All-Time Greatest Players In Ten Category

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Dearman, Mar 19, 2012.

1. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fantastic list, but where are Paulino Alcantara and Pichichi ?

2. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    When I look at Alcantara's body, it is hard to believe he could be considered in all-time greates. He is too slim, his shoulder is very narrow. I don't think he could play for Thailand national team in this era. The scoring stats was done in Spanish amateur league and its standard was far difference from the profesional status in the 1930s. Pichichi also did the closed ratio of goal in the amateuer era to Alcantara.

3. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is it a my error or in your list isn't there Steve Bloomer ?

4. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    dearman if you have amongst you're 50 best evr goalkeepers the likes of zubizaretta, harald schumacher, kopke, ravelli and several others and no jan van beveren then you're knowledge on goalkeeprs isn't complete.

talk to several dutch people who where old enough tho have seem him adn they will say he was better then van der sar.
    so you have van der sar at 20 that means jan van beveren belongs in the top 20.

and in my honest believes he ransk amongst the 10 best goalkeepers ever. his reflexes where so amazing such a stylish goalie he was amazing.

FURHTERMORE THE MOST IMPORTANT ERROR YOU MADE was that you had cental defenders in 1 categorie. the footballing sweeper like players (beckenbauer, krol, scirea
    and the manmarker types like kohler and gentile those 2 cannot be compared and should be seperate categories imo.

wingers including player slike housemann and litbarski and no dutch sjaak swart ?? best right winger dutch ever had way better then rep only rep was famous for playign 2 wc on swart just finished his career by then.
    but swart was to litbarski and housemann what messi is to van der vaart. the first is extremely good the last one is jsut good but nothign special

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yeah I kinda agree with you on some points there in bold.

1- GK:
    Van Beveren was a very skillful GK and often got under rated (or forgotten). He was an inspiration to Van der Vaart another greta Netherland GK. He was so unfortunate to not be part of the WC74 and 78 team! He DESERVED in the TOP100 GK surely

2- CB:
    I would not call it an "Error" but rather a "Common Mistake" due to lacking of watching some players playing live!
    - Kohler was a CB alright, but not in the mould of a "libero" type in Beckenbauer. Krol or Scirea. He was more like a Canavaro/Terry type
    - Gentille: Once again, GENTILLE WAS A RIGHT BACK (80% as RB in 4 3 1 2 Juventus 78-84) only 20% as a side DF in a 4 1 4 1 or 5 3 2 catenacio of Italy team at WC level). Here most people only watched Gentille in Italy shirt would have THOUGHT he was a CB.

Juventus 78-84 (4 3 1 2 or 4 1 3 1 1)

------------------ D.Zoff ----------------
    ----------- Scirea -------- Brio -----------
    Gentille -------------------------Cabrini
    ------------------Tardelli-----------------
    -- Boniek -------Platini -------- Prandelli
    -------------------------Begetta
    ----------- Rossi ------------------------

A most starting XI Italy NT (80-82). ONLY in the final Italy played 5 3 2 with Bergomi as RB)

------------------D. Zoff -------------------
    --------- Colovati ------- Scirea -----------
    Gentille--------------------------Cabrini
    --------- Tardelli ----- Oriali -----------
    B.Conti --------------------------Antogoni
    -----------------------Graziani------------
    --------- Rossi ----------------------------

3- Winger:
    Rep was a FORWARD, not a winger in any sense. His style was just like Van Persie at Arsenal (Henry time), a forward on the right who often shifted into the box for scoring chances.

6. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    agreed on the johnny rep part. as for gentile i know he played mostly rightback but imo he was such a compelte defender and i think he is better at centrback/ manmarker then as rightback.
    so i rate him amongst the best centreback/manmarker players ever.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yes he did very good in CB ... but just a few years (82-84) and in some games (not a full time CB though), even so I agree he was comfortable at both positions

1- First, this is confirmed that Gentille was a very complete DF (two footed and can play anywhere):

Giovanni Trappatoni took over the reins of the Old Lady in 1976 and was convinced of Gentile’s abilities right away. Trap employed Gentile in the left-back position in spite of him being naturally right-footed. Gentile had no problem adapting as he became adept with his left foot as well. Few years later, Antonio Cabrini was introduced into the Juventus squad. Cabrini took over the left-back spot and Gentile slotted into the right-back position with utmost ease. In those days, full-backs did not assume much attacking duties and used to mark the players entering their zone. Even then, Gentile would sometimes venture forward to successfully take part in attack. He played in that position for several years before shifting to center-back position where he truly shone

2- Look at this link, Gentille was voted as the best RIGHT BACK in Juve dream team all time:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ms-juventus-1671920.html?action=gallery&ino=2
    CLAUDIO GENTILE
    Right-back
    Juventus 1973-1984; Serie A appearances 283, 9 goals
    They say opposites attract and the Juventus defensive pairing of Gaetano Scirea and Libyan-born Claudio Gentile during the 1970s and '80s provides perfect evidence of that truism. Scirea played with calm authority, while Gentile spent his career shaking off a surname laced with irony

8. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Thanks you for paying attention on this list and sorry for late reply.

I also heard from dutch people who suggestd me in former socceropluse.com that Van Beveren is the most talent Dutch goalkeeper in the history but his confliction to Joihan Cruyff led his road in national team is impeded and won a few caps as a result. Let me clarify how this ranking are stem from. I just rate player base on cumulative performance and how much players have done in the history. There are so many talent players got the problem like Van Beveren, did not have opportunity enough to prove thier talent in high standard of competition stage. I conclude that Van Der Sar take advantage for his consistency of performance in high level standard of competition.

Surely Sweeper and Stopper is responsible for different functional play but the fact that they're still similar in overall role of defensive. I believe I may establish more than 15 positions if rank base on fuctional play and that is too many for me.

sjaak swart ? This is surely interesting when at least look at his statistics of goals. Let me spend some time to keep details and analysis before re-rank his place in history if need. Puckvanheel, may you contribute me about his status (is he the best Ducth right-winger ever in your opinion also ?)