All Star Game - possible [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BrandiC63, Jun 18, 2003.

1. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
  2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  3. vivy09

vivy09 New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2003/0618_wusa_ajm/web_ajm_1016.jpg

joey & kelly having a good ol' aussie chat before hand :D

compeitition results: http://www.herald-sun.com/sports/18-363586.html

WUSA notes: World wins skills competition

From staff reports : The Herald-Sun
    Jun 19, 2003 : 12:00 am ET

The World All-Stars had bragging rights for at least one night, beating the U.S. Stars 17-10 in the All-Star Skills Competition on Wednesday. More than 2,000 fans attended the event, most of which took place in steady rain.

Mexico's Maribel Dominguez of the Atlanta Beat won the free-kick contest, in which participants had to navigate a wall to score. Washington's Jen Grubb of the U.S. team won the hardest-shot competition, at 61 mph. New York's Joanne Peters of the World Team was second at 60, and Birgit Prinz of Germany and the Carolina Courage was third at 59. :)

The World Team clinched the title with a victory in the shootout portion, in which players received crosses and attempted to score before the ball hit the ground.

Charmaine Hooper and Julie Fleeting of the World Team combined for seven goals in the finals, beating Mia Hamm and Abby Wambach 7-5 in the final round.

"I didn't even know they were keeping score," Hooper said.

College representation

UNC has five players in the All-Star Game, first among college programs. Notre Dame is second with four players, and Florida and Santa Clara have three each.

SAS Stadium stays busy

Tonight's all-star game is not the last major soccer event at SAS Stadium. The venue is the site of this fall's ACC men's soccer tournament as well as the next two NCAA Women's College Cups. The first is Dec. 3 and 5.

"This is a great place to play," Hooper said. "I kind of wish they had this when I was playing at N.C. State. It's nice to see places like this for soccer."