97 goals and Morace 94 so I have updated the table accordingly.

Also according to http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/09/lisa-evans-scotland-julie-fleeting Julie Fleeting has scored 116 goals so she is right behind the top 5.

Code:
    1. Mia Hamm		USA	158
    2. Kristine Lilly	USA	130
    3. Birgit Prinz		GER     128
    4. Abby Wambach		USA	125
    5. Christine Sinclair	CAN	117
    6. Julie Fleeting	SCO	[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]116[/B][/COLOR]
    7. Sun Wen              CHN     106
    8. Michelle Akers	USA	105
    9. Han Duan		CHN	101
    10. Tiffeny Milbrett	USA	100
    [COLOR="Red"][B]11. Elisabetta Vignotto	ITA	 97[/B]
    [B]12. Carolina Morace	ITA	 94[/B][/COLOR]
    13. Heidi Mohr	        GER	 83
    14. Marinette Pichon	FRA	 82
    15. Marta	        BRA	 80
        Homare Sawa	        JPN	 80
    17. Cindy Parlow	USA	 75
    18. Hanna Ljungberg	SWE	 72
    19. Pia Sundhage	SWE	 71
        Lena Videkull 	SWE	 71
        Charmaine Hooper	CAN	 71

Also since, there's been a lot of mentioning of it I am also researching the goals per match ratio statistics. Some preliminary numbers found so far are:
    Code:
    Player				Matches	Goals	GPM
    Marta			BRA	72	80	1.11
    Elisabetta Vignotto	ITA	95	97	1.02
    Julie Fleeting	        SCO	120	116	0.97
    Kátia			BRA	32	27	0.84
    Abby Wambach		USA	165	125	0.76
    Carolina Morace		ITA	135	94	0.70
    Cristiane		BRA	45	31	0.69

2. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Nothing to do with hi-scorers, but nowhere else to post this. I had seen pieces of this video before, but here is the full 45-60 mins.

Did not know Kelly S has such troubles in the past. The African scenes are amazing.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Going on with my lonely work, calculating club goals and adding them up... :p

A japanese friend told me that apparently Sawa by now just scored 3 goals in this season in the Nadeshiko L-league, although her club, INAC Kobe Leonessa, is utterly dominating the tournament, with 10 wins and one tie on 11 games already played (and 38 goals scored: Sawa's team scores more than 3 goals average every game).
    (http://match.nadeshikoleague.jp/2011/nadeshiko/match/standings.html)

I found some interesting link about old american WUSA league (2001-2003): by this source, it seems that when Sawa was playing with Atlanta Beat, she scored 3 goals in the 2001 season (21 matches in the regular season + 2 play-off matches for a total of 23 games; there is no way I can know if she really played all the games, but she was a regular first-string player anyway), then she scored 7 goals in 2002 (21 regolar season + 1 play-off = 22), and 3 again in 2003 (21 + 2 =23). So 13 goals total in 68 matches over 3 years. I hope I counted well all the goals (because I had to read all the score tables of all 68 matches) and, since the source didn't have the starting team of each match, there is no way to know how many of these games Sawa really played, except the ones where she scored.
    By the way: I guess my sources could be interesting if anyone wants to calculate the WUSA scoring for all the american players, or the foreign players who were playing in USA; the score tables are complete, and the WUSA data are often the ones missing from most other sources:
    http://www.rsssf.com/tablesu/usa-wom01.html
    http://www.rsssf.com/tablesu/usa-wom02.html
    http://www.rsssf.com/tablesu/usa-wom03.html

Unluckily, I can't seem to find any data about seasons 1999 and 2000. According to most sources, Sawa was then already playing in USA, for Denver Diamonds and then for Atlanta Beat, but, since there was no women's pro-league, I can't find any source gathering complete data, except some sources with final rankings of some kind of W-1 league tournament.

Anyway, if I add the 13 WUSA's goals of 2001-2003 and the 3 Nadeshiko L-league goals of the current season to the 205 previous record (admittedly I still didn't check everyone of these last goals, but for the moment let's admit they're all legitimate), we get a total of 221 goals. Since I don't know about any international club competition in Asia or North America, this should be the career total of Homare Sawa in senior official matches, barring some possible national cup that I don't know anything about and the above-mentioned "data-black-out" of seasons 1999 and 2000.

The matches count (still, except 1999-2000 missing data) should be about 471 official matches (consider that this is for sure a lot less exact than the goal count, for the reason stated above: I have no way to know how many WUSA matches Sawa really played; this result assumes that she played them all, but this assumption is probably false). So 221 goals on 471 matches gives a goals-per-matches ratio of 0.469, that maybe doesn't look like anything special, but remember that Sawa is a midfielder, more specialized in winning assists than in goals.

So, admittedly with some bad flaws in our data, we could approximately say: grand total of goals in career for Homare Sawa: 221 in 471 matches (0.469 ratio).

Now I say: I guess everyone of us should have a favourite player, between the top 20 we found in this thread. If anyone would try to do the job I did for Sawa for his own favourite player, I guess we could gather some serious data! :D

4. PPZoe

PPZoe New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    I can't see this being the case as the Isle of Man does not have an international team and their FA is just a member of The FA. It would be a training game and no one would consider the goals any more official as goals scored in closed door scrimmages or international vs college teams. Do you have a list of her goals?

