All-Purpose Soccer Parents Thread

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by becomingasoccermom, Apr 15, 2020.

1. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    You don't even need ECNL to go to college (and play). There's a place for everyone that wants one. It may (probably won't) have some money attached to it.

Of the kids my son played with at U12, he and three others (out of 12?) are playing their first year in college. One is at a D1, the rest (including DS) are at DIII.

2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Is there a team parent? I would expect a pre-season meeting with the coach. (S)He should set out expectations and what kind of schedule they're planning. After that, all communication should come from the team parent.

What kind of communication do you want in mid season?

3. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Sigh. Again, what is he teaching during training sessions? What does he say to the kids on the sidelines? What does he say at halftime? After the game?

If you don't like the way a coach operates, find another team/club. I GUARANTEE there will be something about EVERY coach you don't like.

AlextheRef repped this.
  4. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    There was never a meeting. But yes there's a parent. It's not mid-season yet, it just started. And technically it's year round, until tryouts next May.

5. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Not sure about training sessions. They do a lot of scrimmaging, but that's not my complaint. It's more about game mgt.
    They should be playing out of the back and pressing well, since they did last year. They should keep their shape, and cover, which they did last year.
    I want to see progress, not regress.

6. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    So the season just started in September, runs until May and you consider it "year round"? Here we have two outdoor seasons. Fall (usually August - October/November) then Spring (February/March - May). The team commitments are for the Fall and Spring, but there are occasionally changes between the two.

Now, what communication do you want from the coach?

7. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I think you missed my point. The coach teaches in training what he wants to see in the games. Is he teaching them to play "boot ball"? Or are the kids doing it on their own? Is there any consequences in practice for not doing what the coach taught you to do?

Regardless, it's obvious you don't like the way this coach does things. You can try talking to him, but I about guarantee that's not going to get anywhere. So your choices are to either live with it or leave the team.

8. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    The practices started in June but we got a late start on games.
    We just started the league games two weeks ago for fall season, so I would not call it mid-season yet.
    The team practices basically from June until tryouts in May, with a break here or there.

9. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    He needs to manage the game. There's no point in throwing a competitive match in the name of "letting kids learn from their mistakes"; there's nothing gained from it.
    What's even the point of tracking the scores and the table? I am fine with none of that. Let kids play pickup soccer all year if you don't want to manage games, and you just want to let kids have at it with not guidance during a match.
    But obviously everyone cares about winning or else they would not join a structured league with goal tracking and table ranking. The kids care, the parents care, the coaches care. Do I care? Not that much. But what separates a league game from a scrimmage? The fact that the goals and who wins is tracked. If that's not important then just do scrimmages and don't track scores.

10. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    Honestly, I'm not sure what answer you want at this point?

You're options are these:

1. Complain to the coach about his style
    2. Complain to the owner of the club about the coach
    3. Leave the club
    4. Do nothing

AlextheRef and sam_gordon repped this.
  11. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    The only communications we would get at the beginning of a season from the coach was his expectations of players and parents, usually around commitment to the team and trainings.

I never had a club coach communicate with the parents regarding how he coached.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  12. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Actually, around here, they don't track goals/tables until U10.

Have you talked to your son yet about this issue? What does HE think?

And @soccerdad72 summed up what your choices are.

13. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    From this ^^^ and something else you said, "It would take years for an 8 year old to learn basic things under your paradigm. It's not like they do something and then analyze it." My take is that you neither trust the coach nor the players. With a lack of trust in those you're watching, I fear that you will always be unhappy. And from what I've read in your posts, that lack of trust is the biggest problem. Here's what I think I've read:
    *You love the game and played it at a high level.
    *Your son is talented.
    *Your son is on the top team for his age at the club that he's at.
    *You find opportunities for your son to play beyond just practice.
    I would guess that based on all of this, soccer is on the screen in your house and your son watches it. It sounds to me that your son is in a pretty good environment to advance IF you let him navigate. Think of yourself as the chauffeur in this journey (pretty easy when you think of all the miles you drive and he sits in the back seat). Are you supporting what he wants out of the game? Great! That, I think, is our main role as parents.

Now, you complain that the team should play good soccer and play out of the back. But playing out of the back is an awfully limited view of the game, and "good soccer" is awfully subjective. I learned the game playing in a 4-3-3, and then in the 90s, almost no one was playing a 4-3-3. Lots of 4-4-2, or even 3-5-2. Then I saw lots of 4-2-3-1. And the 4-3-3 has made a resurgence. And MLS is such a melting pot that you can see all of those formations and philosophies play each other. The point is that the understanding of "good soccer" evolves. And by watching, your son becomes a student of the game and learns. And with you pointing things out, especially if you make it to Earthquakes or Republic games, to him during the match, his appreciation and understanding of the game will be that much deeper and richer. And that will improve his game.

