Alejandro Bedoya signs with swedish Örebro SK

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by david_c, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    there is also the visibility factor. I don't follow Portugal well enough to know, but I would bet there is a pretty good pipeline from Sporting and a few other teams to Spain.

The same is true for Gers and Celtic - players on those teams get seen in the EPL. So if that is your goal, it is a good potential route.

Of course players get scouted all over, but Gers and Celtic get more attention than they probably deserve, and certainly more than some other clubs, just due to location, reputation and strength of their rivalry.

2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Seems like most players on the gers/celtic level transfer most often to the championship.

3. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihBWXwJRYEw"]Alejandro Bedoya miss against Djurgården - YouTube[/ame]

Bedoya played the full game today as Örebro beat Djurgården 2-0. He again played a more defensive role so he wasn't very visible in the game except for the miss in the video clip. It's hard to rate how well he did defensively as Djurgården remained goalless mostly due to their own inefficiency in front of goal. Örebro have now followed up their previous five game losing streak directly with a four game winning streak instead, so things have changed very quickly for the club.

In other news Bedoyas agent write on Twitter that Rangers have now made a final bid and won't negotiate anymore beyond that. He's a little unclear with what he's saying because he also writes that Bedoya will play with Örebro for the rest of the season. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

4. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya's agent is lyorks on twitter...where are you seeing this because I don't see any tweets about that.

5. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Patrick Mörk is also his agent (don't ask me how these things work :p). His twitter is http://twitter.com/#!/AgentMork. It's in swedish though.

6. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, thanks. A lot of our players seem to have both an American agent and a European agent.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Agents often have a liaison in foreign countries.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't read the whole thread, but just from a sampling, a few comments:

(1) Let's get this red herring out of the way. You can get hurt in any league at any time. Everyone understands this. Please no one play this card again. We're talking about comparative rates of injury.

(2) I've watched quite a bit of the Scottish League over the years. It's a league that has a lot of hard tackles. I don't have the statistics, but just from sight, I'd say it is rougher than most first division leagues. Hard tackles occur often and too many will lead to injuries. Of course eyewitness judgments are unreliable, so someone would have to do a statistical study. Has this been done? The Scottish league is currently ranked #13 in Europe.

1 England
    2 Spain
    3 Germany
    4 Italy
    5 France
    6 Portugal
    7 Russia
    8 Ukraine
    9 Netherlands
    10 Greece
    11 Turkey
    12 Denmark
    13 Belgium
    14 Switzerland
    15 Austria
    16 Scotland
    17 Cyprus
    18 Israel
    19 Croatia
    20 Czech Republic
    21 Belarus
    22 Romania
    23 Sweden
    24 Poland
    25 Norway

(3) The football in England is also pretty rough. The Premiership is less rough than the lower leagues, as there is more quality in defending, but still it's a pretty rough league. What the EPL is or isn't doesn't change what the Scottish league is or isn't.

As an aside, I'm not sure which league is better overall, the Spanish or the English leagues, but I think the football is a higher quality in the Spanish league overall, and I would go there if I had an opportunity over England. That's just my opinion. The football is less physical, too. Of course the speed of play is higher in England than anywhere else, and that's something to consider. The Bundesliga is now ranked #3 in Europe, and that is certainly a place to consider. It's a happy medium between the Spanish and English styles of play. I don't think Bedoya has an offer from the Spanish or German leagues, so this paragraph is not really relevant to the thread unless such an offer appears.

No matter where one goes, to play is always the most important goal. Sitting on the bench is a disaster. I would never go to a club where I felt I had a significant chance of not playing.

Rangers is obviously a big club of quality. That's hard to turn down coming from Sweden, but this offer should be considered carefully given the character of the Scottish league (physical and top heavy).

9. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's done. He's got his work permit. He's going in January. The only question is whether Rangers pay to get him now or they wait until he's free. Either way, he's going.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I am still waiting for someone, anyone, to present any sort of evidence that a player is more likely to get hurt in the SPL than other leagues. I think that anyone who pays attention would think hands down the EPL is more dangerous.

I haven't found any studies that break injuries down by league - although there is an interesting study that the English team apparently looked at the shows the relationship between pre WC games and injuries - one of the conclusions is you only get hurt more if you lose - (so I guess you should only play weaker comp - or be the best?)

One unscientific survey I have done is roll through a bunch of guys "worst 10/5/20 etc. tackles of all time" - there is only one that I've found that was by an SPL player - a Souness tackle from his Gers day. There is a Gazza tackle, but it's when he was in England - Many are WC or Qualies: Schumacher v France, Cameroon on Caniggia, Mardonna tripped from behind, De Jong v. Spain. There are Juliper, Turkey and lots of EPL ...

Now, these are obviously the worst of the worst and don't tell a complete story, but I still have not seen a shred of evidence, save a "feeling" that the SPL is rough. As I've said, the SPL has lots of issues, and it may have a higher per-minute injury rate than other leagues, but I've seen no evidence of that. Come on, soccer wonk. Step up the spot.

11. soonertony

soonertony Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of people have presented evidence! Namely, their personal observations various leagues. You may not find it to be compelling evidence, and it's certainly not definitive evidence, but evidence it is!

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this seems to be a done deal..if Bedoya can become a a good player for Rangers there will be opportunities for him. These days Celtic and Rangers seem to be selling clubs.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You are correct sir. May I rephrase: any non-crap evidence. (and if it's not Scottish its ... well, nevermind.)

Seriously tho, some enterprising sports med student must have done this kind of study some place.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    as of Fri the permit was granted and McCoist was still talking about getting him to Gers for this season and to play in Europa. Didn't see any more on it today. The Swedes are said to want 400k for him, even tho he's free in Jan.

And there's a rumor Gers are looking at Boca too, although they could be bringing in one or two other defenders as well, and are hoping to get Cuellar to come back, depending on health.

15. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    Rangers are getting a real bargain. The going rate is higher. Even two central defenders with the same contract length recently left the same league for significantly more.

16. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Örebro newspaper NA report that the deal is done. Örebro won't give the exact figure but say that the accepted bid is larger then what Rangers originally offered (before they tried to lower it).

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably not much higher

18. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Grant Wahl is reporting it as well.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Just in time to miss Champions League.

20. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    He can still play in Europa with them.

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    But it was fun while it lasted!

22. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  23. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_69ltZnHTU"]Alejandro Bedoya on leaving Örebro - YouTube[/ame]

24. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States