All-Time European Draft

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by La-Máquina, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Steller

Steller Member

Sep 21, 2015
    ''If a player played for both a European country and a non-European country he will be an eligible pick if he won more caps for the European country''

Is Jose Santamaria legit pick?

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Oh, damn sorry - I'm normally careful with these things but obviously hadn't read things closely enough (maybe with Shevchenko too even at the time?).

Thanks for the info though. I'll re-pick.

Steller repped this.
  3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I see babaorum likes my Carvalho pick lol (feel free to 'unlike' though)!

Sorry, after so many drafts I'm probably lazy with reading rules now. I hadn't actually expected Di Stefano to be eligible either originally (maybe I expected a 'first nation to represent' or even 'country born in' sort of rule to be in place) but that explains for example why Juan Schiaffino hasn't been picked (it's not just that he'd have been Italian and part of Pool A too).

4. Socrates82

Socrates82 Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Ah, someone already pointed it out. Yeah, I probably would have already picked Santamaria. Quality defender.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Poor mans Carvalho (or is it too late to claim that now lol?).

6. Socrates82

Socrates82 Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Haha you can claim it. Whether anyone believes you is another story ;)

7. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Oh I had Sanatamaria in mind when I repped you... I was stunned no one had picked him yet so I thought you made an absolutely brilliant pick at that stage. .. until I finally understood why no one had picked him until you did :p
    Carvalho is still a more than decent pick in that round of the game though.

PDG1978 repped this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Carvalho is the reason people think John terry is world class

He was an excellent defender at Chelsea and I had him in my list

Socrates82 repped this.
  9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Carvalho is good enough to be in this draft(even through he isn't a regular in our drafts). He was one of two defenders on my list of Portuguese players.

thebigman repped this.
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks (ex) team-mate. Most people know how high I rate Savicevic but I don't think I need to return the favour as he was already well received when you picked him haha!

thebigman repped this.
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just to confirm (as especially for non-English first language speakers or non-residents of England it might be less obvious than Karloski's Maradona joke) this was an attempt at humour. Not to say I think it would be a ridiculous comparison and in truth I would guess it's quite a hard one to make although I suspect they could be in each others ballpark in terms of what they brought to their teams defences. Santamaria is more of a bona fide legend though I'm sure; but I don't always think the older players are better by default lol.

The other options I had in Pool B (or switching to Pool C) for that slot were older (compared to Carvalho, not compared to Santamaria).

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Here is one for Bozsik I was already working on Excape Goat mate.

Actually he did get pre-assists far removed on the 3 goals not shown too, but it's meant to be his touches mainly so I didn't show the moves completing.

The left-half was said to drop back like a CB and concentrating on him and Bozsik (the right half) I'd say that's true to an extent although nominally they were still right and left half and tended initially (especially in defensive positions) to stick to their designated halves of the pitch, but then Bozsik did advance more often and acted like an anchor midfielder and deep-lying playmaker in general.

el cabezon, Excape Goat and La-Máquina repped this.
  13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thanks for the footage. He reminded me of Xavi or Gerson!

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No problem. Xavi/Busquets hybrid ish maybe? Actually at times dropping deeper than Xavi (and Busquets too maybe) of course but formations were different then with only one CB.

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    La-Maquina and el cabezon need goalkeepers, so after having a think about my last pick and deciding on it, I'll post it below so that it can be copied into the selection thread and the drating might get finished tonight.

16. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Round 11

Pool C

David Alaba (Austria)

[​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Alaba

Will bring athleticism, versatility and rounded ability to the team, filling the spot on the left side of defence whatever formation we are lining up with at a particular time.

babaorum repped this.
  18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    You can decide on your pick too Peru I suppose, as all the others need goalkeepers (as you can see from your own helpful chart anyway lol!).

Or you could wait as you'll have the last pick and will be awake for quite a while yet (unlike me)!

19. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Indeed, Edwards seems to be the ball-winner and Bozsik the deep-lying playmaker in that society.

I thought of Edwards at some point, but he's often a controversial choice because of his short career and how to adjust it to the general criterion (I'm not sure if this was detailed).

20. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Well, Excape Goat still needs a goalkeeper, but it's true that I'm free to choose because I miss a player from the Pool B and all of them have their 3. Actually, I'm in a dilemma because to keep my initial idea as to the functionality of the group I must complete my team with a left-back and for that I've in mind these candidates:
    • Joan Segarra (Spain)
    • Emlyn Hughes (England)
    • Rafael Gordillo (Spain)
    On the other hand, I could try to increase the luxury of the team and use Hanappi as left-back to enable an attacking spot. Then, I could go for any of these candidates:
    • Tom Finney (England)
    • Rob Rensenbrink (Netherlands)
    • Andrés Iniesta (Spain)
    One of them will be the last player chosen of the draft.

Excape Goat repped this.
  21. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If he is not known for playing left back (regardless of it saying "versatile player" in write ups) then its going to be difficult to sell it to people in the final tactics.

22. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Actually, I think it's something known that apart of his versatility he played as left-back during some stages of his career duly (by then it means being a left full-back in old terms), at least for what I read:
    But, yeah, it's probably a very high risk don't use him in his most recognized and ideal position as a type of hybrid between box-to-box and playmaker (similar to Nedved) and fits very well in the idea of my midfield.

