All-Star Teams announced

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by judymd, Sep 4, 2002.

1. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    which is why heinrichs as NT coach makes no sense, if pia didnt goto boston i wouldnt have minded kirk going to the USWNT

and yes its just another dumb friendly, just so no one gets hurt and ill be a happy camper.

2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Well Glenn, we thought some alien took you away.

3. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    LOL no ailien, just a broken computer :(

4. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    They may have to check the nets for wear and tear once those two get through with them :D

DiCicco may be turning into the Ed Wade of this match - as in not putting the best people on the field, which may turn fans onto the league moreso, rather than appeasing the Break-ed and Power-challenged...

That it will.

Paul

5. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Come on...

All teams deserve to have a minimum of one player who plays in the All Star game - and substantial minutes (call it 20-25 as a base).

Then from there the other players should be the best from the North/South. So that leaves you will a possibility of 13 Philly players if you really wanted to do that.

The "Come on..." comes into play with any reference to Meinert. As has been stated numerous times (mainly be others, not me), she's the victim of a poorly performing Breakers team. Her talent speaks volumes though, and she deserves to be named as a reserve.

6. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I'm with you - Meinert does deserve a reserve spot, it was just the Pearce and Sobrero and Ronnie that I was aiming my remark at. The reason Chastain is in at the D is because there were too many contenders for her in the mid. But Venturini? That's the head-scratcher and that's who should have grabbed virtual bench to make room for Meinert. A midfield of Meinert, Zhao, Sissi and either Lilly or Fair would be nothing to sneeze at.

Paul

7. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Poet Song, you got my vote.

And Paul, you let what other people think or say affect you too much.

8. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Not true, Adam; I said on the 4th that Meinert should be a reserve :)

Like I said, my remark was at any possibility of Pearce, Sobrero etc. on there. Since the Chinese are home, however, I'd like to revise my reserve list to Beene, E-I, Mitts, Meinert and Janss.

Paul

9. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Paul here's somthing for you to do this weekend...

Haverford (Pa.) College will seek to become the first U.S. college or university in any NCAA or NAIA division to record 700 men's soccer wins this weekend when it hosts Neumann and Cabrini Colleges, Saturday and Sunday September 7 and 8, in the 12th Annual Jimmy Mills Tournament, named for the National Soccer Hall of Famer and 1956 U.S. Olympic coach who led the Fords from 1949-70.

The oldest organized college soccer program in the nation, Haverford began its rich tradition over a century ago when Richard Gummere, Class of 1902, entered a team from the college in a winter league of Philadelphia cricket clubs. The team gained national prominence when it defeated Harvard University, 1-0, in the first modern-day intercollegiate soccer match on April 1, 1905. Since that day, the Fords have accumulated 699 victories to rank first among college programs across the nation for all-time wins.

Led by 20th-year head coach Joe Amorim and captains Andrew Poolman '03 (Carlisle, Pa./HS) and Jake Solderitsch (Rosemont, Pa./Radnor HS), the current Fords defeated Delaware Valley, 1-0, on an 85th minute goal by soph Jonathan Selkowitz (Harrisburg, Pa./Central Dauphin East HS) in their opener Aug. 31. The team spent much of its August preseason camp on a training trip to Brazil.

Game times for Haverford on E.F. Walton Field are 1 p.m. Saturday vs. Neumann and 4 p.m. Sunday vs. Cabrini.

Men's College Soccer Teams with Most Victories
    School NCAA Division Seasons Wins
    HAVERFORD III 101 699*
    UCLA I 54 689
    San Francisco I 55 684
    Penn State I 91 673
    Elizabethtown III 60 658
    Wheaton-IL III 67 654
    Pennsylvania I 94 611
    Saint Louis I 42 591
    Springfield III 85 591
    Harvard I 101 557

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think she's up for a full 90 now....

The Abby and Mia show, coming soon to an All-Star Game near you! ;)

11. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    :p

The level of competition will be slightly, just *slightly*, above the tomato can Scotland turned out to be today, on every level, from the front to the back, to the backstop :)

Did Solo's candidacy for the NT take a bit of a hit today, however? And going in the first round of the 2003 draft, too?

Paul

12. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    SOUTH ALL-STAR RESERVES
    GK Briana Scurry Atlanta Her six shutouts led the WUSA in 2002
    D Nel Fettig Carolina Let go by New York in preseason, she started 21 of 23 games in 2002
    D Carrie Moore Washington Freedom's man-marker shut down WUSA's top scorers in 2002
    D/M Kylie Bivens Atlanta Rising U.S. national team star is extremely versatile
    F Charmaine Hooper Atlanta Canadian star finished tied for fourth in the WUSA with 11 goals in 2002
    F Shannon MacMillan San Diego USA's leading scorer in 2002 will start in place of Carolina's Birgit Prinz

NORTH ALL-STAR RESERVES
    GK LaKeysia Beene San Jose Beene holds the WUSA all-time mark for goalkeeper victories with 19
    D Kate Sobrero Boston She was the youngest U.S. starter in the 1999 Women's World Cup.
    D Erica Iverson Philadelphia Finalist for WUSA Defensive Player of the Year in 2002
    M/F Angela Hucles Boston She more than doubled her point total from 2001 (4) to 2002 (10)
    F/M Maren Meinert Boston Finished tied for fourth in WUSA scoring in 2002 (7g, 15a, 29 pts.)

13. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Well, 3 out of 5 isn't bad :) But Sobrero? Hucles? :eek:

Paul

14. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    im still wondering about scurry over mullinix on the south side...definate wierdness lol