Algarve Final - USA vs. Germany

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by exref, Mar 12, 2013.

1. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This final should be a great match! Will Sermanni go with the veterans or seed in some new girls? I'd like to see:

Barnhart
    Krieger--Sauerbrunn--Rampone--O'Hara
    Boxx
    O'Reilly--Press--Rampone
    Leroux--Morgan

2. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapinoe instead of a second Rampone...

I like it. Should be dangerous and maybe able to build an attack from the back once or twice. Both Krieger and O'Hara have been dangerous on attack.

3. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    The U.S. needs to make sure that Jennifer Marozsan doesn't roam free like last time. Someone needs to close in on her as soon as she touches the ball. I thought that Rampone gave her way too much space last time.

4. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a lot more worried about da Mbabi than Morozsan to be honest. I don't think the U.S. has ever played a German side with da Mbabi since she became the focal point of the German attack.

Also, looks like Kulig and Bartusiak are definitely out and Bresonik is questionable.

5. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I know that Bartusiak has had her fair share of defensive woe's lately, but I'm kind of glad she's not playing in this match. I was at the first game against Germany in Bridgeview, IL last year and she really played Morgan tough. She was extremely physical during the entire match.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sauerbrunn, at least at first blush, seems to be one of those players who is better as a sub for short stretches than as a 90 min player. Her best things r organization and short passing and both have seemed to let her down in her starts. The last full game I liked from Sauerbrunn was in the WWC vs France. Im thinking Buehler is the chalk pick for Germany. She is steady at least. The gamblers play is Engen. She has the speed to stay with Maroszan and Lotzen and the size to control Popp. She isnt as polished as the other two but she has the best set of tools. I think Krieger helping will be a big difference from the two friendlies. Of the three goals Germany got, two came from the right and the third was the play Rampone slipped.

7. LeftCoastLondoner

Oct 29, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I've been disappointed by Sauerbrunn's play the last game or two, but I wouldn't describe Buehler as steady; apart from her tendency to grab and hold, she can miss marking assignments like nobody's business. I'd go with Engen.

exref and Namdynamo repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If u went with Engen (and were willing to live with being second guessed) at least ud learn something. If she held her own against the talented and physical Germans u could hang ur hat on her helping solve the CB problem. If she got exposed u know u have to keep on looking or at least be prepared for a project.

Namdynamo repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno... Rylie has been hanging out with the team a lot, really pushing for that 1st cap.

exref repped this.
  10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Boxx? - Boy, she looked gassed. Does she even have the legs for the Germany match, but they still don't have a REAL replacement or sub :ROFLMAO: for her.

O'Reilly is too predictable. She has a move to the right, push the ball forward and serve it in wildly.

Wambach looked as gassed as Boxx when she got subbed. I agree don't start her.

I don't think Germany's frontline is as fast as Sweden's, so Rampone should be able to cover central errors by Engen.

If Press, Sydney and Morgan start and the MF is anywhere near 45/55 on possession, FC USWNT scores first. Germany moves their back-line high, and it's 2:0. France's long ball attack got a couple of goals on them.

One month ago people were posting, how this squad isn't the Germany of old, but now, they are great. Make up your minds.

They don't need Wambach to start this game.

11. LeftCoastLondoner

Oct 29, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Exactly. And I'm always willing to be second-guessed. :thumbsup: This year should be about collecting data and working on the ethos of the team, not winning competitions. I'd rather the US lost the Algarve Cup now, so long as the process moved TS closer to finding his best team. (Of course, I'd also rather we beat the Germans, but, if I can only have one . . . )

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Haha. Two days ago you said they were going to own the 2015 Cup....right before you said France would.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Already has the uniform too.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    With Lloyd out it gives them a great chance to try and assess their options in the central midfield. They have Cheney, Press, Rapinoe and Heath as central attackers and three competitive matches to make some sense of it.

15. holimoli

holimoli Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Assuming that it's important for the US to win to maximize publicity for the NWSL, it seems Sermanni would go with "the usual" starters with regular sub patterns. From the results so far I'm guessing these players have pretty strong positions:

Wambach, Morgan, Rapinoe, O'Reilly, Boxx, Krieger, Rampone, O'Hara

That would reduce to one midfield and one defensive spot truly up for grabs right now.

I think (and hope) Press is forcing herself in as starting attacking midfielder, and I think Lloyd's injury will hasten that (although no one wants to see an injury). But Heath and Averbuch will be fighting for it along with Lloyd and Cheney when they return.

Fighting for the defensive spot are Buehler, Sauerbrunn, Dunn, and Engen. Who knows who's going to come out on top?

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Kyndra De St Aubin (FoxSoccer) made an interesting point. A lot of these players arent contracted to USSoccer and they can only have them there for so long before they need to offer them a contract. If the allocated players (23 players to NWSL) represent the players with contracts for 2013, that only leaves one slot to fill. Now I really have no clue what the old contract says about this. Do LePeilbet's and Rodriguez' slot open up? What does the lack of a new agreement have to do with this if anything? It is interesting for players like Press, Averbuch and Engen tho.

17. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I'd go with Engen or Becky. their play has been below par, but they are also not in season and after a few games under their belt this week, I expect they will be a little more on top of things.
    Becky, though, doesn't seem as fit/ quick as she usually dose. (not that she's a speedster, but still)

18. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I am sorry, but any suggestion that Abby should start on the bench is asinine. She is still an offensive threat and someone you can never leave uncovered. I do agree if she is gassed she should be subbed out in the second half, but to suggest she is not a starter anymore when she continues to rack up how many international goals is ridiculous.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Some people believe Wambach is done or close to it...I dont subscribe to that theory. Others believe if she wants to make it to 2015 and still be effective, they have to reduce her time. Unless ur Christie Rampone, a body only has so many minutes and Wambach takes a pounding every game she plays. I think she has to look to play halves and maybe pick her spots to play more when it really counts.

htide repped this.
  20. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    what are you talking about? France has the most intact squad since the WC but can't finish off a top 7 team unless delie has a BIG outing. Get delie an elite running mate, not le sommer or thomis. if it ain't them, then Germany probably has the best talent going to 2015, if it is developed like the usa.

Top 3 for 2 spots in WC championship game

USA
    France
    Germany

Darkest of Horses

Japan :mad:
    Brasil :ROFLMAO:

As noted, Japan doesn't have any forwards, so stay away from them in pre-WC friendlies. France made that mistake 2 weeks before the Olympics.

Now, get a grip. everyone is taking a crack shot at this so early out. o_O

21. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wambach is done for, I mean the ball keeps accidentally hitting her on her head and going in the back of the net. I wish she was on the bench all the time. I mean scoring 29 goals last year was pathetic.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

That would be true if people who subscribe to the theory could demonstrate she is slowing down.

Didn't she just win a little award?

Oh yeah... World Player of the Year.

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a labor lawyer, but I wonder if Rodriguez' situation would put her out of contract. After all, she's voluntarily and intentionally (I assume) made herself unable to work for USSF. Anyone with actual legal expertise on this know what the situation might be?

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The player's agreement has a provision that players Who are pregnant or on maternity leave are retained at half pay.

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/2006/women/jan04.htm

Just noticed they aren't technically in residency this year, since it is after the Olympics.
    ( not to mention the contract is expired)

25. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    r
    You realize when the slide happens it's going to be along the lines of Prinz, but the USA hangs on to its' idols longer, so they'll play (i'm talking 70-80 mins when it should be more like 45-55) her until she makes the call. So, she could have a good 2012 and go " so so" by 2013. She is still top 2 in the world's header game but the feet aren't there. Little, fast compact players like Rampone seem to retain things longer, and she is 6 yrs her senior or something like that. i don't track the DOBs. that was for clive o_O since he/she likes to follow me around the board.