all about St Kitts & Nevis

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by CG, Nov 11, 2003.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  2. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    facts

*First settled by the British in 1623, the islands became an associated state with full internal autonomy in 1967. The island of Anguilla rebelled and was allowed to secede in 1971. Saint Kitts and Nevis achieved independence in 1983. In 1998, a vote in Nevis on a referendum to separate from Saint Kitts fell short of the two-thirds majority needed.

* 1.5 times the size of Washington, DC

*population: 38,763

*Nationality:

noun: Kittitian(s), Nevisian(s)
    adjective: Kittitian, Nevisian

*Government type:

constitutional monarchy with Westminster-style parliament

*Currency:

East Caribbean dollar

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol it's so good to see my flag up there! actually, i'm a dual citizen of the USA/Nevis, so it would have been nice to go to the game up here in germantown, but alas, i have to go out of state on business the whole week. beautiful islands, quiet and relatively untouched. nice for a total getaway!

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Even better to take a little trip down to the Carribean! A little sun, a nice beach, a little soccer...what could be better in Late Fall?

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no doubt about that. it's funny, because me and my cousin went home to St. Kitts/Nevis in December, and we went to the football pitch (where the game will be) in Basseterre. I remember looking at it and we fell out laughing about the difference in quality between the field there and what we are used to in the US and England (my cousin lives in England and is a dual citizen of Nevis/England). It's all good though. They try. Fields like that tend to even up play quite a bit though. As I said before, i'm just a bit pissed that i don't get to go to the game in Germantown with my Nevisian flag and my American flag in tow!!!! I'm sure that would have garnered a few strange looks. lol

6. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting note about the players. None are from the state of California. Kinda unique I thought.

Ohh how I would like to go to St. Kitts/Nevis for a little vacation right now too.

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bull *#*#*#*#in *#*#*#*#. i am also a dual citizen of st kitts. *#*#*#*# nevis tho, lol jk. you may know my family as we used to and i guess currently are quite known there.
    the astaphan's. my uncle dwyer is currently minister of tourism. my other uncle used to be prime minister in the 80s i think. i forget his name, maybe michael, not an astaphan tho. black guy, didnt want tv's in the country back then.
    the country is a great place, for me the nicest ppl in the world. i havent been to nevis but i know it is nice due to all the nice hotels and it was a frequent vacation spot for princess di.
    it is nice to see the flag up here huh?

8. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I love the little remark on the map,

"The Island of Sombrero is not shown!"

I guess I will have to go to St. Kitt's before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

9. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they have a Newcastle as well.

When's the away leg anyway? And what's with the constitutional monarchy? Did they just pick a king in 1967 and establish a royal family?

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i believe the constitutional monarchy refers to the english royal family. there is no royal family on the island, except for mine maybe :) stkittsnevis.net is the goverments website i believe.

11. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy was Prime Minister of your country AND your uncle AND YOU STILL CAN'T REMEMBER HIS FRIGGIN' NAME!!! And people wonder why name recognition is so difficult for politicians to achieve. :D

Murf

12. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it is because he is not an uncle by blood and i have never met him. another thing...i DONT remember names. my grandparents were part rabbit. they had 12 kids i believe...not to also mention nephews of theirs that i consider uncles and not cousins. think about it...11kids minus my dad, all married, 2nd cousins, 1st cousins...its a lot to remember.

13. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just thought you guys might be interested.
    alexander hamilton is a kittian by birth. born in charlestown. i realize thats nevis, but shhh...st kitts is cooler.

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EVERYONE knows that

but at least Nevis is the center of commerce for the entire caribbean

15. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Their FA actually has a nice website:

http://www.sknfa.kn/

I got 9 out of 10 on the "quizz"...one of the questions is tricky.

16. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the sad thing is as nice of an island st kitts is A LOT of the money comes from nevis from tourism. they have the nicest hotels. sugar cane isnt enough. did you guys know the nat team is called the sugar boys and not the reggae boys? if anyone goes down try csr. its the national liquor. its rum if i remember correctly, pretty good from what i have heard. also carib is a pretty good beer, similar to corona.
    and if anyone goes visit brimstone hill. its a top of a volcano that got blasted off and landed perfectly and was made into a fort. iirc at times you can see whales swimming when you are at the top.

17. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10/10. i am guessing you misse dthe who did not score in the openning round?

18. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    going pro...?

lol i just found out st kitts has its own football league, i will admit i never knew that. and not only a league, but with 3 divisions!!! with 7 teams in the premier and 1st div and 18 in the 2nd.
    32 teams in total lets say 20 ppl per team (rounding to a lower #)...640players.
    the island has a population of around 45,000 from memory, lets say half are women, 22,500 men, lets say ohh to be fair 30% of those men are in the right age group to play soccer...6,750 men eligible to fill up those 640 spots. wow. so 10% of all men could make a team...im going pro!!!
    i should call some uncles and see what the pay is like. i could be happy to chill on an island like that and play soccer all the time :D

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No if you try and answer too quickly you could miss the "hands" one. Got 10 out of 10, but paused for a sec on that one. :)

20. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my uncle!!!!

check out page 2 on photo gallery. 2 pics of my uncle with the FA president. he is the man on the left with the white shirt.

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the St. Kitts and Nevis FA site:

"U.S.A got a bye in the Round I but played and won a friendly match 1:0 v/s the Haiti U-23 team in Florida. The highly anticipated appearance of U.S superstars - Donovan, Beasly and Adu will definitely be a blast as they match up against local players like of Atiba, Jevon and Alister."

I feel bad now since none of the three will be on the squad that goes to St. Kitts and Nevis.

22. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm...how about another trip down there in February??? :)