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Since I am Italian, I confronted some (scarce) italian sources: I confirm that goals with National Team for Betty Vignotto and Carolina Morace should be, respectively, 97 in 95 matches for Vignotto and 94 in 135 matches for Morace (although other sources say 105 goals in 153 matches for her; I vaguely remember from my youth some kind of controversy about the goal she scored, but FIGC [italian official federation] sources seem to say 94).

As for the goals for clubs, Vignotto played for 21 seasons in the italian serie A femminile (the first division league for women), in 10 different clubs, and she scored a total of 467 goals in 451 matches (1,03 ratio), being 5 times the top scorer of Serie A.
    If we add up goals with NT and goals with clubs, we get 564 goals in 546 matches (still 1,03 ratio).

Carolina Morace played for 17 seasons in 6 different clubs, and she should have scored 382 goals in 464 matches (0,82 ratio) (I say "she should" because data for Morace seems quite shaky, despite the fact she is a more recent player: some sources even credit her more than 500 goals with clubs); she was 12 times the top scorer of serie A (11 of them consecutive).
    So,total goals, according to the apparently best sources: 476 in 599 matches (0,79 ratio).

(Most data are said to come from the good authority of a complete Women Football yearbook published in Italy)

A warning: not only some of Morace's data don't seem totally convincing (especially in the years when she played for S.S. Lazio, her ratio seemed to be anormally low on some seasons), but both Vignotto and Morace played a lot of official games in the Coppa Italia competition (italian national cup, a quite important yearly tournament) and they likely also played matches in some UEFA competition for clubs (UEFA cup or maybe even Champions league for Morace): I've got absolutely no data about these matches, so their total goals in career in senior official matches is probably higher than the above-mentioned numbers.

1 person likes this.
  6. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marie-Laure Delie has been scoring almost a goal per match for France, and most of that time she was playing about 30 minutes per match as a substitute. If she doesn't make the top 10 in the next five years, she will probably be close.

7. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was at the First Celtic Cup in 2000, a small tournament with Ireland and Northern Ireland competing as well. I can't find a complete list of her goals, but she's only scored 20 since the beginning of 2007. The rest had to have come from somewhere.

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, with all the buzz about Player of the Year nominations, this thread dried out a little... :rolleyes:

I chime in just to say that another goal (with club) has to be added now to Sawa's résumé. :D

She scored at 89' with her team, INAC Kobe Leonessa, in an important match against Urawa Red Ladies. The tie keeps Sawa's team at the lead of Nadeshiko league rankings, keeping NTV Beleza pursuers at bay.

9. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Table updated thru 2012 CONCACAF Olympic qualifying. Wambach and Sinclair climb to 2nd and 4th place respectively. Added Maribel Domínguez.
    Code:
    1. Mia Hamm		USA	158
    2. [B]Abby Wambach[/B]		USA	[B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]131[/COLOR][/B]
    3. Kristine Lilly	USA	130
    4. [B]Christine Sinclair[/B]	CAN	[B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]129[/COLOR][/B]
    5. Birgit Prinz		GER     128
    6. Julie Fleeting	SCO	116
    9. Han Duan		CHN	101
    11. Elisabetta Vignotto	ITA	 97
    12. Carolina Morace	ITA	 94
    17. Cindy Parlow	USA	 75
    19. Pia Sundhage	SWE	 71
        Lena Videkull 	SWE	 71
        Charmaine Hooper	CAN	 71
        [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Maribel Domínguez[/B][/COLOR]   MEX      71

1 person likes this.
  10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was great! Let me note as an aside that four players on the list have played for the Washington Freedom. ;) I don't think any other team can claim more than two.

For the next update, you might consider noting the ones who are still active.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Marta, Sinclair, and Milbrett played together for FC Gold Pride only one year ago, of course.

And since the league appears to have entered history, the 2001 WUSA Atlanta Beat had Sun Wen, Cindy Parlow, Homare Sawa, and Charmaine Hooper on the same roster. Two years later Sun Wen was gone but Maribel Domínguez was added.

So that's 5 and I haven't even really started looking.....

12. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Table updated thru 2012 Algarve Cup and Cyprus Cup tournaments where Wambach netted 3 and Sinclair 2 respectively. Sinclair is now in third place, having surpassed Kristine Lilly's total.

As prior, If anyone knows of missing or incorrect information, please comment.

Code:
    1. Mia Hamm		USA	158
    2. [B]Abby Wambach[/B]		USA	[B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]134[/COLOR][/B]
    3. [B]Christine Sinclair[/B]	CAN	[B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]131[/COLOR][/B]
    4. Kristine Lilly	USA	130
    9. Han Duan		CHN	101
    17. Cindy Parlow	USA	 75
    19. Pia Sundhage	SWE	 71
        Lena Videkull 	SWE	 71
        Charmaine Hooper	CAN	 71
        Maribel Domínguez   MEX      71

13. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Sinclair now has 133...

14. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This hasn't been updated in ages on Wiki.

