All things Pulisic (king of the hockey assist, master of the Hershey header).

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by lobomojo, Jan 17, 2019.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic did ok today[emoji23]

2. appwrangler

appwrangler Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    Got a nice soccer assist today.

Ninjatend0, Clan, lobomojo and 2 others repped this.
  3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Stuff I learned on Big Soccer Forums. Those who said that, given playing time, CP would demonstrate what a creator he is were wrong; instead, what happened was that he was not hungry enough until Frank made the genius move to bench him, which made him hungrier, which made him a better creator.

Also, the place where they faked the moon landing wasn't a soundstage after all. It was in Scotland.

4. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Step back, about to throw raw meat...

7 year old Pul seeing his dreams....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #180 StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Pulisic bbc news
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50197169
    Lampard may find it impossible to put him back on the bench now. Not that he will want to.

"I know the pressures of a move like that," said his Chelsea manager. "He only had a one-week break this summer [with the US in the Gold Cup]. I try to deal with it as I see best. I've got competition in that area. He's been performing well from the bench, he fully deserved to start and a match-winning performance.

"I hope it gives him confidence, it should do. I'm pretty sure it will do."

Pulisic as a goal scorer? 19 goals in 127 games for Dortmund and another 13 in 34 for his country. But it seems Frank see's him as a goal scorer. AND his first career hat-trick seems to suggest that also.

"He was an incredible goalscorer so we work on it a lot in training," said Pulisic on his manager.

6. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #181 StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 27, 2019
    Let us be clear Frank's 'man-management' of Pulisic has been great. No, Frank is not responsible for his talent or for his development thus far. Nobody is saying that. CP owns his talent. But CP is going to thrive under Frank and is in fact already doing so. THE first hat-trick of CP's career. Frank was a total professional as a player and he knows players and how to get the best out of them. In contrast the turd who is manager of the US team made Pulisic cry the other week. Seriously wtf? That is two contrasting 'man-management' styles, which one is clearly working and which one is totally fecking broken?

https://streamable.com/ne9su

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #182 Naughtius Maximus, Oct 27, 2019
    TBH this was something I never quite figured out... why people were saying he's not necessarily a goal scorer. Y'know, if you're a forward who's quick, has good balance and technique and can strike the ball well, (which you have to be able to do to pick out a long range pass), why wouldn't you be able to score some goals.

Frank scored a lot because he played in midfield whereas Puli has, so far, been playing more on the wing for us but it's important to remember, that's where frank played for us when he was first a chelsea.

I could see us playing a more fluid system where players rotate around each other so, for example, Puli and CHO move inside and out on the wing to present a more mobile threat, similar to the way the dutch used to play 'total football'.

So maybe Puli will score more goals in the future for us... and maybe some of them won't be deflected goals in the same way supah did back in the day :giggle:

8. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes, but as Frank knows IF you don't shoot, you don't score. AND IF you do shoot quite often those deflected balls go into the back of the net. Frank is going to bring that confidence out in CP.

We have a great team of young players and whereas some folks on a messageboard might be arguing the toss about who is better than whom, and who should play more mins and who has pedigree and who doesn't, our manager is building a team with these players.

stanger repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I know. I was just making a pun that Puli scored a deflected goal and opposition fans always whinged that supah 'only scored deflected goals' back in the day... 222 of them and the ONLY person to have scored over 150 goals FROM MIDFIELD :D

If Puli can do anything like that I'm sure we will be well pleased :)

10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think goal scoring is what he does best. Goals are important, but what Puli does is unbalance defenses. I think it was said up thread that he is a chaos agent. He will score some goals,but his shot is not particularly noteworthy. He can, however, pass it into the net.

I think Frank, being the all time leading goal scorer for CFC probably puts a heavy emphasis on taking the shot when in the box. Pulisic often appeared to look to pass first, and shoot second. Frank is changing his mentality to shoot first.

Most importantly, Frank has made the lad hungry. He has made him understand he has to come to work everyday and be on top of his game to get minutes on the pitch. Not sure that was always the case at BVB.

I am enjoying watching your club, and hiring Frank is beginning to look like a stroke of genius. If he can get the defense sorted Chelsea can be very good in what was supposed to be a rebuilding season.

11. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The shots that he took yesterday that didn't score were hard and well struck.

