All-Star rest?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Alejandro 10, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    With the start that our boys have had do you suppose they are looking forward to nice rest weekend coming up on the All-Star weekend? I know as United fan it would not cause me any pain to see all of our guys getting some rest rather than facing West Ham.
    I guess that brings me to wonder who I want to see putting in some extra travel and running before the second half of the season...
    Is it ethical to vote for other team's players so our boys can have an extra weekend off? Maybe, maybe not. Do any of you think it would be worth it to vote in such a way so as to not have a United player on the roster? True, there is bonus money in playing that weekend for the boys, but more from Superliga, Supporter's Shield and MLS Cup right?

2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    well - mostly I agree with you - Some guys and really the whole team don't need any more games than they already have - Games can and do get you in shape but they mostly wear you down and are a risk of injuries - I'd rather they have a few hard days of practices and running during that stretch

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to vote a whole lot for players on the team that United is playing after the break.

4. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    It seems like the least we can do, and like something that could actually be a physical on the field benefit for the boys.

5. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    With the poor start, I doubt it'll be like 2006 (what was the like 7 All-Stars or something?). I never liked the idea of the All-Star game, but then again, if you think about it, in the past month or so we haven't actually played a whole lot. Although that will change I guess after the break.

6. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    I would also do the same but there is about a 10 day break between the All Star game and our game with KC.

7. HamptonRoadsMLS

HamptonRoadsMLS New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    I always prefer rest over All-Star games. Although we may not have a large presence at the festivities this year anyway. Rather, let the boys rest and focus on a second-half surge that moves us up the table.

8. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more reason why apathy overwhelms me with regard to this MLS game.

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a good chance the home Houston game (rained out) will be rescheduled to the day before the All-Star match. Any of our players in the All-Star match will thus be unavailable to play Houston. Another reason I'd rather them not go. In fact, I think getting Ching and DeRo on the All-Star team is an excellent idea.

10. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    By contrast, I plan my annual calendar around this game. I love the various soccer celebration events around the venue, and I look forward to greeting my heroes in person. Maybe even getting an autograph or two.

As defending champions, I think the entire Houston Dynamo should be selected for the All-Star team. Except I'd add Beckham too, since you can't leave out the best player in the world.

11. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't they start with Beckham, the greatest human ever, and then sprinkle in some champions? :p

I've only done one of the All-Star weekends here, and I did enjoy the auxiliary stuff, but not the game itself.

But then the game has no meaning, and the players aren't playing like they want to be there (these are the same issues I have with the MLB ASG).....I liked the idea of big clubs coming in (even though they're out of season, and we see their C+ team), but playing Millwall's reserve team (or whoever they're playing this year) really isn't enough to charge me up.

I see why MLS want's to fill a 'need' here in order to be accepted, or at least to give them that filling, but with SuperLiga, and the All Star Game, they're clutting up the middle of the MLS season with a whole lot of non-MLS action.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I wish we could write-in some Dev player who doesn't play just so they could get a bonus or something.

13. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant! An MLS twist to the Vote for Rory campaign. There's a quick background of how a couple of smart ass NHL fans ran a campaign to get a journeyman into the NHL All-Star game on his Wiki page.

I'd actually nominate Mediate, Doe, or Kirk in this regard.

Edit: But as I've just looked at the ballot for the first time, there's no write in possibility.:mad: