All Star Ticket Sales

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Detective40oz, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Just received this email, pretty depressing that it says sales are lower than expected. I've got a group of 10 tickets, but we need to make a final push to fill up this stadium for a nationally televised game! Anyone have the exact # of tickets sold so far?

email:
    Dear Soccer Enthusiast:

MLS needs dedicated soccer enthusiasts like you. Ticket sales for this year's all star game are lower than anticipated, but there is still time to make plans to attend. You can order tickets today to be left at the Will Call window, or go to RFK stadium on game day and buy tickets there.

To order online with NO ADDITIONAL fees other than the ticket price:
    https://www.hotstat.com/estore/dcorder_tickets.cfm

Ticket Prices:
    Spectator Level - $27 each, no other fees
    Premium Level - $35 each, no other fees
    VIP Level - SOLD OUT
    Mezzanine Level - SOLD OUT

What: MLS All Star Game featuring the US Men's National Team vs. The best of MLS

When: Saturday, August 3rd, 2002, 3:30 kick off

Where: RFK Stadium, Washington, DC, USA

US Men's National Team Roster:
    Agoos, Jeff
    Burns, Mike
    Beasley, DaMarcus
    Deering, Chad
    Donovan, Landon
    Harkes, John
    Henderson, Chris
    Jones, Cobi
    Lalas, Alexi
    Llamosa, Carlos
    Maisonneuve, Brian
    Mastroeni, Pablo
    McBride, Brian
    Meola, Tony
    Pope, Eddie
    Preki
    Sommer, Juergen
    Wolff, Josh

MLS Roster:
    Tim Howard
    Ryan Suarez
    Mike Petke
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Richard Mulrooney
    Steve Ralston
    Carlos Valderrama
    Mark Chung
    Dema Kovalenko
    Carlos Ruiz
    Taylor Twellman
    Joe Cannon
    Wade Barrett
    Chris Klein
    Ariel Graziani
    Jason Kreis
    Marco Etcheverry
    Joselito Vaca

Enjoy the game!

-----------------------------
    To be removed from this email list of soccer enthusiasts, send an email from this address to "imailsrv@demosphere.com" with the subject line blank, and with "Unsubscribe_soccerwire" as the only word in the body of the message or click here (be sure to send from the address used to send you this message):

2. PSG Stunna

PSG Stunna New Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Darkness!!!
    what really is lower than expected

The question is.. did MLS expect to sell 50,000 tickets and only have sold 25,000? or did they expect to sell 30,000 tickets and have only sold 16k?

I myself know of 16 people going.

if you go on ticketmaster.com and try for the $35 tickets.. if you want 4 or more, you are already in the far corner sections. Usually they sell the seats from the middle of the field outward.

my guess is still that the lower bowl will be full.

Stunna

3. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Another thread said 35K had already been sold and they were opening up new sections

4. scudley

scudley New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Syracuse, NY
    last night on the webcast the announcer mentioned a few times that they had to open some additional sections due to demand... not sure how reliable that is.

5. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    If they open additional sections, I think our "sell-out" level is something like 26,000. I don't remember the exact statistic, but it's the whole bottom bowl, the mezzanine/club level, and those few sections they sell in the top deck on the quiet side. So, if they had to open new sections (and it shows mezzanine/club as sold out), then they must be going through the pink seats upstairs. They might even make it into the yellow seats.

6. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    mlsnet lists our "soccer capacity" as 26,169. I thought I had seen that somewhere.

So, opening new sections would seem to mean that the first 26,169 tickets have already been sold.

7. DCUEngerland

DCUEngerland New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Germantown, MD
    I will be going to the pre game stuff tomorrow, but I find it hard to get enthusiastic over an all star game. I have not grown up with All-star games so maybe I do not really understand. When I pay to see a game I at least want it to be competitive.

Can someone enlighten me?

8. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Re: vote

Dude, that's MSNBC! MSNBC gave a paragraph to soccer! Ladies and gentlemen, the planets are slowly shifting.

9. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    I talked to Bobby Goldwater earlier in the week and he said they were looking at 25-30k.

When I bought my block of 9 seats early last week, we couldn't get them together in the lower bowl on the sides, so we went upper deck and there was no problem getting them seated together there.

With walk up crowd, I'll predict 30k.