2009– France 36 (33)

She had 1 against Denmark and Canada for sure, has to be closing in on 40.

Lets not forget about Morgan. They'll get her 100 if they have to drug opponents back lines. :D

15. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Thank you kindly, I missed that game. I also see that Brazil's goal was Marta's 81st. http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=133269566273097500

BTW what's a good source for keeping track of results and upcoming international matches?

Table updated thru March 25, 2012 match between Canada & Brazil
    As prior, If anyone knows of missing or incorrect information, please comment.
    Code:
    1. Mia Hamm		USA	158
    2. Abby Wambach		USA	134
    3. [B]Christine Sinclair[/B]	CAN	[B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]133[/COLOR][/B]
    9. Han Duan		CHN	101
    15. [B]Marta	        [/B]BRA	 [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]81[/COLOR][/B]
    17. Cindy Parlow	USA	 75
    19. Pia Sundhage	SWE	 71
        Lena Videkull 	SWE	 71
        Charmaine Hooper	CAN	 71

16. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Not exactly sure whom you're referring to when you say THEY'LL. If by "they" you mean Nike, then I guess it was Nike who turned Michael Jordan into a mega star. Heck, based on your philosophy....without Nike, Jordan would've won zero championships and averaged 5 points a game. If by "they" you mean the referees then I fail to see what calls they've made to allow Morgan to succeed. She was clearly fouled twice in the penalty area during the Norway and Japan games during the Algrave cup, but there were no calls from the refs. The goal she scored against New Zealand was clearly in since the goalie was standing sideways inside the goal while the ball was at her chest!

On the other hand, I was left in disbelief when during the world cup Marta was clearly beaten to the ball by the defender. However, she proceeded to push the defender from behind in front of of the linesmen and then proceed to score. If anything, Marta is the one that gets all the calls from the refs.

As far as Delie is concerned, it must be nice to score most of your goals against Estonia, Belgium and Nothern Ireland. Heck, even A-Rod would tally that many goals against these teams!

17. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/results/index.html

18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well you can only score against team you play against. I believe she has a good record with 18 starts in 36 games. I mean for someone who started in Sept 2009 that not bad. The team she scored against are :

CRO EST 4 IRL NIR 2 CRO SER NZL 3 SCO 3 BEL 5 NIG GER ISR IRL WAL URU MEX 2 HOL SWI ENG CAN

19. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nothing personal against Delie, but I was trying to make a point to newsouth. In contrast, Morgan has only started 8 games for the US and scored 11 times. But based on newsouth's bias towards her those 8 starts have been turned into a one sided cap show! :)

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Did you credit Marta for a goal in the Canada game?

Initial reports ( and the written CNT report still up) had her scoring on a PK with 12 ( or 2) min. Left, but that was not the case.

Gabrielle Demoisé converted the PK for Brasil, as YouTube video On the CNT site clearly shows.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3CXq6Iz57ak

21. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    You are right, I looked up the video and it was Gabi Zanotti (Gabriela Zanotti Demoner), not Marta. Thank you for the correction. Reverted Marta back to 80.
    Code:
    1. Mia Hamm		USA	158
    2. Abby Wambach		USA	134
    3. Christine Sinclair	CAN	133
    9. Han Duan		CHN	101
    17. Cindy Parlow	USA	 75
    19. Pia Sundhage	SWE	 71
        Lena Videkull 	SWE	 71
        Charmaine Hooper	CAN	 71

22. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I realized that in the table there isn't the italian Patrizia Panico; according to wikipedia (link in italian: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrizia_Panico) she scored 83 goals with the NT as of September 2010 (see the part "cronologia delle presenze e delle reti in nazionale").
    The TV-reporter of the match against Bosnia underlined that yesterday she scored the 90th and 91th goal for the NT, but I didn't find anything official about that :confused:

23. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Thank you and yes, I do see the detail of goals in the wiki article, as well as a reference to her reaching 91 goals here: http://matanotizie.blogspot.com/2012/03/nazionale-italiana-femminile-di-calcio.html. Her personal website says "circa 80" but it might be outdated. Rather scarce info for such a prolific player, but she appears to be up there.

Added her to the list at 91 with a "?" until goal total is confirmed.

Code:
    1. Mia Hamm		USA	158
    2. Abby Wambach		USA	134
    3. Christine Sinclair	CAN	133
    9. Han Duan		CHN	101
    [B][COLOR="Red"]13. Patrizia Panico     ITA      91 ?[/COLOR][/B]
    14. Heidi Mohr	        GER	 83
    15. Marinette Pichon	FRA	 82
    16. Marta	        BRA	 80
    18. Cindy Parlow	USA	 75
    19. Hanna Ljungberg	SWE	 72
    20. Pia Sundhage	SWE	 71
        Lena Videkull 	SWE	 71
        Charmaine Hooper	CAN	 71

24. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Bump. I would love to update this list, but I'm a bit busy ATM. Who would like to help?

25. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can help you with Patrizia Panico: according to her website, now her scoring record is 97, according to her wikipedia page is 96. I couldn't find official figures in the Italian Football Federation websites, but I think that those two are sources to rely on... :cautious: