Alert : MSNBC Poll

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Daksims, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/787245.asp
    What will you watch if baseball strikes? Last I saw soccer was @ 12%
    It's halfway down the page. Gives a pretty crappy view of soccer in the article.

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic article. My favorite part/quote, " The NFL made a good move in revamping its summer experience, developing and establishing its European arm as a viable entity and making itself the first pro league with a truly international base". Last word I heard was that NFL Europe was a dog and the NFL owners wanted to sack the thing because the learning curve was too long for people in Europe to understand the game.

This ties into the the previous topics about what the match atmosphere should be like. Change a few things now, because if the baseball guys go on strike a few fans could possibly be turned with an entertaining atmosphere. Although, NASCAR could be their outlet because it allows one to sit on his arse, drink Budweiser or some other cheap beer, and generally all at a slow pace.

3. JodenRapidsFan

JodenRapidsFan New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    E-Ville
    i have some friends in Spain that said they understood the game of American Football, but that it was just plain boring. too many stops, and too many pads. they really didn't like the pads, haha.

4. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic big soccer ballot stuffing and poll busting, but the poll shows 38% soccer, 37% NASCAR, 20% NFL and 2% NBA. I love it!!

That article wasn't very complimentary towards soccer and the Frank Deford quote was asinine. Comparing soccer to mumblety peg? Is there any intellectual honesty in sports journalism? I realize a certain amount of hyperbole goes into all sports writing, but give me a break.

5. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    Soccer up to 41%!!

6. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    We are good at ballot stuffing. Especially when somebody pisses us off! :D

7. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Yeah, we are pretty good at that. Soccer is running away with the lead at 50%.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    This vote-stuffing business does amuse me so, but I've been wondering: Does anyone actually believe flooding internet polls is going to change peoples' perceptions of soccer instead of just furthering the image of "SoccerFan?"

Don't mind me ... just getting an early start on curmudgeonship.

9. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I think so, on a very low level. Any mention of soccer in the media is a good thing. Also, people tend to want to check something out if it gets popular enough, or if there is a perception that it's popular. So if a tv station is running a poll and some anchor is like,"blah blah blah...in our poll tonight, most people would like to see soccer replace baseball as the national pastime blah blah blah" then some people might be like, "Wow, soccer is really catching on" or like "Hey, a lot of people must be fans and going to games, I should go sometime too 'cause other people like it"....then that's cool.

Sorry, I've been at work for almost 12 hours. Hope this makes sense.

10. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're righy R/A. People are basically sheep, that's why crap like Britney Spears, Budweiser and the NFL are popular. Give me Rancid, McEwan's and futbol anyday.

11. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Them's fightin' words.

12. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Rancid McEwans? Blecch.

Also, there are two big reasons why Brittney Spears is popular.

13. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    You mean talent and the fortune to have some good genes?

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    The latter yes, I dunno about the talent.

15. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even know about this, any chick can buy a rack...