Saying he can pass it into the net is more than a little harsh.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, the defence needs some work.

Not sure what's going on there, tbh. We didn't list Christensen or Rudi as subs yesterday so I'm guessing they're both crocked.

So it's hard to look solid in defence if all the experienced defenders are broke and your main defensive shield in midfield, Kante, is also out.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ANY professional footballer can kick the ball hard enough that it would take your head off if it goes straight at you. That's not the problem. The problem is people tense up when they get into position if they're not used to doing it in that position, i.e. facing the keeper in an actual competitive match.

Raheem Sterling was well known for scuffing his shots but has got a LOT better of late.

If someone's in a better position to score and you can make the pass, pass it... if not and you have a decent sight of the target, take the shot.

14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely.

I don't think CP has an issue with his shooting, as was my point.

15. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #190 StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 27, 2019
    Frank talking fankly to his cousin Jamie Redknapp

Pulisic? Creative AND a natural goal scorer. Proof is in the pudding.

16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The "hershey" header. This lad is going to be so great.

imho

In my humble opinion.

17. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Don't agree with all the points, but does offer some good points on managing Pul perspective and expectations, especially after the hat trick, like Hazard did not bed in instantly as a goal scorer and maker either and Premier League adjustment, but to be clear I highly rate Pul and expect if he does his part he will have a stellar star career here.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/che...at-trickbut-hes-not-a-premier-league-star-yet

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #193 Naughtius Maximus, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Something Frank mentioned is that Puli only had a week's break before he came to the club. As an old pro Frank would recognise that's not ideal, even if the player himself, (who's still a young man, don't forget), may not recognise that.

I'm guessing that's why Frank gave him a break and, 'took him out of the firing line', (as the phrase used to have it), when he wasn't performing quite as well as we'd all hoped. Y'know... build up a bit of a head of steam; a hunger to get on the pitch and start playing more aggressively, which he's done admirably.

To me he seemed a little unsure in his first few games. With his pace, balance and skill on the ball he should be running at people and creating danger.

Onward and upward I say :)

19. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    With 4 assists in what was it, 7 or 8 games and one of the better outfield performances we've seen from anyone this season against Pool in the Super Cup, I never understood the doubt or people who defended dropping him completely. Kid can ball. Granted, it's all worked out in the end and I'm happy the BS is over (for now). Seeing him absolutely kill it on Saturday has me very excited for his future with us.

At 21 to display the level of composure, intelligence, maturity, etc. that he did against Burnley, an absolute nightmare of a team for someone who allegedly wasn't physically up for this league .. I mean, let's ********ing go. I'm not worried about him at all. Keep giving him minutes.

20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Away to Watford, late game Saturday, they're not in great form right now, but it's a (somewhat) derby and they tend to play us tough and physical.
    Perhaps home to manure, also not in great form, but a far less physical team.

Now, Pulisic was beaten up in midfield at Manures gaff season opener, a trait that he'll be seeing far more of now that he's hitting a purple patch.

Now, of course, Lampard will want to win both of them, but I have a feeling that he'll be somewhat like Mourinho in his first season in charge and go all out to win this trophy.Mourinho oft talked about how it was far more important to actually win something and get a winning culture instilled in the club.The winning culture/desire far, far outweighing the value of the league cup itself.

I think (just a feeling) that how Lampard views Pulisics progress will be shown by his team selection for this mid week one.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  21. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lampard after the Watford game: "Willian takes people out of the game with his pace and I love that Christian scored a goal from four yards out," Lampard added.

"He could have decided not to go the extra mile and that ball flashes across the face and no one gets on the end of it.

"If he continues doing that sort of thing then the goals will rack up. His general performance was top as well."

Pulisic will be scoring goals :) He almost got another header against Watford.

13 goals in 90 games for Dortmund.
    4 goals in 8 games for Chelsea.

22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    After that header he started taking corners (not very well). I wonder why?

I think that if and when he and his teammates start to understand each other’s runs and look for each other more, many good things will happen.

23. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He got up well and it was a good header and a goal on any other day - but for a fingertip save from Foster who was having his game of the season/career. Pulisic is a real short ass and he got up well.

Yep the team is still figuring out each other's runs and they were all over hitting their passes a bit yesterday.

24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  25. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    What became of this thread? Why did it go so quiet, I wonder?

:)