Algarve Cup 2014

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jonny63, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  2. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 Semblance17, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    It should be interesting to see how the US takes on Japan for the first time since the Olympic final. Even more interesting that the March 5 match falls on the two-year anniversary of the last US loss, which happened to be at the hands of Japan in the 2012 Algarve Cup.

The March 7 match should be exciting as well, with Sweden being one of the only four teams to deny the US a win since that loss, the others being Japan, Germany, and [in a tie that many consider a fluke] New Zealand. The Swedes put up quite a fight in their stalemate at the 2013 Algarve Cup, and might have won had it not been for a timely goal from Alex Morgan. I'm curious whether having Pia Sundhage at the helm of the other team just a few months after she left the USWNT psyched out some US players. Kelley O'Hara was quoted as saying ““When she started to yell when I was on her side, I am so used to hearing her voice; it was like, ‘Are you talking to me? Oh, you’re talking Swedish. I’m not on your team anymore!’ So it was a bit weird.”

TeaDrinkerful repped this.
  3. slc1997

slc1997 Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hopefully there will be some tape delay games on Fox Sports 1,2, or Plus. Those are 3 quality match ups and possibly a match with Germany in the final.

4. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dream on, darlin'.

5. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Why? Fox Soccer televised them all last year.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They didnt televise them live tho, did they? I seem to recall watching them on Eurosport.

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I watched them live, but I get the directTV Latino package. I can't remember whether I saw them in English or Spanish.

As an aside, DirectTV doesn't do the PAC12, but is see lots of PAC12 football games from Argentina in Spanish.

A couple weeks ago I saw Los Patos contra Los Arboles.

8. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Fox didn't, though the OP was asking about tape-delayed games. They were live PPV or on ustream.

9. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    It would be great if they aired live this year (whether on Fox, NBC, ESPN/ESPN3, or whatever), but I'd be happy with tape-delayed on Fox again like last year.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If they made money I guess they will do it again...if not we're back to game tracker. Actually, FOX should try and grab this and do it live. There isnt really much for them to build their WWC coverage on except the occasional friendly and CONCACAF. This has a really strong field and would give them the chance to show off some of the WWC 2015 contenders..

11. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Did you write and tell them that? Maybe we all should.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They r on the long list of people who completely ignore my advice.

goaleemama repped this.
  13. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    :laugh:
    I hear you.

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If the USA wins B group and takes on the expected Germany in the finals

than this would be the German's most likely starting lineup(based on the most recent 5 wc qualifiers

------------Angerer------------------
    Schmidt....Krahn...Bartusiak....Maier
    ....Kessler..................Goessling.........
    Mitag............Marozsan...........Laudehr
    .....................Sasic...................................

subs,
    Bajmai
    Popp
    Leupolz

The German's had their poorest showing of the year when the US beat them 2-0 at the 2013 Algarve finale

Their coach, Sylvia Neid, did have most of her best players in the lineup. all except her important back line. Alex Morgan went hog wild against this backline compromised of mostly Wolfsburg players(good club players but not elite NT's)

.............................Shult(gk)..................

Maier...........Wenzsng..........Henning.......Faist

the US lineup against them was this(not sure on the exact configuration)

..Leroux............Press...................Morgan

Rapinoe..............Boxx............Ohara

Averbush......Engen......Buehler.......Krieger

........................Barnhart..............................

thankly Wambach sat out, but not our strongest midfield ever, as Heath, Lloyd & Haliday were missing

here's a replay of the 1st half, in which US dominated play. Surprisingly they allowed up to 6 subs in this game making the 2nd half more chaotic.

but knowing that Germany's will have stronger defenders will be there this time around , what should the US best possible lineup would be???

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Really. Bajramaj has been playing wonderfully for Frankfurt. I would be very surprised not to see her starting.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Too many people worry about about match ups with the other teams. For me, Sermanni needs to concentrate on what the US is doing and take the other teams as they come. They need to possess the ball much better in the midfield and make easy scoring chances for the forwards. If they do that the rest will take care of itself.

17. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hear, hear.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Looked at the scores. How do you leave Morgan totally unmarked 15 yards from goal?

Even league players ought to be thinking about getting a body on her.

19. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just hope she can stay healthy. Such a fantastic player to watch when she is.

20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the 2nd half of last year's finale

Great defensive work by the US as it holds on to it's 2-0 lead that it got in the 1st half. Neid tries to rally her team by making by trying to take control with a short passing game, but its a be-careful-what -you-ask-for as Sermanni pushes his back line up the field there by trapping Neid's team into a compact, tight spots. The German's can't match up with their physically stronger US counterparts and start suffering a number of injuries(though nothing serious)
    Neid will definitley be looking out for revenge if they meet again in the Algarve Cup as really got outsmarted big time in this particular game!

21. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Thank you for the video link. 2nd half was sloppy. Barnie finished that match.

Got any other links to vids?

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. thesis

thesis Red Card

Feb 8, 2014
    Tom should put all those players that were not given fair chances during Pia's time in the match against Sweden.
    They will work extra harder to prove Pia was wrong.

24. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    lil_one repped this.
  25. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    One interesting name on Japan's roster: Homare Sawa. I guess she's coming back. Great to see.