...all about Santos v PUMAS (pre-during-post)

Discussion in 'Pumas de UNAM' started by Disco Dale, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Big match Thursday, v Santos. I did not see it but they lost to Queretaro, so that must give us big hope. Never easy to win away, but 3 points would be lovely, as that would leave them only one point ahead of us in the decenso, and of course we need points, as our group is so close, and they are in it.

I must say I don't know much about them, except that they look like Celtic, and Pony Ruiz.. anyone can fill me? they seem to have struggled in the last few years, what should we watch out for, where can we exploit them? Cheers

Decenso, bottom 5
    Veracruz 88 from 72 1.2222
    Santos 86 from 72 1.1944
    San Luis 44 from 38 1.1579
    UNAM 82 from 72 1.1389
    Queretaro 3 from 4 0.7500

Group 3
    1st Toluca 10 pts +6 GD
    2nd América 7 pts +3 GD
    3rd UNAM 7 pts +2 GD
    4th Tigres 7 pts 0 GD
    5th Monarcas 4 pts -2 GD
    6th Santos 2 pts -3 GD

2. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...this won't be an easy one either...

...if we keep order in all our lines, we could at least tie, if not win as we did against jaguares...we must play intelligently and not lose concentration...relaxing could cost us big time...we have to keep adding up points against group teams or relegation teams (in this case santos is both)...

...santos hasnt won any games at all so far and pumas can take advantage of this...yes is hard to play at santos for any team in this league, but if we play as we did against chiapas, we could pull it off...i beging to think this pumas is gonna start playing more and more like toluca does...

...so in this game we must order our backline and counter...especially that is how away games are gona be played...smart and without risks, no so much flashy but effective...santos is desperate to win this season and it would be smart for tuca to come out and try to gain from this anxiety of santos...the formula will pay off if we keep composture and take advantage of conters and set plays...

...santos continues to rely a lot on pony so we have to watch out for this little dangerous gem they have...that does not mean we should only watch him...i think we have adapted better than santos has so far(because santos did a lot of adjustments as well) and that could give us a slight edge in this game...we also have to watch out for jimenez, peralta, and people in the back who add up well to the front in set plays...

...their defense needs to improve...they have received 9 goals so far...we could take advantage as well, especially if we let them attack us because we could conter fast and score...but none of all these weaknesses from santos would be exploded if we cant score or defend well...

...i trust in a pumas tie or a win in this one...:cool:

3. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...i was watching the goals scored to santos so far (tnx to colima24) and noticed this santos team has a goalie who apparently can't seem to position itself well in the area and lacks leadership and communication with his defenders...the goals scored against them came from the wings, set plays, and the middle (so basically all over the place)...

...this defense seem pretty messy and uncoordinated, we could take advantage of these two weaknesses...

...i say tuca should sit back and counter with our wings, tis patience should pay off if we defend well and frustrate santos...they can sooner or later send more people to attack if they cant score...we should also try to shoot from outside the box to see if we can surprise their goalie, leave people like scocco and leandro on charge of this one...and put in practice set plays where pikolin, reinaldo, and even scocco could make a difference...

...pony is really who i worry about the most, the man is a focused player who can score on you or set a good assist if you give him one inch...other than that, i dont think the rest of the players have been adapting well to the newcomers and to graniolatti...we could really pull this one through defending well...:cool:

...on other historical notes, if you are a stats lover, note the following:

Enfrentamientos entre ambos desde la Temporada 95-96: 24
    Victorias de Santos: 9
    Victorias de Pumas: 11
    Empates: 4
    Total de goles anotados entre Santos y Pumas desde Temporada 1995-1996: 70
    Promedio de goles por partido: 2.92

4. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    ...you just know I am, Franco, by now....

Thanks for all that info about Santos, from what you are saying, despite being away, I think anything less than a win would be dropped points. I have to work, so may not be able to see the game... grrr...shoot my boss, please.....

5. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...whenever i can contribute positively to this thread i would do it...no problem...sucks you are not gonna be able to watch it, maybe you should make your boss a pumas hardcore fan...i am for the win as well, but we know futbol tends to be unpredictable, especially in mexico...

6. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
  7. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    That is really very bad news about Leandro, not that we needed proof but last Sunday showed how important he is...

and with Veracruz and San Luis winning last night, and Queretaro getting a point, this game becomes ever more important....

8. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    good info disco,

may i suggest keeping a standard post title, something descriptive and to the point

maybe

Jornada 4 - UNAM vs Santos [R]

pre/during/post is not necessary IMO

9. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    Thu Aug 31 06:00PM Pacific
    Thu Aug 31 07:00PM Mountain
    Thu Aug 31 08:00PM Central
    Thu Aug 31 09:00PM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr LIVE
    FOX Sports en Espanol - US
    Futbol de Mexico
    Santos vs Pumas

...dont know if it would be ramos or orvanyanos on the play by play...

10. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Bloody Sky stole the World Cup, now they've stolen Pumas... cannot see it, but can see that its half time, and 1-0 down, bloody Pony Ruiz...

From the line up it looks like he started with 5-3-2, but changed it early, pulling off Moreno after 25 mins for Morales, I guess switching to 4-4-2..... is this tactical stupidity, or honesty in facing up to the fact it wasn't working?

Anyway watching... am I correct? how do we look? is there hope?

11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    David Toledo in for Alex Diego as the second half begins.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Man that was a bad miss!

13. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Alright, if Caranta can't continue, get him off...now! Enough time has been wasted.

14. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Now it's Marcón being carted off. Stop with the "injuries." Third Santos player this game.

15. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...well, the first goal was a nice play by santos from their rigth side passing a couple of pumas defenders to then go towards the end of the line and send diagonal back to pony who was able to set himself apart from his defender to score...great play of their part...sucks for us...

...pumas really having more possesion in the game but no imagination...no conection between lines, no creativity whatsoever so far...

...back line of 5 did not work...tuca was forced to subbed moreno (who received a tunnel b4 santos scored) for morales and back to 4-4-2...

...the game has turned since in several missed passing from pumas and lack of creativity in the last 1/4 of the puma attack...

...from then on santos have been able to get some down time when their players falling to the ground constantly (in some instances injured)...so the game has turned out very choppy...

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Yellow for Rafael Figueroa. 70'

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Ariel Gonzalez preparing to come in.

18. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Gonzalez in for Reinaldo. 75'

19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Now Caranta feigning having been kicked in the face. Pathetic prick. Yet another delay in the game.

20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Gooollllll!!!!!!!

Fernando Morales header off a free kick.

1-1. 85'

21. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    5 minutes stoppage.

22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
  23. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...terrible game...but i expected at least a draw...we got lucky though on marcon and his terrible miss (could had been 2-0) and possible a pk against us on a pickolin kick to the face of a santos player towards the end as well...but then again we got a goal taken away from palacios...

...choppy game, horrible...no rithm whatsoever...but i take the draw given our terrible passing...

...morales came to save us:D ...i cant tell who was the man of the match for pumas...i would say morales cuz of the goal but he did not do much either...

24. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA