Algarve Cup: Canada v USWNT [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, no... there are two of us on this thread, some following on gobigred and the others on the Voyageurs thread....

So there are six of us... :)

2. boingo

boingo Member

Forward Madison FC
    Feb 17, 2003
    WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how much time left? if any..

3. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    so, six of you, eight of us. we're a flippin' horde! go us! and go US!

4. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    We're in stoppage time right now.

5. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    And it's over. 1-1. Congratulations to Canada on a well-played match.

6. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    1-1 Final score.

Way to go Aly!!!

:D

7. milbrett

milbrett New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    MA
    game

15 shots and 1 goal is sad....very sad

8. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    tie. nice game y'all.

9. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    i'm sure that'll be tough for canada to swallow to play 87 minutes of soccer w/o giving up a goal to let one in so late.

i'm curious to know who was the one who cleared the ball poorly (not that it makes a difference).

darn it..that one got away!

but i think...the fact we had the US reeling for a bit...good sign. hopefully we'll regroup and kick some swedish butt on sunday!

elaine

10. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    And I'm off to a bad start in Elaine's Algarve Cup pool.

11. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    lol. there are still 5 more games to go today!!!

elaine

12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course most of those 15 shots came off the slow passing game the US plays now so the shots were easy to see by Canada's keeper an so quite easy to save for any world class keeper.

The one goal, from the report, was off a steal and a quick, unexpected, shot.

70-80 mins of low presure = no goals.

10-20 mins of high presure = one goal.

April DO THE MATH!

13. boingo

boingo Member

Forward Madison FC
    Feb 17, 2003
    WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Canada!

I've noticed the US tends to be flat coming out and then the creativity kicks in when the pressure is at its highest.

Thanks to those giving the updates too. Loved it. Now back to work to let people know that I'm not nuts for cheering at my screen! :)

14. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Thanks, everyone, for the game reports. Just couldn't get matchtracker to load.

15. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  16. kra2800

kra2800 New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    My understanding is that Aly sat out due to a hamstring pull during the week. They wanted to save her but I guess they needed her today and she came through. Good for her. Someone needs to get Brandi to stop taking the free kicks anywhere in the last third. I wonder when she had her last good one?? Congradulations to Canada, they certainly hang in there against the US.

17. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Thanks for posting the ongoing play and letting those of us without matchtracker the chance to get the game.

Seems like, from the flow of comments, that the USA ran very few give-and-go plays.

I seem to recall it being more of a staple in 1999 (and even 2000).

There's no better way to spring a teammate free with a quick change-of-direction pass -- and the give-and-go is the quintessential quick change-of-direction pass.

Is this just me, or does anyone else have this sense?

By the way, given that most of the USA regulars started (with the Wagner exception of course), it should be of concern to the USA that it gave up a quick goal to Canada and only tied 1-1.

That will trigger an inevitable have-they-caught-up-or-have-we-slowed-down debate, but that is for another thread. I'm just noting the cause for concern six months before WWC 2003.

18. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
  19. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aly's goal sounds like the one she had to win the NCAA's 2 years ago.

20. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I know. I remember when the US used to play real nice attacking soccer with cutting through balls and good crosses. Now its sorty...eh. Gawd the past games have been soooo boooooooring. Ok I don't mean to blame this on April, but I'm just saying that I really liked the games better in our 4-3-3 system and not the boring diamond. It seems like our entire offensive game is dependant on the person on top of the diamond midfield. And as a result, our system is easy to crack. It's sorta like that one game ('96 olympics vs. Norway) where all the US had to do to shut down the Norwegian offense was to have just one good man marker (Tiffany Roberts) on their playmaker, Hege Riise. I was surprised that Milbrett started today instead of Parlow. I mean, Canada does play the same exact long ball/aggresive style that Norway plays. They do have Norway's old coach...

21. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
  22. charcroson

charcroson New Member

Nov 22, 2000
    Isn't the point of the new midfield to crack the bunker? Does it do that? Does it do it better than the old one?

I actually don't know, or have an opinion. Just asking for what people think.

23. soccermonkey19

soccermonkey19 New Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Mississippi
    I guess this means Mia is healed. I wish we could have watched it on tv, I would have liked to see what Tarpley can do.

24. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the point of the new midfield is to "crack the five-woman midfield"...don't ask me how she came up with it, Gebauer...Gabaur (eh, whatever) and Rob Stone tried explaining it to the tv audience during Norway vs USA in Minnesota...Wisconsin...whatever. In my opinion, the new system doesn't leave us in control of the game for the most part. It's more of a counter-attacking formation and not a nice, flowing offensive formation. With the old 4-3-3 ,

---f-f-f--
    --m-m-m--
    -d-d--d-d-

or

---f---f---
    -----f-----
    --m-m-m--
    -d-d--d-d--

we could pinch in the 3 mids or make the midfield wide by taking the central forward position down and make it temporarily a Mid. Atacking down the flanks is also effective because when we pinched in the midfield, there was room for the wing backs (namely chastain) to move into the attack. Because there are more people in the attack, there is usually a greater amount of success goalwise. But in April's 4-4-2 system,

---f--------
    -------f----
    -----m-----
    ---m--m---
    -----m-----
    -d-d--d-d-
    the midfield, because it's so heavily focused in the center, gets awfully congested and the opponent's attack, as well as ours, is hindered greatly. And as a result, we usually suffer more because we like to attack. Most of our scoring chances are usually, as someone already posted, very predictable and quite boring at times when practically nothing is happening because the ball is perpetually trapped in the midfield. I think that if April really wants to use this system to shut down other teams with a five-woman midfield, she should use almost exclusively long ball or overload one flank by moving one of the "side-central" midfielders closer to the sideline and moving up a wingback when on the attack. This is the Brasilian men's attacking style; they use it perfectly. They usually ping the ball along the right side--from the defense to 3/4 of the way up--and then cut into the middle (but still keep an option on the wings). When they get to that point, they either split the defense with a cutting thru ball or serve it back to the wings where it will be served back into the box hoping for a chance on goal. THAT'S how we should play this system. But it all sounds perfect on paper..:p

25. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Perspective is Everything

Here is another perspective on the game.

http://waymoresports.thestar.com/NA...137871627&call_pagepath=Columnists/Columnists

In this version the USA was not so dominant. In fact the USA was very lucky that a poor call resulted in a Canadian goal being called back. I hear another Canadian goal was also called back on an offside, but the call could have legitimately gone either way. Could have just as easily been a 3-1 loss to Canada. I guess a 1-1 tie on an 86'th minute goal was a good result for the USA under the circumstances.