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #198 Excape Goat, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    I have the same feeling about Edwards.

My draft position determined my selections:

For 7th and 8th round, I needed a defensive midfielder and a leftback.

I don't want to spend my Pool A picks yet. Sammer, Cannavaro, Gentile, Bergomi, Amoros, Forster, Kaltz, Trseor, Zambrotta, Costacurta, Schulz, Blanc, Janes, etc were all available. All the great keepers from Italy and Germany were undrafted. I had many options for my remaining positions: a rightback, a centerback and keeper. I looked at Pool C. I counted 8 good keepers available. I was too lazy to research on Hanappi or Voronin. Netto was taken right before my turn and he was not what I was looking for. So I decided to have a Pool C keeper and Pool A players for the centerback and the rightback.

I have to look at Pool B. I already took Gento so I can only take one Spanish player.
    My other options were Pirri, Pep and Xabi Alonso. Koeman was available, but I do not want to use him as a midfielder. There was also Germano. I was also looking at leftbacks, Camacho and Hapgood. Ashley Cole was taken earlier.

Pep and Xabi Alonso were not defensive enough. At the time, i was not sure about Bozsik as a deep lying playmaker. Now that I know..... i got lucked out for not drafting Pep or Xabi. Pirri, I felt, was a box-to-box midfielder. And I thought Edwards was also a box-to-box too. He was also more famous of the two in the English-speaking world. Then, I looked at Camacho and Hapgood. I took the younger of the two. That left Edwards as my only option.

All players I mentioned drafted and cannot be drafted by Peru PFC

Perú FC repped this.
  24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    All of those players crossed my own mind at some point towards the end of the draft, to potentially fill my own remaining slots.

But the full-backs group moreso from bottom up (Segarra only briefly came to mind to use at right back maybe if Ferrara had gone to the left as he did sometimes at Napoli including on one of the videos I showed, and according to DBS Calcio he had a season there playing pretty well anyway, though an earlier one than the video shows) and the left side midfield/attack group (though Finney maybe was even better from the right) from top down - I wondered about Finney before deciding to draft Banks and Dalglish (also Bergkamp came to mind for example as with Dalglish I could fit in with ba slight adjustment to how I thought I might be going which was expecting to take someone who could play from wider and cut in like Savicevic/B.Laudrup/Simonsen etc), while I'd had Rensenbrink before in a draft so only had him as a backup plan and Iniesta just briefly crossed my mind if I was to set out a 3-4-3 as only formation or something (as it is I might have it as one of 4 options!).

Hughes, along with Stuart Pearce was a possibility before I drafted Santamaria, err I mean Carvalho, and I had some Dutch options too. I felt Gordillo wouldn't let me play the 3-4-3 unless he was at left midfield maybe (maybe even making it flat instead of a diamond so he could be a wing-back) so that partly convinced me to use my final Pool B pick on a CB too, and was the same reason I took Alaba over a Jarni for example; I even wondered about drafting someone like Gudelj and using Ferrara on the left of the back 4 and then Carvalho as left CB/LB in a 3 for the 3-4-3 which I didn't want to give up on as I'd drafted Ferrara with it in mind!

I don't know in the end whether Banks/Alaba will be perceived better than say Frank De Boer/Van Tiggelen/Pearce/Hughes/Gordillo with no 3-4-3/Camacho if I'd taken him early-ish with a Hellstrom or Vladimir Beara or Ivo Viktor or Petr Cech or something (I suspect if Cech would go down well with anyone Alaba might do so well enough too though if you know what I mean). Before I took Sarosi, as well as possibly the likes of Albert/Hidegkuti (re: what I said about Dalglish/Bergkamp), Grosics could have been a Hungarian goalie option too but Banks (or Shilton) started to seem very feasible to get and I thought maybe I could wait a bit longer for Ceulemans.

I also don't know if Zidane/Shevchenko would score less well than say Rivera/Eusebio (I had so many great options for pick 2 still, and of course I could have taken two of them early but felt Neeskens was a very useful compromise between balance/chasing votes haha and making a team I liked and rated too rather than ditching my principles/preferences for an outright DM/destroyer late in the draft or being 'too open' as nomal lol. I have to check where Rivera was drafted anyway, and I assume I couldn't have got him unless leaving Zidane available would changed various picks early in the draft. Normally I could wait for Michael Laudrup but I also thought even if Excape Goat hadn't taken him I'd lose him if not taking with pick 1 or 2 this time due to draft rules. Anyway I don't think I had Zidane in any draft (or Banks, Ferrara, Sarosi, Neeskens despite attempts and Ceulemans who I did sort of plan to draft from the start probably although had second thoughts at one point with certain players still available but he does help me use all my formations well I think lol!). Me and thebigman had picked old-Carvalho and also Alaba in non-all-time drafts before (maybe my pick 11 was helped/influenced by our partnership a bit even, but I don't know if me previously taking Heintze in a PL-era draft influenced him at all - he was also in my mind for pick 11 this time though but again I wasn't sure about using him on the left of a back 3 even in formation 4 of 4 options).

Talking of needing to convince about old-time legends I need to dig out some quotes about Sarosi as a defender.

Good draft anyway!

Perú FC repped this.
  25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I might have mentioned players Peru can draft, but he did post a shortlist and does know them all anyway so it should be ok!