Alexi Lalas - on FFF Tuesday Night 9/3/07

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TequilaJoal, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Shanoni

Shanoni New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles
    That is how I knew what I was hearing... I spent 15 years in DC doing non-denial denials and creating the bob and weave strategy for any number of issues.

2. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    The way I took Alexi's words, it isn't worth some new coach coming in and having to adapt to this beckhamania when Frank is already learning. Not sure I agree with is, especially since that shouldn't have so much to do with the team's performance, but it is how I took it.

3. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: Jonathan, California

You know, I seriously thought it was you calling under an alias or that "Joel" may be your alias. It seemed like just the type of call you'd make.

4. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Alexi when he played... I love he loves the team and the game etc.. He just doesn't appear to be GM material... However, he could be better in public relations, community affairs, advertising etc.. He is that 'Rah- Rah- Rah' type of guy. The cheerleader type who is trying to build a sport in this country.. Should maybe be working for MLS, not AEG...

5. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Jonathan, California

You could be on to something................................................

6. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    I'll jump in here . . .

I think Frank will start the season as our head coach. I'm confident enough in that prediction that I'll bet my standard offering -- a sixer. Tell me what kind of beer you like and we'll have a deal -- a six of Fosters for me if I'm right, and a six of your brand for you if you're right. Post your preference here and I'll reply to confirm, and we'll have a deal.

Topper & Pro -- I'm sure the BS charter discourages wagering, but if we can't bet each other some beer then the terrorists have WON.

7. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beer Bet? Youre ON!

Fave beer at the moment... my friend just opened his own micro brewery... so a sixer of Bulldozer Honeyweizen will do....

http://www.skyscraperbrewing.com/

Pretty good stuff!

So... Im saying Frank is gone before first game 2008. Theres just tooo much SJ people calling him home there and managing Beckham is too big of an opportunity for some big manager out there over the pond.

8. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    Deal, I'm on with you too.

9. SimonAllen

SimonAllen New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    L.A.
    Florida Phil...
    I agree with you about the hosts....

Simon Allen
    World Soccer Wrap

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so I've read through various threads and I can't find a definitive answer:

Did Alexi lie to our faces about the ticket price increase (or nonincrease) on FFF?

Because if he did, then I'll rethink what I wrote previously about supporting him as GM for next year.

11. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good morning!

Looks like prices have been decreased as of yesterday. I wrote this in the season ticket thread, but I heard from my rep and the sideline prices are the same as last year (although for early renewers and people in my type of section it is an effective 15% increase).

So it looks like they are keeping prices the same. Alexi must have taken feedback into account and gotten the prices rolled back. I wonder what the whole story is.

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. Then I won't rethink my stance. My brains tired of all this thinking anyway. :)

13. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you that going up against NFL is a bad idea. However, I think that the real reason MLS cannot change its schedule to mirror the EPL's is the weather.

What?

England's temperatures and weather are very, very moderate during the winter compared to some of the denser parts of the United States.

London:

October, 8-14c
    November, 5-10c
    December, 4-7c
    January, 2-6

Boston,

October, 8-17c
    November, 2-9c
    December, -4-4
    January, -7-2

Chicago,

October, 8-16c
    November, 1-8c
    December, -5-2c
    January, -8-0

Yes, I know the Russians run their season in Alaska-like conditions without complaints. If you and I drank that much vodka on a regular basis we could probably handle the cold too.

14. sharkeyca

sharkeyca New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree, in fact, most of the people here don't question his passion or enthusiasm, but his incompetence is staggering, as is his grasp on reality. This isn't the kind of job that you can hold if you don't like it or give it your all. You'd have to love soccer and the team more than anything to stick w/ it. However, you also have to be good at it in order to win, and that's the thing La-Loss lacks. He's very passionate and works hard at his job, but he's just bad at it. Exactly like Alan Gordon.

15. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the assessment of Alexi's desire and love of the game.

Someone earlier hit the nail on the head when they mentioned he is probably best utilized as a spokesman/front office guy for the MLS in general, not working for AEG making player personnel decisions.

16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is where Paul Bravo comes in. Having just been promoted to Technical Director, I think he takes away a lot of the player personnel decisions from Lalas and Lalas does become much more of a spokesman/front office guy.

17. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad no one has asked him this question:

Mr.Lalas forget about the past, we'd like to know what are you going to do to improve the Galaxy team from now on?

=====
    I gave him some credits for coming out on the show,you have to admit that he is a good talker,he can answer any question without thinking.
    He will be in this position for awhile,this country loves bullshiters I know Tim L. is his victim,he will buy anything that Lalas sells(for another 2 years?)

At the end of the show,the guy on the left called Lalas "Don King of soccer" Why?

B/C he's a big B/S

18. durant0s

durant0s Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Klein, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its because hes a good promoter of things. Anyways, I think Lalas is a lot better then people think he is and your right he is a good BSer and yes that is what gets most people to the top in our country. Thats one of the reasons why I think if you guys give him more time he'll make some more great moves for you. Do you remember this guy from the 90's MNT? He was basically a hippie. So if someone hired him its gotta be fore a pretty good reason.

19. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My ticket rep. returned my email today.. Bill Armistead... no increase for renewals. Mine was $490 in south end zone.. Renewal packages should go out next week,, 25% down holds it until next year, plus, if you want to move your location, you are in line for them to accomodate as space and location permits. I sit near the tunnel and too much distractions, so I do want to move.. Will see how this plays out.. This kind of ties in to what Alexi said to the caller on the call in show, call your ticket rep and you wil be surprised.. I was surprised..Now if we can upgrade the team, get a healthy Becks and get some winning way back next year, then I will feel alot better than I was feeling after reading these boards.. Note- bills first phone call said the price was going to $530, the second phone call said no increase.. so obviously, things were very much in flux, or ticket reps. were all not getting the same info... or , ALexi did come in and say , cut the increase...... No info on decreases..... I am ok on the ticket.. Now if we can do something about $15-20 parking and $8 beers.....

20. y-o-y

y-o-y New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    LBC
    I find it especially ironic that one of his favorite catch phrases is "the reality of the situation is..."

21. Shanoni

Shanoni New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I am in...I want a sixer of newcastle! finally i might get something out of this galaxy diaster of a year. Once again, I think the soccer gods that I am a DC United fan (I now live in LA and have season tickets to the galaxy)

22. bzygo

bzygo New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Alief (Houston), Tx
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago was tropical compared to when I lived in Wausau, Wisconsin. I'd much rather bundle up and watch a game, like the folks in Green Bay, then sweat like crazy in the heat and humidity we have down here in Houston.

23. bzygo

bzygo New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Alief (Houston), Tx
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it is Aramark, you can't do anything about the $8 beers.

I love that I can buy a six pack of 16 oz Miller Lite's at the over-priced convenience store for less then $8, but then spend $8 for just one at a game; however, I don't need to because I can tailgate and drink all the beer I want for just $5.

24. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an important distinction to be made between what you would do and what most Americans would tolerate.

Then again, Chicago, New England, Green Bay, Seattle, and Philadelphia have open air stadiums for the NFL season. Minnessota used to be open air, but now they have deep contensious debates about whether their baseball stadium should be open or domed.

25. bzygo

bzygo New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Alief (Houston), Tx
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the same person who thinks that the Super Bowl should be played in open air stadiums in the North, none of this Miami stuff.