Training methods evolve, too. My son has thousands more touches than I ever got in part because from 3rd grade on I only ever played 11v11. So your coach, who is trusted by a major club with its top team, may have a different way of doing things than you expect. But that doesn't make his method wrong. If he is giving instruction and the kids are safe and happy, that's the important thing.

So back to you, I would encourage you to trust the game to be the best teacher. And remember kids are sponges; they learn whether they want to or not! With all of the support you give your son, he'll be fine. But I really recommend, for your happiness and for your son's, try to just listen and have some trust in the game, the coach, and the players.

KCFoxes, AlextheRef, jmnva and 3 others repped this.
  14. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I was happy last year. We had a great coach.
    Let's look at coaches on a scale of 1-10.
    Last year we had a 9 let's say.
    I would like at least a 5.
    Is a 5 too much to ask for? I don't think that's unreasonable.

yes there are different styles, but some things are universal.
    For ex, if you have the ball your team should expand the field, make it bigger. When you don't have the ball you condense or make it smaller, you force the opponent back or outside. No team in the world would think it's ok to let the opponent run up the middle in your half. Just no way.
    What else - uh how about no coach in the world would be ok with a defender trying to dribble the middle of the pitch through the entire opposition. That's like U6 rec stuff. Can a fullback dribble up, yes. He can dribble up the flanks if given space, that's part of his job. But a centre back?

15. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Well, I'll stop beating a dead horse. I thank you all for your feedback. I read all of your comments. And it was insightful.
    @Fuegofan I never played at a high level (not past HS) but I have played a lot and still do. I've learned far more in my older years because I analyze a lot and try to learn something every time I play. I play with a wide variety of skill levels occasionally will be going against college kids or semi-pros and it's great, though humbling. Sometimes we can still hold our own against them if we play smart.

Fuegofan repped this.
  16. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Kid's coach is not teaching them to play out of the back. This is very hard to watch time after time. This is the highest level of soccer available. The A team in a competitive club. Last year the coach was teaching them to do it, but not now. Should I care or not? I feel it is crucial for development to be teaching them to play out of the back. I don't see how it is ok to just let them have at it like rec soccer; let them try to dribble it up the middle past 4 opponents or just blast it forward. It is ugly soccer. It is not proper soccer.

17. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    Quit and pull out of the club and go elsewhere.

Seriously, you've been complaining about this coach for months now, so I don't think there's anything left that any of us can say at this point.

Can't tell you that the next club will be any better, but that's the crap shoot you take.

18. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Should I talk to the technical director? Shouldn't the tone come from the top in terms of the style that is to be taught?

19. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    @soccerdad72 has it exactly right.

Here's another learning point for you... just because a team is an "A team", at a "competitive club" does NOT mean the coach is perfect. EVERY coach you run into will have SOME problem (in your eyes).

bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Why? Because you disagree with how the coach trains the players? I mean, at this point, sure why not? I'm sure the TD would LOVE to hear from a parent that they disagree with what a coach is teaching (or not).

AlextheRef repped this.
  21. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    My question is - does the TD set a tone for style of play across the club or does he leave each coach to their own devices?

22. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    That will depend on the club. At some, the former, at others the latter. It might also depend on the coach's relationship with the TD.

AlextheRef and Fuegofan repped this.
  23. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    Not sure what you hope to gain from it, but I agree with @sam_gordon - have at it, if it will make you feel better.

sam_gordon repped this.
  24. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    You know what time it is - it's vent time.
    Every single game a handful of kids lift their foot on throw ins and the ref calls it and gives it to the other team.
    I know throw-ins are an afterthought for a lot of coaches, but since we literally keep giving up possession for a bad throw-in, I don't understand why they don't spend a few minutes on this to fix it.
    It's not that hard. I taught my U6 kids to keep both feet down and they DID.
    Maybe took 10 minutes a couple of practices. jeez laweez

Again, I'm not saying it's a super important fundamental part of the game at U9... BUT it's not that hard to learn, so spend a few minutes and knock it out.

25. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Hate to tell you this, but I see illegal throws in HS Varsity matches. And yes, it's a turnover.

But before you get too upset, watch after a legal throw... how many touches does the throwing team get before possession changes?

I'm not saying it's something that should be ignored, but there's no need to stress over it.